Oily Scalp and Forehead After Hair Transplant - What to do?

Hey guys,

I'm having an extremely oily scalp and forehead after my hair transplant (it's been 4 and half months since my procedure) and this has been going on for a while. I recall having some oil prior to my HT but not this much; I feel it has increased quite A LOT!

I'm hoping this is maybe due to the newly transplanted follicles that come with their sebaceous glands which is increasing the oil? If that's the case I think it's a good thing no? And will the oil affect the transplanted hairs?

Anyway, my doctor advised to use Sebamed Everyday Shampoo for the greasiness but I can't find it where I'm at. I found Pilfood shampoo for greasy hair and Lakme K.therapy purifying shampoo. Are they considered mild shampoos and are they any good for everyday use or should I avoid them?

Any other suggestions for mild shampoos that can be used on a daily basis to combat the oil as this is becoming quite annoying. (I am currently using Johnson Baby Shampoo and been doing so since my HT)

Ramez,

Thanks for posting your question. I wouldn't think after 4.5 months that your scalp would be oily or even dry for that matter as long as you are taking care of your scalp and hair the way you usually do and did prior to hair transplant surgery. You may want to try using shampoo for oiling scalp and hair to see if that helps. Also, how does your hair look so far at 4.5 month? And who was your surgeon? This isn't related, I was just curious since I know at that stage, I was just starting to see signs of early growth.

But I would definitely consider trying the shampoo and conditioner for oily scalp and hair.

best wishes,

Bill

Did you recently start Propecia as well around the time of your HT?

Initial oiliness from starting Propecia has been noticed by some, but usually subsides after a while.

My guess is that it's from this aspect which is affecting your hormones causing upregulation of sebum production.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Ramez,

Thanks for posting your question. I wouldn't think after 4.5 months that your scalp would be oily or even dry for that matter as long as you are taking care of your scalp and hair the way you usually do and did prior to hair transplant surgery. You may want to try using shampoo for oiling scalp and hair to see if that helps. Also, how does your hair look so far at 4.5 month? And who was your surgeon? This isn't related, I was just curious since I know at that stage, I was just starting to see signs of early growth.

But I would definitely consider trying the shampoo and conditioner for oily scalp and hair.

best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the advice Bill.

I did it with Dr. Yaman who's recommended here. I started seeing some growth at the 2.5 month mark up until around the 4th month where the rate started to slow down a bit. Hoping for more in the future!

Regarding the shampoo for oily scalp, and as Dr. Charles stated, I need something mild. Are millet extract, witch-hazel extract and nettle-extract considered natural products? Or are they harsh? Since they are the main ingredients in the Pilfood shampoo so I was wondering if it's fine to use this on a daily basis. Any advice regarding that?

Hsrp10, no I am not on Propecia but was on Rogaine before my HT and still am. However, after my FUE, I started with saw palmetto and biotin, so it might probably be because of that?

If you didn't notice this oiliness prior to your surgery then maybe the trauma to the scalp did something to overstimulate your sebaceous glands.

The biotin wouldn't have that effect but the saw palmetto could on the same lines as I mentioned about propecia.

What did your surgeon say about this btw?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Have you tried Nizoral? It may mitigate some of those symptoms, I too have an oily scalp and it helps my scalp tremendously with a sparing weekly usage.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016