FUE 3000-3500grafts with Dr. Bisanga

Hi all,

I've posted a couple of times on here previously.

My story briefly is as follows:

I'm in my early thirties, and have been noticeably losing my hair since around 2006 (so 10-11years), with the most rapid loss between 2012 and 2014.

My father is a NW5 slowly progressing to a 6 (but he is 70!), I'm probably a NW5 too at present but progressing towards an NW6. My maternal grandfather had a full head of hair (maybe a NW2 or NW3 at worst), my paternal grandfather didn't (probably a NW6).

Despite noticing my hair loss for the past decade or so, I haven't really taken any action.

In 2011 I trialled minoxidil for 6 months, however stopped taking it after this time due to palpitations. It worked well, I noticed new hairs forming (in my hairline), however after I stopped taking it I noticed dramatic loss in a couple months or so (hence my worse loss probably being around 2012-2013).

I never tried finasteride; I know, people are going to say; "why not?" or "just give it a try!". It's purely a personal decision; I do not wish to undergo any of those side effects nor have to take a pill for the rest of my life. If this stops me from getting a great result, then so be it.

However, I am perhaps willing to try 1mg of Propecia 3x/week; that way it would be much cheaper and also I would hopefully at less risk of sides (it’s not just the sexual ones which concern me, I have a very high functioning job, and need to be on my A game all day; I don’t want the cognition side effects either).

Anyways, I decided I would probably need multiple HT in 2013 and enquired at H&W with David Anderson. He was very amicable and he followed me up until 2016 when he left.

I actually booked a 4500+ FUT megasession with Dr. Hasson, however unfortunately I had to cancel this due to no longer being available at the dates I had booked (as I would have to fly to Canada and back this was not possible in the short amount of time I had off). I was also uneasy about undergoing FUT due to the scar. I have already told myself as a last resort that if my hair gets really bad I will just have to keep it really short or buzzcut it, this would not be possible with FUT (and is just about a possible with FUE); I understand that FUE leaves scars too, don’t worry.

They were very kind and considerate about all this and I thank them and their whole team for their professionalism. For sure if I needed a FUT they would be the first point of call; I had been researching for the last 5 years or so, and they definitely seemed the top.

I then went researching for a surgeon who did FUE who was close by but affordable.

My research brought up several familiar names: Lorenzo, Bisanga, Lupanzula and Erdogan.

These (location wise) would all be feasible in my very limited time off and all their work shows great skill. However Lorenzo never replied to my emails until several months later and I decided I didn't want to fly in the end so ruled Spain (& Lorenzo out) and Turkey out and thus Erdogan.

This left both Lupanzula and Bisanga as my top choices, they both had my dates available, and if I am correct Lupanzula worked previously with Bisanga? I was able to consult with Dr. Lupanzula over Skype however unfortunately logistically I was unable to meet him, however I was able to actually meet Dr. Bisanga in person and this definitely swung it for me.

He was very amicable, and has many have commented he doesn't promise you the world, he is very realistic, conservative (the good kind!), honest and ethical.

We decided that 3000-3500 grafts would be most appropriate with them concentrating on rebuilding the hairline and the frontal third. As you can see from my photos, the crown is also very bare, but I will have to therefore have another HT to potentially sort this out in the near future ± try propecia 3x a week.

I was classed as a NW4V although I feel my hair is worse than that; it was probably made difficult for the doctor as I had my hair very short at the time of the consultation.

In my eyes, hairline > crown coverage due to framing of the face.etc.

My hair is quite thin, and my head is quite large, therefore I am not sure what sort of coverage I would need to get a good result, but thankfully my donor density was rated as decent with 80FU/cm2 all around.

So, tomorrow I will have the first session of 3000-3500 grafts and then revisit my hair in 2 years time to either work further on the front, midscalp or deal with the vertex; depending on how much reserve I have.

I’ll try to keep updated!

Photos below are from January time; I can update with clinic photos tomorrow.

front.jpg.e2e3efa371f06e3d95b6d90bfec7faf7.jpg

front-top.jpg.c65a3d6c0dc5f57c4d36bdaf06a994be.jpg

profile.jpg.d88d6f430ed84678d5f1d04cf2f3b677.jpg

top.jpg.75d31ec5c8f465bba274108580e9115d.jpg

Edited by GuyFromTheUK

Congratulations on your choice! Dr. Bisanga, as you know, has a stellar reputation. Sounds like a solid plan. I'm looking forward to following your journey.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hey Guys; so I'm back from my first day (7am-4pm).

Have done about half of it; supposedly around 1,700 grafts so far!

Just to give you some more info;

Woke up at 5am; I've picked an unfortunately loud airbnb close to the clinic (about a 15min walk), so didn't get the sleep I would have wanted, but I was surprisingly fresh and rearing to go; probably the adrenaline getting me through!.

Had a shower, made breakfast then put my shirt on and headed out.

Arrived just before 7am, and the gates of the BHR clinic opened. Filled in all the necessary paperwork and then spoke with Dr. Bisanga again about what I wanted.

I was slightly hesistant as I did want a lower hairline than he thought i should get, but in the end I trusted him with the decision (I can always get it done lower in future procedures).

He was worried because he said he could see some retrograde alopecia (I do have a baldspot, but it doesn't currently move back from there) but the hair is a little thin.

He told me once more that I should probably consider finasteride; which is something I am STILL considering; although if I did then maybe 2 or 3 propecia tabs a week at max; I like my hormones as they are (except for the destroying my hair part). Anyways, that is something to think about at a later point.

After changing into the gown, and the shoes for the shoes, I made my way upstairs and they started shaving my head. We had forgotten to take the pictures so it was stopped halfway through and some pictures were taken before the rest of the back of my head was shaved.

Then came the drugs; 1g of Amoxi some diazepam; I've never had either drugs before - the diazepam really did knock me out, and made the whole experience much better as the anaesthetic injections into the back of the scalp....OWWWWWW..

Really painful, and I've had tattoos! although I soon got used to it.

I kept drifting in and out as Dr. Bisanga punched away. It really is an awkward position when you are lying there, it's certainly not comfortable, but the drugged up version of me didn't care all that much.

After the grafts were all punched out, it was time to make slits at the front. THIS IS WHERE THE INJECTIONS WERE HORRIBLE! Really really painful, but got through it again.

By lunch time I had one of the technicians already starting implanting the grafts in (as 2 others sorted them into 1, 2s & 3s). The technician who did mine was lovely (I can't remember her name) but she mentioned she had been there 10 years or so which was reassuring, I didn't want any newbie doing this of course.

Once again, I drifted in and out as some pop music played on the TV above, and finally at around 4pm, we stopped - supposedly around 1,700 were done that day; I would get the full count the next day though. And below are the results so far (looks like I bled a lot!; as you can see only one side has been punched so far; the other side is for tomorrow)

IMG_1806.jpg.98ce6b02fe5e5a2b168e3922b9a083b4.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg.49a53d1c4662532dafc6574f149c2e1b.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg.5dc1622a409b785e679b730096a1433b.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg.97204710db2a6aee254fca710486b7a1.jpg

Great pick in Doctor Bisanga.

I think your graft rationale is good and I think with your expectations you will get a good result.

Did the doctor estimate how many graft you have total?

Fingers crossed mate! He said it would be hard to estimate; I'll ask him again after tomorrow (when it's all done) but I was guessing around 7,000 (pretty sure he mentioned that number previously?)

I can't wait to see how this goes for you! We have very similar hair. I went FUT on the hairline first.

Yeah I noticed your post before; looks like its going well! I was originally set on an FUT (with Hasson & Wong, as mentioned in my post) but logistics and the long scar put me off in the end; although I think FUTs are definitely better for diffuse thinners like us!

All done now!

3380 grafts in total; which I think is pretty good; breakdown of the grafts was (confirmed):

- single: 881

- double: 1528

- triple: 890

- quadruple: 81

roughly 2.05 hairs per graft.

2nd day was definitely harder; I think the pain was just a bit more and that was the issue; as it was already sore from the previous day and to have further insult wasn't great.

But the day went smoothly; from 9.30am - 6pm more or less and now I'm done!

I've been given all the instructions and will visit tomorrow morning for a wash before heading to the train station.

I've got to say; Dr. Bisanga and all the staff were really lovely!

I had an especially interesting experience as I speak french (limited) and spanish; so managed to speak in 3 different languages today!

Wish me luck on my progress!

IMG_1836.jpg.50de0f6ec17ca524b4d47593ae2cd4ae.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg.b1f3f34c947852e2b0ff3c843ab9d754.jpg

IMG_1837.thumb.jpg.103c9055b9c093505ee6f2e1ef26670f.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg.6b247bddb06c3baadaa2382794d4fd72.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg.4637d9aca49e6785a215c4fadb4a6e3e.jpg

IMG_1841.thumb.jpg.25bfcea7f80ea6aecbc787ae0f5738bc.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg.427fa992228996d44e9bd8c1512d8fb3.jpg

Edited by GuyFromTheUK
update of info

hi,

Why did he say that you may have retrograde alopecia? Is it because you are a bit thin in areas just above the ears?

I ask because I have the exact same condition lol. But as fas as I can remember, my hairs above the ears have always been thinned.

hi,

Why did he say that you may have retrograde alopecia? Is it because you are a bit thin in areas just above the ears?

I ask because I have the exact same condition lol. But as fas as I can remember, my hairs above the ears have always been thinned.

I think he meant it's receded below the crown.... progressing to a NW6 pattern. I'm not entirely sure to be honest :/

All done now!

3380 grafts in total; which I think is pretty good; I think the breakdown of the grafts was:

singles: 890

doubles: 2100

triples: 300

quadruples: 46

(or something like that; that may/may not add up right).

a bit sad i didn't get all that many triples;

Since we have similar hair, you can compare to my data. I averaged 1.90 hairs/graft, and you averaged a similar 1.83/graft. While you didn't rock the triples, you impressively had quads!!!

My data:

Single: 662

Double: 2003

Triple: 363

Total: 3025

Grow on, bro!

My HT Journey

The FUT surgery experience and results

Disguising my FUT Scar

Medications and Supplements

Supplements: Biotin, MSM

5% Minoxidil Foam

Regenepure Shampoo (re-starting 1mo after HT)

Since we have similar hair, you can compare to my data. I averaged 1.90 hairs/graft, and you averaged a similar 1.83/graft. While you didn't rock the triples, you impressively had quads!!!

My data:

Single: 662

Double: 2003

Triple: 363

Total: 3025

Grow on, bro!

Sorry; I've given the wrong info; must have been my post-op haze..

officially:

- single: 881

- double: 1528

- triple: 890

- quadruple: 81

we've got this ;)

Almost at day 6; I've had almost no swelling at all; is that normal? It seems odd; I was really expecting it.

Only update is recipient is drrrryyyy... but i'm spraying it w/ bentadine every day & washing it w/ warm water (not touching it).

Update from Day 7!

So; first of all, it's been really odd; I've had basically no swelling at all since the procedure! I'll count that as a good thing!

I have been wearing my bandana when I've gone out although this does leave my donor area exposed to the sun (and it's particularly sunny around England right now); so I've been a bit worried.

From tomorrow (day 8); I've decided I'll wear a beanie (I didn't want to wear one before as I was worried it would tug on the hair due to the material).

Also; I'll finally be able to touch the recipient zone tomorrow (lightly). It will be nice to start removing some of the scabs forming (see the photos and look at those lovely yellow crusts).

Looking all OK at the mo; I'm trying to decide when and how to use finasteride; been contemplating 1mg EOD (M,W,F) or 0.5mg EOD.

Congratulations on your choice! Dr. Bisanga, as you know, has a stellar reputation. Sounds like a solid plan. I'm looking forward to following your journey.

Best of luck!

Thanks David.

A small favour, do you think you would be able to (if possible) change the name of the thread to: FUE 3380 grafts with Dr. Bisanga rather than 3000-3500 (which it is currently seen as still?).

Many thanks

IMG_8292.jpg.87d3a36670d7cd19a284706ef36d67c8.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg.11b97e9b7386e870def3095ecf12c052.jpg

IMG_6440.jpg.b38252e5fe943a0799c36c2a3008205d.jpg

IMG_2067.thumb.jpg.fca1d758bba32eac1b8bb03fa4413176.jpg

IMG_9557.thumb.jpg.bd4260c79c4ee99ca94e5058a1ce1974.jpg

Edited by GuyFromTheUK

Just a quick update.

Haven't been wearing any headgear now (even at work), i don't think it currently looks too obvious and it's only 14 days! however I am aware that as soon as I start shedding the new hair I'll look a mess!

All crusting.etc came off by around day 9/10 (as soon as I was able to lay my finger tips on it! (softly).

Also took my first dose of finasteride (0.5mg) on Monday; currently trying out 0.5mg MWF and seeing how I do on it. Wanna sort & retain whatever I have left on my crown (not much by the looks of it).

You can see that marks from the FUE; but I'm hoping that will fade over time.

Also the top doesn't look mega dense but again; I can't expect miracles from 3380 grafts...

hopefully it will thicken out, and look better in the next 6-12 months!

IMG_2332.jpg.a9406f9bb4975a363a6dca1a688e90c4.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg.adda631b44d1483be0ad6471a2f1a8b2.jpg

IMG_2334.thumb.jpg.f91c3cd64d5ee18de783d06e0bc4f2f7.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg.0ac83efabd199911df77b62127e9e36b.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg.94ccfe0dea5e3b7b5d3b0b6bad7be12b.jpg

IMG_2340.thumb.jpg.78a127a2232ef076ae9360c1a4271092.jpg

Hey mate, looks great. I think my hair is in a similar state to how yours was. Was wondering if you care to share how much the procedure costed you? Thanks in advanced :)

Thanks;

So just what the BHR clinic website says: 12,140 euros; but I paid in GBP so just over ?10,000.

Congratulations on your surgery with Dr Bisanga. I think you made the right decision to go with FUE all things considered. You look to be healing well after 14 days. Look forward to following your progress.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

Congratulations on your surgery with Dr Bisanga. I think you made the right decision to go with FUE all things considered. You look to be healing well after 14 days. Look forward to following your progress.

Thanks David; appreciate all your help too, and yes; I'm very happy I went FUE; even though I know I would have been able to get more grafts w/ FUT.

Hey!

I think I am just like you too! Thank you for sharing! Looks great. You motivated me to take the plunge.

How long do you plan to grow your hair?

On my side, I would like to keep them shaved. Is this something possible with FUE as you did? Any drawbacks?

Looking forward your updates!

See you!

Hey!

I think I am just like you too! Thank you for sharing! Looks great. You motivated me to take the plunge.

On my side, I would like to keep them shaved. Is this something possible with FUE as you did? Any drawbacks?

See you!

Same question here. I have some grafts implanted on my side. Can I shave the transplanted hairs just like normal hairs after lets say 6 months?

does dr b do his own extractions?

Dr. B does all the punching & extractions & also makes all the slits.

His technicians then insert the grafts into the slits. I still need to follow them up to see what their transection rate was.

Hey!

See you!

You're welcome. Dr. B is a pro, i'd definitely recommend him & BHR!

Yeah; so I wanna still keep my back/sides short even if 12 months time.

Here are my 21 day post-FUE pics; as you can see sides and back are still really short and it's pretty hard to notice anything has been done (except for the recipient site where you can see the redness.etc).

Plan on shaving my head in a couple weeks! (using the guard of course!)

Same question here. I have some grafts implanted on my side. Can I shave the transplanted hairs just like normal hairs after lets say 6 months?

You can shave your transplanted grafts after 1 month (according to the rep of Dr. B). I plan on just shaving down my head every couple weeks until it all starts growing together.

As you can all see my crown is quite bare too! I've started taking 0.5mg of propecia MWF; so going to see if that helps at all.

5b32f307e7906_IMG_2454copy.jpg.f6d52ce6cb45ce892cbd045a14693324.jpg

5b32f308165cc_IMG_2456copy.thumb.jpg.0d81c2d4c945996e477ad9705dd8533e.jpg

5b32f3083156c_IMG_2458copy.thumb.jpg.bc6de338e18ace526201b8854f1986cf.jpg

5b32f30855f20_IMG_2459copy.jpg.2a282cb32e3d29af94236e888c86e7f2.jpg

5b32f3086b7d6_IMG_2460copy.jpg.521c752515716316efccb1316ca9604e.jpg

5b32f3088303d_IMG_2461copy.thumb.jpg.901aa508e9199366f6af68c728e5806a.jpg

I would do the same. At this time, after such operation/trauma, give them some rest.. just let it grow for a few weeks/months..until it gets thicker/normal again. even if it's not the end result you're looking for.

Looks good! Keep us posted!

Take care!