My positive experience with finasteride

Hi , I’ve been using the drug for years so can’t really remember what it was like when I started first using . My advice would be to not use generics as they appear to not be as efficient. A cheap way of getting branded meds is by cutting proscar into 5ths . I personally think slot of the sides are in the head but I’m no doctor so only speaking on my experience.
Certain generics such as Teva are safe and reputable. I would be weary of many non western or Israeli generics.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, wibbles180 said:

Finasteride is still doing its magic ! 

Happy for you. Also jealous, as I trialed finasteride fully expecting it to work great with no side effects. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case. Sadly if you can’t tolerate fin you are at a huge disadvantage, hairloss-wise. 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Administrators

Glad finasteride is working for you mate. How many years have you been on it?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on and off. Every time I’ve been on it , I would have great results but I’m not sure if it’s all in my mind but I seem to not have a good erection if at all. I recently met someone so I had to kill off finasteride and my wood came back but at the same time my hair started thinning again and it’s only been 2-3 months since I gave up the pill.

thats why I’ve been really considering hair Transplant. I’ll get a picture here soon.

is anyone else here having the side effects when on the pill ? Or is it all in my head?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I started losing my hair in the front at age 18. I’ve taken fin once a day for the past 20 years with no side effects. It has helped me keep the hair that I have over the years and I have fathered 3 kids with no problems at all. It works...point blank!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 3:07 AM, hairlossPA said:

did you/have you noticed any major shedding cycles with your hair? I have been going on a huge rollercoaster of regrowth, to a major shedding, to regrowth, to shedding, etc...

wondering when this will stabilize...

my thread here: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/53087-finasteride-results-6-months/

Hi, I’ve never really noticed any shedding per se . Although I did stop taking for a while and I just felt the quality of my hair was negatively effected . I have personally never had any known side effects apart from massive improvement to my hair :) 

On 1/5/2020 at 3:32 AM, Triple7 said:

I started losing my hair in the front at age 18. I’ve taken fin once a day for the past 20 years with no side effects. It has helped me keep the hair that I have over the years and I have fathered 3 kids with no problems at all. It works...point blank!

Totally agree ! 

On 10/15/2019 at 6:55 AM, Cahustler said:

I was on and off. Every time I’ve been on it , I would have great results but I’m not sure if it’s all in my mind but I seem to not have a good erection if at all. I recently met someone so I had to kill off finasteride and my wood came back but at the same time my hair started thinning again and it’s only been 2-3 months since I gave up the pill.

thats why I’ve been really considering hair Transplant. I’ll get a picture here soon.

is anyone else here having the side effects when on the pill ? Or is it all in my head?

Personally I wouldn’t eve go down the the HT route without using fin , unless your one of the lucky guys with minimal loss . 

The key is catching the loss early , I wish I’d got on it 5 years earlier . It took me seeing my crown start to open up to start looking at hair loss meds ... I’m ashamed to say I actually ordered some random drug called provillus prior to finding this forum and Spex who lead me to dr edgar’s prescriptions! My pictures are the proof of just how effective finasteride is ! 

On 10/14/2019 at 10:55 PM, Cahustler said:

Although I believe it’s a minority of patients, there are definitely a decent number individuals who suffer from side effects. It seems to be luck of the draw as to who is spared and who has problems. 

People stating that it’s “all in the head” are doing a disservice to those who are weighing the risks and benefits and deciding whether they want to take fin. The risk is real. Some decide the potential benefits outweighs the risks, others do not. It’s a personal decision. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wibbles180 said:

Personally I wouldn’t eve go down the the HT route without using fin , unless your one of the lucky guys with minimal loss . 

The key is catching the loss early , I wish I’d got on it 5 years earlier . It took me seeing my crown start to open up to start looking at hair loss meds ... I’m ashamed to say I actually ordered some random drug called provillus prior to finding this forum and Spex who lead me to dr edgar’s prescriptions! My pictures are the proof of just how effective finasteride is ! 

Thanks for updating us through the years. Are you on anything else such as nizoral shampoo and/or supplements?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 3:52 AM, LonelyGraft said:

Thanks for updating us through the years. Are you on anything else such as nizoral shampoo and/or supplements?

Nothing other than finasteride , I was using minoxidil for a while but didn’t feel that it helped and was a pain to use . Tried nizoral but again no known benefits, work out stay fit and proscar every other day at the moment ... my hair is in absolutely fantastic shape at the mo but starting to go grey !!! 😆🙈.... I can handle grey hair but no hair would have been difficult for me . 

22 hours ago, wibbles180 said:

Nothing other than finasteride , I was using minoxidil for a while but didn’t feel that it helped and was a pain to use . Tried nizoral but again no known benefits, work out stay fit and proscar every other day at the moment ... my hair is in absolutely fantastic shape at the mo but starting to go grey !!! 😆🙈.... I can handle grey hair but no hair would have been difficult for me . 

How long did you use Minoxidil and how did it impact your hair loss after stopping it?

I was on minoxidil for almost 12 months and just before my surgery stopped and don't feel like coming back to it.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:40 PM, Rolandas said:

How long did you use Minoxidil and how did it impact your hair loss after stopping it?

I was on minoxidil for almost 12 months and just before my surgery stopped and don't feel like coming back to it.

I’m not sure it had a positive or negative effect for me , I used myself minox for at least 12 months religiously ! Didn’t wean off it either but fortunately didn’t shed as I don’t believe I had any gains due to the minox .

• Like 1

• 11 months later...