Too soon for a hair transplant?

Lakershead22

Hello, I have been noticing that my hairline has been receding since I was 20 or 21. I am now 27 with a desire to fill in the corners of my hairline. After a visit to two hair restoration doctors, (one of them being a recommended doctor on this site) both came up with a range of about 800-1000 grafts to achieve what I want.

My question is..is it too early to get a procedure done? Should I try meds for a while? I have attached some photos and I would appreciate some feedback. Thank You.

20170224_161126.thumb.jpg.1ac5635e120aaa038cfb93bdec6885da.jpg

20170212_155143.thumb.jpg.6b53a928f3778293d5546253a3733562.jpg

20170112_020001.thumb.jpg.5bfcd8dac69338c1975879f7aba29c71.jpg

Yes too soon for surgery. I don't know who quoted u that, but I think ethical clinics wouldn't touch u. Can u imagine, have surgery and then u progressed further back? Plus the transplanted hair will be different than your natural hair.

Go see an ethical clinic on here, I can guarantee they won't commence surgery on you at this stage.

Lakers,

Only you can decide whether or not now is the best time for hair transplant surgery. However, you still have a lot of hair and you only just started taking hair loss medication. Thus, I'd strongly suggest waiting at least 6 months to a year to let the medicine kick in and do its job before undergoing surgery.

Best wishes

Bill

Thank you for your replies. I now have a concern that Mp96 brought up concerning ethical clinics. I visited 2 clinics. One of the visits was with a doctor that is recommended in this site. Should I be concerned that he did not turn me away? I want to believe the reason why was based on his analysis of my scalp when conducting his miniaturization evaluation.

I don't think it's as black and white as Mp96 is making it out to be. There's no hard and fast rule when it comes to age and hair transplants, and a lot of different factors go into determining whether someone is a good candidate or not for a HT procedure. I had mine done at age 30, and some would say that's too young as well. But when I factored in genetics, family history, donor density, and the miniaturization levels/patterns of the rest of my hair, I felt like it was a good choice for me. Sure, I may need other procedures in the future, but that's to be said for anyone considering a hair transplant at any point in their life. And like Bill said, only you can make this decision for yourself. It's quite complicated, and to label any clinic who would perform a procedure on a 27 year old as "unethical" is extremely misguided. I'm more concerned with the fact that based on the photos, your hair seems to be in fine shape, and I don't see a lot of recession - but the photos are so closeup it's hard to really get a good idea of what your hair/hairline look like.

That said, I do think it's a good idea to give the medication a fair shot and see if that helps. Getting a hair transplant should be taken very seriously and carefully considered. Keep doing your research, get a few other opinions with trusted surgeons (preferably those referred and vetted by this site), and make the decision that is right for you.

Best of luck!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I could have sworn I replied to this question before. Do you have two threads for this topic?

I'd say meds for a year and delay transplant at least another 2 years to see how you progress.

Good luck. Surgery is no joke, make the best move for yourself and your safety.

Hello, I have been noticing that my hairline has been receding since I was 20 or 21. I am now 27 with a desire to fill in the corners of my hairline. After a visit to two hair restoration doctors, (one of them being a recommended doctor on this site) both came up with a range of about 800-1000 grafts to achieve what I want.

My question is..is it too early to get a procedure done? Should I try meds for a while? I have attached some photos and I would appreciate some feedback. Thank You.

Certainly get more than one consultation, but you may want to consider having fewer grafts in case you experience significant hair loss and decide on no further surgery.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you are noticing less hair in hair line, you have to consult it as soon as with experienced surgeon. At initial stage it is is easy to cure problem and also requires less cost and less grafts. May be wait for year or month hair line problem gets wider and also cost you more than now.

If you come to the Avenues clinic, you can get the best Hair Transplant Cost In Ahmedabad. All the process of decided the cost of the treatment is very clear and transparent. The cost is decided after diagnosing the patients deeply. Once the cost is decided, there is no change in the plan. There are not any hidden charges. You have to pay what is pre-decided.

I don't think it's as black and white as Mp96 is making it out to be. There's no hard and fast rule when it comes to age and hair transplants, and a lot of different factors go into determining whether someone is a good candidate or not for a HT procedure. I had mine done at age 30, and some would say that's too young as well. But when I factored in genetics, family history, donor density, and the miniaturization levels/patterns of the rest of my hair, I felt like it was a good choice for me. Sure, I may need other procedures in the future, but that's to be said for anyone considering a hair transplant at any point in their life. And like Bill said, only you can make this decision for yourself. It's quite complicated, and to label any clinic who would perform a procedure on a 27 year old as "unethical" is extremely misguided. I'm more concerned with the fact that based on the photos, your hair seems to be in fine shape, and I don't see a lot of recession - but the photos are so closeup it's hard to really get a good idea of what your hair/hairline look like.

That said, I do think it's a good idea to give the medication a fair shot and see if that helps. Getting a hair transplant should be taken very seriously and carefully considered. Keep doing your research, get a few other opinions with trusted surgeons (preferably those referred and vetted by this site), and make the decision that is right for you.

Best of luck!

Pkipling,

Please excuse me, I know u are a consultant and all, but to call me "extremely misguided" is totally uncalled for. Especially u didn't even read my post properly and u still insulted. Just to clarify for u,, I wasn't generalizing in my post, I was giving me opinion on his situation in which he asked. Obviously, surgery will make sense for some 27 years olds.......

Laker,

U got some other opinions that agree with me on holding off surgery for now, so its up to u.

Good luck, at least u know its not the best decision having surgery at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I hope you must understand that the hairloss you are having is genetic hairloss known as Androgenetic Alopecia. It is progressive condition and you may lose hair in future as well. Now it is very difficult to predict how much hair your will lose in how much time. It can be very slow or it can be fast depending upon the other factors i.e diet, stress, smoking and most importantly the pattern of baldness running in your family. So it should be your decision after understanding the progressive nature of this condition that you may require another transplant in future to fill the gap which will be developed in transplanted area and receding hair line. So if you are clear on that you can go for transplant.

Regarding medicine, I would say that the area which is almost devoid of hair will not show any improvement but if there is thinning such part will show some improvement with regular use of medicine but again how much improvement you will get is difficult to predict and require personal consultation and trichoscopy examination.

So I hope I have made it clear to you and you should choose your option accordingly.

Online Representative and Patient Advisor for:

Dr. Kapil Dua, AKClinics - Hair Transplant in Delhi, Ludhiana and Bangalore, Chennai - India.

Dr. Kapil Dua, Board of Governor at ISHRS(USA), Board of Governor at AAHRS, President of AHRS India

is a recommended surgeon at Hair Transplant Network.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Too soon probably. I was 33, a hairline pt, and my hairline was a little worse than yours, but not a lot.

I probably should have waited, for me, just because now I'd be ok with a higher hairline. But that's easy to say because I've had a great hairline this whole time, and I could have spent the last five years staring at a mirror, hating my hair. So it's tough to call.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think if you are noticing less hair in hair line, you have to consult it as soon as with experienced surgeon. At initial stage it is is easy to cure problem and also requires less cost and less grafts. May be wait for year or month hair line problem gets wider and also cost you more than now.

If you come to the Avenues clinic, you can get the best Hair Transplant Cost In Ahmedabad. All the process of decided the cost of the treatment is very clear and transparent. The cost is decided after diagnosing the patients deeply. Once the cost is decided, there is no change in the plan. There are not any hidden charges. You have to pay what is pre-decided.

Man, a hint of blood in the water and the sharks come calling.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.