New Finasteride Study

Mark2010

New epidemiology study suggests tens of thousands of PFS cases in young men taking finasteride for hair loss.

https://peerj.com/articles/3020/

In conclusion, among men with 5α-RI exposure, duration of 5α-RI exposure was a more accurate predictor of PED than all other assessed risk factors except prostate disease and prostate surgery. Among young men with 5α-RI exposure, duration of 5α-RI exposure was a more accurate predictor of PED than all other assessed risk factors. For each 108 young men exposed for >205 days to the finasteride dose typically used for androgenic alopecia (≤1.25 mg/day), one additional young man experienced PED when compared to those men with shorter exposure. The median duration of PED in young men was 1,534 days. We expect that our finding of an association between debilitating sexual dysfunction and exposure to finasteride or dutasteride will be of particular interest to prescribers and patients considering medical management of androgenic alopecia or symptomatic treatment of prostatic hyperplasia.

The thing is, this study doesn't really tell us anything that we don't already know: there is (at least) ~2% risk of ED when taking fin. The study here seems to be well within that number. Is fin dangerous, possibly and likely. I've been on and off for quite a while. To what extent it causes ED or PED? That seems still to be really determined.

There is a lot of controversy surrounding post finasteride syndrome. I personally believe there are enough reported concerns about it to take it seriously. Whether or not it's as serious as some would lead you to believe, I don't know. But personally, I did stop taking it over two years ago. This wasn't because I experienced any side effects, but it was personal preference.

Best wishes,

Bill

All I know is that I am going to be really pissed off if I can't get my fin anymore.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.