Is any sun allowed?

I am currently a little over 3 months post procedure and I am heading to Tenerife next week for a few days to see a friend. I plan on wearing a cap as ASMED advice no sun exposure for 6 months. What about if I wanted to go for a five minute swim? Is that okay? Has anyone ever done the same? And if so did you put sun lotion directly on your head?

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

I would default to the advice of your physician, give them an email with your intentions and see what they say.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I am not going to expose my head for any great amount of time. I just wanted ask people's opinion on going for a 5 minute swim and if there was a need to have to cover my head still then?

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

I would definitely advise that you go with what your doctor says. Your doctor is from a warmer climate so I would think that he has lots of experience with patients who live in places with strong sunshine. I tend to think that you would be fine taking a dip for a short time at three months post-op, but your doctor is the true expert and the person whose advice you should take.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I personally wouldn't risk it ,probably would be OK for 5 minutes, but do you really want to be forever wondering have I damaged the grafts in anyway ,go for a dip but don't submerge your head just leave your hat on.

I've asked Asmed as I would like to have a quick swim here and there if I can. I've also asked them if I can apply sun screen to the recipient area.

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

As you know sunburn could still cause some issues at this stage and I would stick with a cap (baseball cap worn backwards for example) rather than putting sunscreen directly on the transplanted area.

And sit under a sun umbrella while not it the water.

Don't risk your investment and play it safe. Also pray for a cloudy day or two... lol

If you're with someone you don't want to let know about your procedure like a friend or GF, just say you're concerned about skin cancer which most of us should be anyway.

enjoy!

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Interestingly Asmed have advised that I am okay to spend 5 minutes in the sun whilst swimming as long as I don't burn the skin. They have also said it's okay at this point to apply sunscreen.

I think I will just er on the side of caution and wear a hat. I was just worried about having a ridiculous line across my forehead in the evenings.

Would anyone know why you are allowed to use a sunbed after 3 months but not sunbathe until 6 months?? Odd!!

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

Three months out from your hair transplant, you're pretty safe to go out into the sun however, be sure to wear sunscreen on your scalp. It's not even good to expose a hair transplant virgin scalp to the sun without sunscreen or a hat for an extended period of time. So that said, where a hat or wear sunscreen to protect your scalp from severe sunburn however, your grafts should be safe.

Best wishes,

Bill

I am not going to expose my head for any great amount of time. I just wanted ask people's opinion on going for a 5 minute swim and if there was a need to have to cover my head still then?

Definitely use a sun block with a high rating and do not expose your head for more than 10 minutes without a hat. Definitely want to protect those grafts.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

My doc said wear a hat when possible and use sunscreen aerosol when exposed. No other hard restrictions. This is what I did pre-HT.

My HT Journey

The FUT surgery experience and results

Disguising my FUT Scar

Medications and Supplements

Supplements: Biotin, MSM

5% Minoxidil Foam

Regenepure Shampoo (re-starting 1mo after HT)