I know many guys resort to wearing hats/caps to hide their hair loss, but for me it’s the exact opposite…

As my hair loss is limited to my frontal corners, with some hair spray and clever styling, I am able to virtually completely disguise the fact that I have any hair loss at all… However, If I wear a hat, or put sunglasses on my head or get caught in a big gust of wind etc, it is very likely to disrupt my carefully concealed hairline which can cause me quite a lot of anxiety.

I am fair way through the application process of becoming a police officer, and believe it or not, one of my biggest concerns is that I will likely have to be continually taking a hat on/off and my recession will be exposed to a lot of people..

I know this is not a healthy way of dealing with the situation as you cannot live in a bubble all your life, but it’s how I have been living my life for a long time now. It really sucks.

Just wondering if anyone can relate to what I am saying as it's not something I hear as a regular concern..

Cheers

I 100% can relate to this, so you're definitely not alone. Before I had my HT, I would wear hats quite frequently - but only if knew I wouldn't have to take it off. Once I had "hat hair", the recession was more obvious. Same thing with going to the beach/swimming. Like you, I was a master of concealing my hair loss though without a hat.

While it may be good to know that you're not alone in your concerns, I also don't want this to sound like a "you're right, everything sucks" response. :) So with all of that said, I would like to point out that there's a very good chance that your hair loss/recession is a lot worse/noticeable to you than it is to anyone else. When I told my friends/family I had gotten a hair transplant, every single person had no idea I had even been losing my hair until I showed them my pre-op photos. Yes, I did a good job of covering it up, but this included people that had seen me with my hair wet, with hat hair, etc.

So try not to worry about it too much. You can also try experimenting with different products that keep your hair in place and give it more volume. And who knows, perhaps with a hat that's just loose fitting enough and the right product/hairstyle, you may be able to take your cop hat on and off without any issues at all.

Best of luck with the rest of your cop training. That's very commendable and much appreciated.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks for the very positive response and advice… It’s great to know that I’m not alone in this line of thinking…

Interestingly, I am also 33 (the age I believe you were when you had your procedure done?), and have a very similar pattern of hair loss as what you had..

I’ve just checked out your results and all I can say is WOW! Phenomenal! I would love to have a hair line like you have now.. Congrats :)