Hair transplant failures??

Are hair transplant failures patient related, or clinic related??

I'm putting the question out there, do you guys think the fact that some transplants turn into failures because some guys just can't grow hair, or do you think its clinic related, whereas some clinics just forgot to put the right grafts in the holding solution???

Opinions????

Incompetent practice is possible, that's why you need to be very thorough in researching the track record of the physician you entrust to work on you.

It is a proven reality at this point in time, however, that FUE grafts have a greater chance of not succeeding than FUT ones, even in the hands of trustworthy professionals.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Incompetent practice is possible, that's why you need to be very thorough in researching the track record of the physician you entrust to work on you.

It is a proven reality at this point in time, however, that FUE grafts have a greater chance of not succeeding than FUT ones, even in the hands of trustworthy professionals.

Well if it is such a proven fact that FUE has a greater chance of failing can you explain for example Dr Erdogan

Or Dr Lorenzos success using the FUE method I myself had 4200 FUE grafts and I would say at least 95 per cent grew and still going strong over 2 years later.

Well if it is such a proven fact that FUE has a greater chance of failing can you explain for example Dr Erdogan

Or Dr Lorenzos success using the FUE method I myself had 4200 FUE grafts and I would say at least 95 per cent grew and still going strong over 2 years later

I'm happy for you Mick. You're a lucky dog

• Administrators

As long as the patient follows the post op instructions the failure should never fall on the patient period. Without getting in to an FUT vs FUE debate I think the results are in, you can clearly see that failures come from both sides. NO SURGERY is guaranteed doesn't matter if you get FUT or FUE we should make that very clear.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think we discussed a pretty thorough list last year which was fine-tuned in the thread itself.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185387-what-causes-failed-transplants.html

Patient side:

- physiology including health problems, scalp issues, being a poor/slow grower, scarring from previous surgery or past injury

- not following the key important postoperative instructions

- injury or damage to the grafts accidentally

- choosing the wrong surgeon without doing proper due diligence and research

Doctor

Poor technique

- transection of existing hair follicles

- placing an overly excessive graft count in the recipient area compromising blood supply

- removing the grafts for extended periods of time outside of the body

(most say 8 hours is the upper limit, but the longer left outside the body the lower survival rate)

- harvesting outside the safe zone

- poor FUE extraction technique damaging follicular structure

- poor incision method or graft placement technique

- placing the incisions too far spaced apart leaving gaps or holes in the density

- using the wrong hair direction and hair angle as it leaves the scalp

Administrative

- not hiring qualified techs to work at the clinic

- not having a clean and sanitized surgical area (leading to infection etc.)

- not using modern equipment or tools, or conversely over relying on robotic techniques

Technicians:

- mishandling the follicular structure after it is removed from the scalp

- using the wrong storage method/solution during graft storage phase

- tech graft placement error, such as choosing multiple hair units for the hairline and temple points [*edited this one based on feedback]

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I think patient psyiology is definitely something to consider, though I don't know how common it really is. I also imagine that psyiology would have issues like excess scar tissue in the recipient, or aggressive inflammation for an extended period of time.

From my experience, my hair transplant looked clean, I never bleed a single time at all post op and during my check up at 7 days was told that it looks good and to enjoy hair growth, yet it never really happened.

As long as the patient follows the post op instructions the failure should never fall on the patient period. Without getting in to an FUT vs FUE debate I think the results are in, you can clearly see that failures come from both sides. NO SURGERY is guaranteed doesn't matter if you get FUT or FUE we should make that very clear.

Quite true, no need to resurrect the whole FUE versus FUT debate, but as you say there are

failures coming from both sides ,difficult to give percentages because obviously Clinics only present their best cases ,I think the general line seems to be they claim a 95 percent success rate, how accurate that is I've really know idea.

I think we discussed a pretty thorough list last year which was fine-tuned in the thread itself.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185387-what-causes-failed-transplants.html

Patient side:

- physiology including health problems, scalp issues, being a poor/slow grower, scarring from previous surgery or past injury

Doctor

Poor technique

- placing an overly excessive graft count in the recipient area compromising blood supply

(most say 8 hours is the upper limit, but the longer left outside the body the lower survival rate)

- placing the incisions too far spaced apart leaving gaps or holes in the density

Administrative

- not using modern equipment or tools, or conversely over relying on robotic techniques

Technicians:

- tech graft placement error, such as choosing multiple hair units for the hairline and temple points [*edited this one based on feedback]

Extremely thorough list which pretty much covers everything. Ultimately, if a patient does his/her research and chooses a qualified surgeon with a proven track record of successful cases, the odds of a successful procedure are highly in their favor as long as they follow the post-op care instructions very carefully. Then it's just a matter of hoping that your body/scalp respond positively to the procedure - but that's going to be a concern with any surgery/medical procedure, no matter how skilled the surgeon/team are and no matter how disciplined the patient is.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I want to know how many failures are there that don't make it to the boards? The ones we see, have any of them truly had the reasons for their failure discovered after the doctor examines them? Like, seriously? How can a doctor look at a scalp a year later and decide that it was the patient's fault or there is some sort of bug that killed the grafts? If they can see what prevented the grafts from growing, why didn't they see this in the original exam and just not do the surgery at all? It doesn't make sense but it's what scares me about even having a procedure of any kind. If you ask me, the patient has less to do to take care of the result than the clinic has to do to make sure the procedure is successful so these failures are statistically going to fall on the clinic's shoulders.

I also want to know how many patients started complaining and then disappeared. Has anyone considered this?

I want to know how many failures are there that don't make it to the boards? The ones we see, have any of them truly had the reasons for their failure discovered after the doctor examines them? Like, seriously? How can a doctor look at a scalp a year later and decide that it was the patient's fault or there is some sort of bug that killed the grafts? If they can see what prevented the grafts from growing, why didn't they see this in the original exam and just not do the surgery at all? It doesn't make sense but it's what scares me about even having a procedure of any kind. If you ask me, the patient has less to do to take care of the result than the clinic has to do to make sure the procedure is successful so these failures are statistically going to fall on the clinic's shoulders.

I also want to know how many patients started complaining and then disappeared. Has anyone considered this?

I have the opposite opinion. Among the elite surgeons, i bet there are a TON of unreported successes relative to the number of failures. Who wants to invest their time with a raving review, pics, engaging us with feedback/correspondence, etc? The happy campers? Hardly. The pissed off HT clients? Of course. Just my opinion...

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

I have the opposite opinion. Among the elite surgeons, i bet there are a TON of unreported successes relative to the number of failures. Who wants to invest their time with a raving review, pics, engaging us with feedback/correspondence, etc? The happy campers? Hardly. The pissed off HT clients? Of course. Just my opinion...
True, not to mention if you have a good and undetectable result, most people want to keep that close to the vest, the transplant is usually a secret with most people.

There's a stigma that not wanting to be bald is sheer vanity.

I frankly love it when I get an occasional hair compliment, makes me feel that it was worth the time and money, and is a sharp contrast from the insecurity and embarrassment I felt in my early 20s.

I have no intention of giving my full identity to the public or strangers, I love that the restoration permits me to live as if cosmetically i never suffered from a Jude Law hair loss pattern.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Keep in mind there are also many homeruns that the clinic cannot show because the patient has not given authorization. This point gives me lots of hope when looking at clinics' results.

In my case, I had very good results. The doc sent me a letter to come in to examine the results, I couldn't come in. Enough time passed and they pretty much forgot about me.

Both,

Some people are just not suitable candidates for hair transplants even if the some doctors say they can have a ht.

If they go ahead with ht good luck to them but it may all look good at the start but later on they will find out and could be in a worse situation then they started.

This is why i have done alot of research before deciding if i could have a ht or not and why.

Just to add when my donor area was checked by DR. Bisanga (BHR Clinic) there was a high amount of hair miniaturization so what if i had gone ahead with the other doctors it would have been very risky.

Patient side:

Doctor

Poor technique

Administrative

Technicians:

Great list.