5518 FUE Front/Mid-Dr. Koray Erdogan-Istanbul August 15-16, 2016 - Norwood V American

Erdoganfue

Attached is my link to my journal and 6-month update. I had 5518 FUE grafts to the front/mid scalp section with Dr. Koray Erdogan in Istanbul, Turkey on August 15-16, 2016. I am a 37-year old Caucasian American, who was around a Norwood V I think. We decided to leave the crown for the second session.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=3340

I tried to be as comprehensive as I could in my journal/pics, but if you have any questions I will try to answer them.

So far, I am very happy with the results at 6 months, and am planning a second procedure this summer to address the crown area and touch up any other areas. At the time of the pre-op consult, I was estimated to have about 8,500 donor grafts by Dr. Erdogan prior to the procedure, and he estimated I would need about 9,000 for a "complete restoration". I had 5518 grafts used, leaving me with approximately 3,000 head grafts left to address the crown and touch ups. Am hoping this is enough, or that he may somehow be able to extract more that originally thought for a "complete restoration". If not, and I am still looking for more coverage a year after the second procedure, I may consider a small third procedure using body/beard hair.

Good luck to all in your journey! I decided to make this post to give back to a community that was vital in helping me take the plunge in both getting a transplant and selecting Dr. Erdogan.

congrats, you have a new hairline that frames your face well and it should continue to get better from here on in.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 3 weeks later...

ErdoganFUE,

I've read and reread your detailed post and seen your amazing transformation in last couple of days. I think I have a pretty close match in terms of age, hair loss pattern, its extent and what I intend to achieve. So congrats and I'm very happy for you. The looks and confidence gain is evident in the snaps.

By the way, I have my first upcoming surgery with Dr. Erdogan June 1st, and 2nd. If I may, I was wondering if you could help guide me on a couple of points.

1) Did you fly immediately the day after your surgery once you had your first wash?

2) Given that it is 14-15hr long flight back to the west coast, how was your flight in terms of pain/swelling etc? Did you care about people giving looks?

3) I see that you spent 2 weeks prior vacationing in Europe - would you suggest taking family along? In Turkey?

4) Last but not the least - after wiring the initial deposit; could I as well wire the remaining 11500 after consultation so that you don't have to travel with money?

Would they accept dollars instead of Euros?

5) Are you continuing Minoxidil/Propecia now?

Thanks a lot in advance. I hope to hear from you.

Good progress. May I ask, in the first set of pics (post-op) there seems to be no redness but in the next set, the bottom pic with you wearing a sports jersey, there appears to be redness. Is this the light? WHen did the redness go? Also, how long after did you start lifting again? Finally, I would say my donor area is much better than yours (my hair seems much thicker) and you've already had 5,500 and are going back for me. I have been told between 5,000-6,000 for me. Do you have any opinions about this?

I have added my 7-month pics and updated my progress. I wanted to take these pics right before shaving my head back down to a one-guard, to show the progress. I just think having it short as a one-guard makes the vertex less noticeable. The hairline is still great looking even at a one guard.

I'll post the pics with the head shaved as well, so you can compare. As I've said, I think it's a good look for me until I can get to Op #2, and will continue to do so. I am planning Op #2 with the clinic for either July or August.

As usual, I try to show all angles. The first set of pics is with the bathroom light on. Then I turn the light off. Obviously, having the light off makes it look way better.

Edited by Erdoganfue
Added last paragraph

ErdoganFUE,

I've read and reread your detailed post and seen your amazing transformation in last couple of days. I think I have a pretty close match in terms of age, hair loss pattern, its extent and what I intend to achieve. So congrats and I'm very happy for you. The looks and confidence gain is evident in the snaps.

Thanks!

By the way, I have my first upcoming surgery with Dr. Erdogan June 1st, and 2nd. If I may, I was wondering if you could help guide me on a couple of points.

1) Did you fly immediately the day after your surgery once you had your first wash?

Due to a travel problem with changing the return schedule (nothing to do with the clinic, just the travel agency I used), I ended up flying to Rome the day after the second day of the procedure (so, Wednesday afternoon after Mon/Tues procedure). I then had to stay at a Rome motel near the airport before flying home on Thursday to CA. I am not going to lie, I had major swelling and looked pretty freakish. I wore Ray Ban sunglasses all the time to cover my face and the swelling. I did not wear anything to cover my head. Not even the fisherman hat. I did not want to mess up the grafts. Plus, although your head was just operated on, it for some reason doesn't' look that bad, and I really didn't care what random travelers or the flight attendants thought of me. The worst parts is having to stand in long immigration lines, and take your sunglasses of each time you go through security/immigration officers, with your face looking nothing like your passport. However they take one look at you and you tell them it was an operation and they feel sorry for you should have no problems. Assuming you have swelling like me, which is prob likely if you do a two day massive procedure.

2) Given that it is 14-15hr long flight back to the west coast, how was your flight in terms of pain/swelling etc? Did you care about people giving looks?

See above. Get a window seat. Have the stewardess bring you ice if you can...they refused to refrigerate my ice pack from the clinic. They ended up giving me ice wrapped in plastic which started dripping and making a mess so after the second ice bag I gave up. Pain was manageable, I'd bring Aleve or whatever you can use. Also your neck will be in an air pillow from the clinic. Its not a fun trip but you just get through it, like everything else in life.

3) I see that you spent 2 weeks prior vacationing in Europe - would you suggest taking family along? In Turkey?

I vacationed with a girlfriend in Europe prior, but she left before I went to Turkey, solo. I kind of liked being by myself and just staying in and around the hotel, to be honest. Family would be kind of a distraction and you have no time to do anything after day 1 of the operation starts. You won't want to leave your hotel room, only when you have to. But if you want to feel safer in a group and are worried about it then I guess so.

4) Last but not the least - after wiring the initial deposit; could I as well wire the remaining 11500 after consultation so that you don't have to travel with money?

Travelling with the money was not fun and stressful. I would recommend a money belt. Also, Euros are fancy, not like dollars, and bleed when they get wet...thank goodness I kept mine dry. But it wasn't easy. You'd have to talk to the clinic about wiring more. I think they would let you wire some more, but I don't think the whole thing. Ask them.

Would they accept dollars instead of Euros?

I think they only take Euros. I even had to pay for the wire transfer and buy all the Euros in advance, so you take a hit on the conversion. Try to call around and get the best rate. I don't think they take dollars, they aren't really useful in Turkey

5) Are you continuing Minoxidil/Propecia now?

Been taking 1/4 proscar tablet every day since about one month prior to procedure with no sides.

Thanks a lot in advance. I hope to hear from you.

My pleasure.

Edited by Erdoganfue

Good progress. May I ask, in the first set of pics (post-op) there seems to be no redness but in the next set, the bottom pic with you wearing a sports jersey, there appears to be redness. Is this the light? WHen did the redness go? Also, how long after did you start lifting again? Finally, I would say my donor area is much better than yours (my hair seems much thicker) and you've already had 5,500 and are going back for me. I have been told between 5,000-6,000 for me. Do you have any opinions about this?

The redness was noticeable for whatever length appears in the pics....a couple months. Be ready to blame it on a sunburn for new people, and if same people keep asking keep saying sunburn or come up with something new. Or just shrug your shoulders. Who cares?

I started lifting again a few weeks after the procedure...they have instructions about how long (I think they say a month) but I don't think I waited quite that long. The patient advisers will tell you. In the long run it's worth some time off.

I was recently again estimated by Dr. Koray to have about 3,000 left for my donor. So 8,500 total which I am told is "good" but not "outstanding". He thinks I needed 9,000 for a "complete restoration" the first time around...we'll see if he can work his magic on operation number 2. If I'm still unhappy with the vertex area (which will prob be the area which needs more) I have no problem using some body/bear hair t "complete" the restoration. In fact, I heard that body/beard hair is better used for the vertex area anyway. But that will be over a year from now after Op #2, if needed. I don't have an opinion on your donor, because honestly I felt like mine was "great" but until they do a measurement with microscopes, in person, you really have no idea. If you don't live near Dr. Koray you could try getting a consult from a local doctor to measure/approximate your donor supply so you can plan long term.

No, he said he estimated I would need 9,000 for a "complete restoration", however during the consult he measured my donor at 8,500. We'll see what magic he can work in Op #2, and I always have the option of a small third procedure using beard/body hair with another doctor in the future if needed,

• 1 month later...

8 month update is here:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=11046&WebID=3340&ProcID=4860

You can also click the link in my signature. Operation number two to fill in crown and hopefully the visibly thin spots on each side in between donor and transplanted area is set for 3 months from now on July 14. I am estimated to have 3000 grafts left but donor looks good to me, hoping to squeeze some more. May need a third body/beard hair transplant in the future to finish the job, but we will see how Op #2 goes!

Very happy overall...such a difference from where I was! I get carded for buying lotto tickets now (you only have to be 18, haha!)

Also, someone asked if the clinic accepts the deposit transfer in US dollars, and the answer is YES. But you have to ask them for it, their default is Euros. I wish I had known that the first time and would have saved on the conversion, but oh well. I sent it in dollars this time.

Questions/comments welcome!

• 5 weeks later...

You're right on track and I have been closely watching your case with Dr. Koray. I am flying to IST May end for 5000 grafts. ..

What sort of questions did you've for him first time around pre-op consult; a day before your surgery? Is is just a formality, because one has already made up his mind before flying half way around the world to Asmed.

Did you speak to him before flying out from the US?

Do you mind sharing your progress again? Any pointers do you have for first timers going to Dr. Koray?

Please respond.

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2017 at 10:34 PM, ErdoganN5V said:

You're right on track and I have been closely watching your case with Dr. Koray. I am flying to IST May end for 5000 grafts. ..

What sort of questions did you've for him first time around pre-op consult; a day before your surgery? Is is just a formality, because one has already made up his mind before flying half way around the world to Asmed.

Did you speak to him before flying out from the US?

Do you mind sharing your progress again? Any pointers do you have for first timers going to Dr. Koray?

Please respond.

My apologies for the EXTENDED delay, but here is the final result after procedure Number 1 of 5518 grafts, after almost 12 months, at the clinic in mid-August 2017, just before I had my second procedure with Dr. Erdogan, with wet and dry hair. Dr. Erdogan estimated from my donor I would be able to have approximately 2,600 grafts implanted for procedure number 2 to fill in gaps and begin to fill in crown ( which had not yet been addressed) and increase overall density, bringing the total grafts to essentially 8,100 over two procedures. 

I welcome feedback on your opinion on the result of the first surgery, but based on where I started I was very happy and always knew at least one or two more procedures would be needed. Needless to say I was happy with the outcome, as you will see as I go to Procedure Number 2.

Link to result is here: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=11200&WebID=3340&ProcID=4860

Edited by Erdoganfue

I think you need attention to your lateral humps. I also am not crazy about your hair style. Yield looks successful and it doesnt look bad, it just doesnt look like an elegant design. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

I have a similar weakness in my lateral humps, except mine are around the crown area. A slicked back hairstyle helps conceal these areas almost fully, but I suspect that the problem areas are highlighted by the fact that your hair was wet and damp.

It’s pretty incredible considering you were completely bald. I hope this second procedure gives you an even density. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.