Round 2 with Rahal -- 1204 FUT to frontal third (same area)

Ernie

Here are the specifics of my 2nd FUT with Dr. Rahal, which I had done 3 days ago. Previously I had a 3185 FUT to my frontal third with Dr. Rahal in February 2016, when I was 40yo.

3 days ago (age 42yo now -- bday is 2/19/75), I re-addressed the same area to boost my density in the frontal third even further, to almost 70 grafts/cm2 in zone 1 and in the front part of zone 2. (first 2 cm of hairline, sometimes referred to as zone A).

My hair caliber is very fine, and my # of hairs / graft in the donor region (on average) is less than 2 hairs / graft.

So, I have to pack a lot into my frontal third to get the "wow, amazing hairline" look that I'm after. So... round two with Dr. Rahal was 1204 grafts. Here's the breakdown:

1 unit grafts = 305

2 unit grafts = 723

3 unit grafts = 176

4 unit grafts = 0 (none!) :-(

total grafts = 1204

total hairs = 2279

average # of hairs / graft = 1.89 hairs/gr

----

I'm waiting on a picture of what my first FUT scar looked like after they completely shaved my head down to a 0 blade. I remember seeing it, and it looked negligible. Waiting on the pic for you guys, nonetheless.

Pics below are labeled according. Pre-op, immediate post op, and the pics I took at home just now, which is "day 3 post-op"

----

For my first procedure, with the dense packing, my swelling was TERRIBLE. And later on down the line, my shockloss was TERRIBLE -- see previous thread (in my signature)

For this 2nd procedure, because only roughly one-third the # of grafts into the same area, and less analgesic injection amounts I think, etc., I have observed ONLY MINIMAL SWELLING in my face. Very happy about that -- wonder if it will translate to lesser amount of shockloss in a month or so??? That'd be awesome of course. Time will tell.

Bottom line -- second time around with FUT has been so, so, so much easier and enjoyable as far as the "post-op aches, hassles, pains" go.

FYI -- my other scars on the back of my head (above the smiley face) are from a bad car accident 10 years ago. Got run over in a crosswalk and the back of my head went into the oncoming car's windshield.

Here's the pics:

pre2nd-1.jpg.79984ac6fb6bc7c228b27d35d7c42837.jpg

pre2nd-2.jpg.d59c333dd1f08ed771de9408a1c286f1.jpg

pre2nd-3.jpg.ef93e6dc94307d6cb84efabd0cd8a43b.jpg

pre2nd-4.jpg.0ee7b029bf7e3c91420df7a675e522df.jpg

post2nd-1.jpg.6bdb666877f2d52b4c75c2d9d6583c99.jpg

post2nd-2.jpg.6fab74833a207cf318fb7f35fddf73b6.jpg

post2nd-3.jpg.d0736553dae34322524b5e09f398df3d.jpg

post2nd-4.jpg.322f5ab26a71abea6a2356a2ad7872ea.jpg

day3-8.thumb.jpg.e09ac4311ea5c564882ac28f4dca825f.jpg

day3-1.thumb.jpg.cf7ab16bb0c566dd904509f7a4f00cfb.jpg

day3-2.thumb.jpg.971461542e70fd50bf3ab2ba4b97ab91.jpg

day3-3.thumb.jpg.3a4a772649e61e97fcabd8b7c3165b4b.jpg

day3-4.thumb.jpg.365c0e06ae0af1b394a916c14ec81f5e.jpg

day3-5.jpg.ee02ff96f249790b559c51fcc87945ab.jpg

day3-6.jpg.7e77eae103d006d98b34af45814eeb1b.jpg

day3-7.jpg.b4847b51d9d2c6583ab232b78529ac55.jpg

Edited by Ernie

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's how my scar from round 1 turned out. Pretty good, don't you think?

IMG_5138.thumb.jpg.c4608377592669a455698e86e4ce653a.jpg

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

I don't understand why would someone choose FUT over FUE. There are plenty of top FUE results better than FUT and carrying that scar for life time doesn't seem logical. But I hope you will be more than pleased with your result at the end. :)

I don't understand why would someone choose FUT over FUE. There are plenty of top FUE results better than FUT and carrying that scar for life time doesn't seem logical. But I hope you will be more than pleased with your result at the end. :)

Stick around a bit, and maybe you'll understand why FUT is better for some of us. Careful, it may even be a better route for you as well. Or maybe it won't :-)

If you saw Ernie's amazing results from his first FUT procedure with Dr. Rahal you would have to agree with him that he would be crazy to go elsewhere for the second round.

Work looks very clean as expected, good healing to you man and here's hoping for early growth for you.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

If you saw Ernie's amazing results from his first FUT procedure with Dr. Rahal you would have to agree with him that he would be crazy to go elsewhere for the second round.

Work looks very clean as expected, good healing to you man and here's hoping for early growth for you.

I saw his first procedure, that is why I commented FUT wouldn't worth it. I don't think its an amazing result. Its a good result but nothing special. If you think its amazing check out Koray Erdogan's FUE works. Here I put an example,

Koray Erdo

Edited by SanDiegan

I saw his first procedure, that is why I commented FUT wouldn't worth it. I don't think its an amazing result. Its a good result but nothing special. If you think its amazing check out Koray Erdogan's FUE works. Here I put an example,

Koray Erdo

The case you posted in that link is ridiculous! Firstly the pre op photos are shown with WET hair and post op with DRY. Secondly, the hair loss wasn't that bad but, as is a feature of Dr Erdogans Work, he uses far too much finite donor hair on lower Norwood cases. This does not bide well for the future!

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

The case you posted in that link is ridiculous! Firstly the pre op photos are shown with WET hair and post op with DRY. Secondly, the hair loss wasn't that bad but, as is a feature of Dr Erdogans Work, he uses far too much finite donor hair on lower Norwood cases. This does not bide well for the future!

The post op photos were posted by the client, but its obvious that the result is a success even though its dry. Why would it be ridiculous, are you blind? And he always plans it for the future. For example in my case he counted by donor capacity as 8000 grafts and saved the other 4000 for the future. So I don't think he uses too much grafts, its all planned and I believe using as much as grafts makes it more natural..

4000 grafts in the frontal third is overkill in any scenario. If you're happy with you're result that's fantastic I'm happy for you. But you're donor has a dramatic thinning now visible compared to the very dense nape area that hasn't been touched. If you grow it out it will also feel much different. Strips maintain density, maintain yield, reduce fibrosis, etc. They both have they're place, but for mega sessions, strip is the only responsible option.

No, not only in the frontal. 1000 to the vertex and 800 to the sides. I agree strips maintain density but still I would not prefer having a scar on my head in my whole life. The photo is taken just 10 days after 0 blade cut and under professional lights that is taken by the clinic. Even the untouched hair might look like that if its that short. You wouldn't recognize it in real life that no one realized I had a hair transplant after the peeling. Everybody thought I just had a buzz cut for summer :) And when you grow it out its impossible to suspect any thinning on the donor area. Whatever I don't want to ruin Ernie's thread, if you guys are happy its the most important thing.

Koray Erdo

Really bordering on continuous D-bag type of commentary here...

If you want to debate FUE vs FUT probably would be best to do it in a separate thread and not hijack Ernie's HT#2 experience thread.

First of all if you've ever interacted with Ernie you would know from his positiveness and confidence that his results have had an amazing impact on him.

Second, an objective comparison of the pre-op vs 12 month results on page 21 of his original thread shows the outcome was certainly better than just "good."

I added a collage of the pics below in case you're too lazy to go back and really check the images.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics-21.html

And as someone who has undergone smaller FUE procedures after FUT, I think he did the right thing not going to a doctor who is located in a geopolitically unstable area currently and is known to use ridiculous graft counts even in smaller cases.

I am a fan of Erdogan and have researched him thoroughly, but he would not be my first choice for smaller touchup procedures given how many grafts he likes to use.

Tell me how the result is "nothing special"...

Ernie.jpg.485f186cc6552888f554a9149548f914.jpg

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Nothing much to add really except that Ernie your results are absolutely spectacular and by your interaction and constant updates here you seem like a very positive, stand up guy. Congratulations, well deserved!

I am yet to have a HT but have been considering FUE for about 4 years. I started fin 4 years ago though (36 now) and I've barely lost any ground since then so it's definitely delayed my decision. I'm glad it did - as I'm now seriously considering FUT!

Really bordering on continuous D-bag type of commentary here...

If you want to debate FUE vs FUT probably would be best to do it in a separate thread and not hijack Ernie's HT#2 experience thread.

First of all if you've ever interacted with Ernie you would know from his positiveness and confidence that his results have had an amazing impact on him.

Second, an objective comparison of the pre-op vs 12 month results on page 21 of his original thread shows the outcome was certainly better than just "good."

I added a collage of the pics below in case you're too lazy to go back and really check the images.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics-21.html

And as someone who has undergone smaller FUE procedures after FUT, I think he did the right thing not going to a doctor who is located in a geopolitically unstable area currently and is known to use ridiculous graft counts even in smaller cases.

I am a fan of Erdogan and have researched him thoroughly, but he would not be my first choice for smaller touchup procedures given how many grafts he likes to use.

Tell me how the result is "nothing special"...

I am not going to go through this and enter into an argument. I said what my opinion is and still think that way. I hope everyone gets the result they want at the end.

Critical day 10 has come and gone.

Today is day 12, the day I've been instructed to get stitches out. Day after tomorrow, day 14, I can let shower water hit my head with gentle rubbing.

Minimal scabbing, minimal redness. Scar healing like it did in round 1 with no issues.

May just let shower hit my recipient area on day 13 however. Feels about that time...

Here's pic from day 11.

IMG_5160.thumb.jpg.85ab2416097cc32e4e772e68f170cda1.jpg

Good stuff Ernie. Wish you the best. You made the right call with the surgery type. I am so happy for you. By the end of the year, you can sit back and relax, enjoy the beaches.

Koray Erdo

Because you're limiting your graft potential with FUE alone. That, and the risk of transection is greatly increased. Where as FUT grafts are easily dissected.

Enjoy your 5,000-6,000 graft potential with FUE

Where as though who maximize FUT, and finish with FUE end up having 8000-10000 on average

If you do the math, FUE produces more scaring then a fine linear line shown from a FUT procedure. Essentially if you add up all the dots, you have a scar that resembles a baseball on the back of your head.

A good FUT surgeon will leave a pencil line on the back of your head that can be easily cut to a #2 guard

Because you're limiting your graft potential with FUE alone. That, and the risk of transection is greatly increased. Where as FUT grafts are easily dissected.

Enjoy your 5,000-6,000 graft potential with FUE

Where as though who maximize FUT, and finish with FUE end up having 8000-10000 on average

If you do the math, FUE produces more scaring then a fine linear line shown from a FUT procedure. Essentially if you add up all the dots, you have a scar that resembles a baseball on the back of your head.

A good FUT surgeon will leave a pencil line on the back of your head that can be easily cut to a #2 guard

Agreed. My FUT scar for #1 was minuscule, and Dr. Rahal said I have another 3000 FUT grafts in the bank still.

• 3 weeks later...

32 days post-op. Not much shock-loss this time around. If you read my first thread (first HT), I had bad bad bad shockloss in round one at 40 days.

Just a quick, very poor quality update here. Proper update in a few days...

AS ALWAYS, I've posted my pre-op (prior to BOTH hair transplants) here as well. Helps for comparisons sake...

FullSizeRender.jpg.7757e0386396cc4e101c4efe9e4be590.jpg

32days.jpg.c10a6437ab02253c970d842686d7131a.jpg

Hi HLS2015,

Comfortability was about the same w/r/t removing the strip and the sutures post-op. I have very good laxity naturally (didn't do recommended scalp exercises). Back of my head never really felt tight and I expect a small scar again, just like I received in round 1.

In the front, this time around is much easier. More hair to begin with, coupled with less shock loss (due to a smaller graft count).

Very very happy thus far. Looking forward to losing the 24/7 hat in a few months...

Looks like everything is going well, this should make an excellent result into a stellar one.

Hope you see early growth man, though you don't need it, you have too much hair already... lol

go dense or go home

Why do you wear a hat? Your hair looks great!

Shock loss above and below my scar at the moment :-)

Any pictures of it? And if you have please a picture at the recipient :-)

Sure thing man, will update this thread with some proper pics (including donor) in a couple days...