Some Opinions After my consultation

Hello. I am a 27 year old male and noticed I was receding since I was 20 or 21. I think it may be time to get a hair transplant to strengthen my hairline. I consulted with Dr. Parsa Mohebi and he came up with an estimate of 1000 grafts to fill in the corners of my hairline. Some opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have attached photos. Thanks.

20170224_161126.thumb.jpg.35106c9272ba95fe60e4e7e90dc94129.jpg

20170224_161124.thumb.jpg.daaf1f068b5853aa04a0f88f17f9f6ed.jpg

20170212_155143.thumb.jpg.0ef103568e55b3ca621cff6ebad2cca9.jpg

20170112_020001.thumb.jpg.7a88ed3745ef367cd1cbeb5b039861c6.jpg

Hello. I am a 27 year old male and noticed I was receding since I was 20 or 21. I think it may be time to get a hair transplant to strengthen my hairline. I consulted with Dr. Parsa Mohebi and he came up with an estimate of 1000 grafts to fill in the corners of my hairline. Some opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have attached photos. Thanks.

1000 grafts planted at what density cm2 ? 50? 55? Or something else?

You have a lot of native hairs up front. Be extremely careful if you proceed with hairline work now, its good to wait a couple more years until the finer native hairs fall. You do not want density issues or shockless that may or may not be permanent. Surgery should be the last resort. Take a look at results similar to your type of loss on the net. See if you can meet any patiens in person. Good luck.

1000 grafts planted at what density cm2 ? 50? 55? Or something else?

You have a lot of native hairs up front. Be extremely careful if you proceed with hairline work now, its good to wait a couple more years until the finer native hairs fall. You do not want density issues or shockless that may or may not be permanent. Surgery should be the last resort. Take a look at results similar to your type of loss on the net. See if you can meet any patiens in person. Good luck.

The doctor said he was comfortable in doing a procedure on me at this time because he was comfortable with the miniaturization exam he performed on me the day I went to his office to speak with him. But now that I read your comment I am more concerned.

What other questions should I ask Dr. Mohebi in your opinion? Should I mention that it may be too early to have a procedure? Thank you.

Edited by Lakershead22

No prob,

If this is a FUE procedure.

Tons of questions you can ask, but to start off:

-who will do the extractions?

-what punch size will you use?

-is this an ARTAS procedure?

-will you extract spread out in donor or extract in one confined pattern?

-at this stage, do you think my hairloss will progress or what stage norwood am i?

-have you had any failed results?

-if there is an issue with growth, how will you handle it? Perform surgery again? Refund? Etc? Do you give any type of "GROWTH" gaurantees that some other known surgeons do?

Seriously, this surgery overall needs to be done correctly the first time. You do not want to face any type of repairs. It is the most painful thing you can go through. Just giving you a heads up.

Oh and I do not work for any clinic by the way nor given any incentives (discount and etc) to cheerlead aka promote any clinic. Just someone who has been through a lot. So, my advice is to really think this through and wait. Waiting probably until your weaker native hairs shed at least. Tread carefully, see at least 10 folks that had FUE?

No prob,

If this is a FUE procedure.

Tons of questions you can ask, but to start off:

-who will do the extractions?

-what punch size will you use?

-is this an ARTAS procedure?

-will you extract spread out in donor or extract in one confined pattern?

-at this stage, do you think my hairloss will progress or what stage norwood am i?

-have you had any failed results?

-if there is an issue with growth, how will you handle it? Perform surgery again? Refund? Etc? Do you give any type of "GROWTH" gaurantees that some other known surgeons do?

Seriously, this surgery overall needs to be done correctly the first time. You do not want to face any type of repairs. It is the most painful thing you can go through. Just giving you a heads up.

Oh and I do not work for any clinic by the way nor given any incentives (discount and etc) to cheerlead aka promote any clinic. Just someone who has been through a lot. So, my advice is to really think this through and wait. Waiting probably until your weaker native hairs shed at least. Tread carefully, see at least 10 folks that had FUE?

It would FUE. I did ask the doctor about the progress of my hairloss. He performed a miniaturization exam on my scalp and hairline. He confirmed what you have been telling me about the fine hairs in my hairline eventually falling off. He seemed optimistic about the rest of my hair based on his miniaturization analysis.

I've actually seen one of his former patients in person and he seems to post here sometimes. His results looked great, granted his case was different than mine.

Thank you for the advice.

Yes. I think most guys, especially young guys, should be on fin before and after surgery.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I would definitely give both Finasteride and Minoxidil a go. You seem to be an ideal "type" of candidate in that typically the best responses I have seen from the combined use of the medications are from people with a significant amount of miniaturised hair.

There's no guarantee that you'll restore it and the application/progress will take some persistence on your part (we're talking 6-12mos to see real progress/evaluate efficacy) but you could very well avoid surgery altogether. Worst case scenario, you take solid steps towards "stabilising" your hair loss prior to further treatment.

I was lucky enough to get a decent response from them and it improved my situation quite a bit (link to my thread in profile, if curious) and I had more recession than you, i'd say. You seem to be ideally placed to start meds but that's strictly my opinion and you should only proceed if comfortable. Best of luck, whatever you decide!

Now I am seriously thinking of cancelling the 1000 grafts procedure I scheduled. But the only reason why I did it was because the doctor was optimistic about the rest of my hair based on the miniaturization exam he performed on me. I just dont know what to do.. I am thinking of trying the medication for a while now.

Definitely try the med route if you are planning to first. But dont think meds will have a big difference in 1-3 months. If you give meds a go, at least try for a year to see how things look. You may not need surgery for a while and meds may or may not recover some miniturized areas. You just have to see how your body will respond. Good luck.

Please give finasteride a try before seriously considering surgery.

No matter what, you need to stabilize your hair loss so that if you ever do have surgery you can have the maximum cosmetic impact from a transplant and perhaps avoid having to come back in the future because of additional hair loss.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016