Hair is thinning more everyday.. desperate (PICTURES) Propecia Side Effects?

JustWantAnswers

What's up.. I've been taking proepcia since I was 17 years old along with Rogaine and Regenpure.. that's been my regimen. I'm 22 now..

I took this propecia pill for 5 years 1mg a day everyday.. since I was 17 with little to no side effects besides no morning erections and watery semen.. I turned 22 oct 2nd of 2016.. as the months went on I felt like my penis wasn't working like it should.. my erections seemed much weaker.. I stopped being hard during sex twice with my girlfriend.. stimulation couldn't even bring it back up.. it was a disaster.. there were just times I could feel literally during sex my penis getting less and less hard.. that scared me. in the back of my mind I was thinking about the time it happened before and I think it made it SfBGukghappen so that wasn't fun.. it crushed me.. I was convinced it was mental but obviously that plays into it to.. it's been so hard.. then I contributed it more to propecia and obviously after that I just had to quit.. I don't get why 5 years later it's becoming a issue?

I haven't taken propecia since January 9th.. my overall libido has improved but my hair doesn't seem to be.. there attached in my attachments..

being concerned like anybody else's would I decided to get blood work done.. those results are also in the attachments..

Basically propecia has kept my hair at a pause.. not to thin and not to thick forever now.. what concerns me is... having been off it for basically a month I can see my hairs starting to shrink and recede in the front and that's ruining my confidence.. I'm terrified to start propecia again and have libido issues.. and I'm even more terrified to let my hair go.. I don't know what to do.. are my levels normal? I don't know.. that's why I'm reaching out.. note this test was taken some time off of propecia recently..

I don't know what to do.. should I try Monday Wednesday Friday propecia? Can a once a week 5mg propecia solve my issues? Can once a week maybe twice keep my hair but my ED away? I don't get why this is happening to me now.. But what if that starts up my ED again.. what if that ruins the recovery I've been making off the pill.. I don't want permanent ED.. I'm only 22.. I don't want to lose my hair either.. is there anything I can do to keep my hair and not have ED? Why is this random ED happening now..?* I just want to live a normal life.. rogaine and regenepure and propecia is all I've been doing.. but recently it's been minus the propecia.. I don't want to lose my hair but I don't know what else to do.. I'm so lost.. is taking this pill anymore worth the risk? I don't want to watch 5 years of effort be wasted..

What should I do?

IMG_9574.thumb.JPG.ec5072ea38e9ea68e4128250e0f389a3.JPG

IMG_9575.thumb.JPG.96fa8362f51771cc57cfca08421ee694.JPG

IMG_9576.thumb.JPG.5e915f8a4dd4f92d3ffb5b2b35cffdf0.JPG

IMG_0466.thumb.jpg.b745969d505563658f06736b629cd25d.jpg

Wait a minute, aren't you the same user as NeedSomeHelpBro who already posted here??

(this time and subsequently I'm posting screenshots as to have no confusion)

Though I don't think you're out to cause disruption as some other member(s), but using two different aliases is against the HRN's TOS.

If you don't have any malice intended to the site in mind, really would be a good idea to consolidate your username into one.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185778-should-i-quit-finasteride-side-effects-4.html

Side by side comparison also attached:

NeedSomeHelpBro.jpg.a1950960eb323dedd0cbe5094c6ccddf.jpg

comparison_.thumb.jpg.2331c7bea7a0301cdc1af4768d188133.jpg

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• Administrators

I agree with hsrp, if you forgot your login you can reset your password, but you shouldn't be posting under different aliases. Additionally, I'm not sure how anyone can help you make the decision, I've shared with you my personal experience and situation and what I did, but the decision whether to stay on a drug that causes you side effects is entirely up to you. You've been given plenty of alternatives like reducing dosages, quitting altogether, trying alternative medicine like minoxidil etc. even non-surgical therapy like concealers and hair systems. You've basically said the exact same thing with the same pictures of your previous thread, no body here can decide what is better for you, hair or sexual health, that's something you have to decide, I'd suggest maybe talking to a doctor and counselor as well that may help guide you a bit better.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree with hsrp, if you forgot your login you can reset your password, but you shouldn't be posting under different aliases. Additionally, I'm not sure how anyone can help you make the decision, I've shared with you my personal experience and situation and what I did, but the decision whether to stay on a drug that causes you side effects is entirely up to you. You've been given plenty of alternatives like reducing dosages, quitting altogether, trying alternative medicine like minoxidil etc. even non-surgical therapy like concealers and hair systems. You've basically said the exact same thing with the same pictures of your previous thread, no body here can decide what is better for you, hair or sexual health, that's something you have to decide, I'd suggest maybe talking to a doctor and counselor as well that may help guide you a bit better.

I did forget my login info to that account, I also wanted to delete that thread and make a new one better explaining my situation and showing my pictures.. but there was no option to delete it last time I was logged in.. I would rather have this thread than the other one.. my information wasn't explained as well. It was a mess.. I would rather have one topic regardless I just don't know to get the other one removed.. the only thing I can really do right now is lower my propecia dose.. I haven't taken it since January 8th but my extreme concern is that my previous sides would return and be 30x worse if it came to that.. and that makes me wanna jump out my window. Like.. how much should I even try to take? Half a pill? Everyday? Once every few days? A 5mg pill once a week? I just don't wanna put a poison back into my body and risk even worse sides.. my overall libido and erections and semen quality have improved amazingly.. I wouldn't say I'm 100% better but I'm a good 65%.. and that's good but now my hair just keeps receding slowly in the front.. and the temples.. what should I do? :(

HTSoon is spot on with his advice to you. Unfortunately, this isn't a decision that anyone can make for you, and it's something best discussed with a general physician and/or counselor. You could also set up a consultation with a recommended HT surgeon here and get their input. It doesn't seem like the Finasteride is a viable option for you, so deciding whether or not to give it another go with a lower dosage is up to you. For some people, the answer would be yes. For some, the answer would be no. There's no right or wrong answer here and you have to do what you feel is best for you. Consider talking to a physician about this and simply saying, "I don't appear to be a good candidate for Finasteride and want to know what my options are moving forward to restore my hair while avoiding medication."

The bottom line is, all of us hair loss sufferers reach a point where we have to accept the reality of the situation we're in. Some guys have minimal hair loss and are good candidates for a straightforward hair transplant, and some guys have advanced hair loss with poor donor and have to have a different set of expectations when it comes to restoring their hair. Some guys respond really well to medication, some guys don't. At the end of the day though, we each have to look at our unique situations and make decisions based on the reality that is set before us. As much as I would love to tell you that you can have your libido and put a complete stop to your hair loss at the same time, that simply may not be a reality. The only thing I know for sure is that once you come to terms with what you're facing here, you'll be better equipped to make the decision that is best for you based on your specific circumstances.

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

HTSoon is spot on with his advice to you. Unfortunately, this isn't a decision that anyone can make for you, and it's something best discussed with a general physician and/or counselor. You could also set up a consultation with a recommended HT surgeon here and get their input. It doesn't seem like the Finasteride is a viable option for you, so deciding whether or not to give it another go with a lower dosage is up to you. For some people, the answer would be yes. For some, the answer would be no. There's no right or wrong answer here and you have to do what you feel is best for you. Consider talking to a physician about this and simply saying, "I don't appear to be a good candidate for Finasteride and want to know what my options are moving forward to restore my hair while avoiding medication."

The bottom line is, all of us hair loss sufferers reach a point where we have to accept the reality of the situation we're in. Some guys have minimal hair loss and are good candidates for a straightforward hair transplant, and some guys have advanced hair loss with poor donor and have to have a different set of expectations when it comes to restoring their hair. Some guys respond really well to medication, some guys don't. At the end of the day though, we each have to look at our unique situations and make decisions based on the reality that is set before us. As much as I would love to tell you that you can have your libido and put a complete stop to your hair loss at the same time, that simply may not be a reality. The only thing I now for sure is that once you come to terms with what you're facing here, you'll be better equipped to make the decision that is best for you based on your specific circumstances.

So if Finasteride is the best option for me.. how much do you honestly recommend in my situation that I take? I heard a study that taking finasteride even at lower doses still has the exact same affect on the body.. I actually read a article claiming that 0.5 mg of finasteride still has the same effect as a 1mg tablet and even at smaller doses to reduce DHT.. I pray and hope that isn't exactly true.. I can't imagine a hair loss clinic doctor would tell me not to continue propecia at 22.. if there were new and other options besides this pill I'm sure people wouldn't take it, it feels like a waste of time. I also find it extremely hard to believe people on this pill aren't suffering some effect of SOME KIND, even with a libido the lack of morning erections and watery semen has to be a guarantee.. I find it very hard to believe even people who have success aren't suffering at some level.. even before my sides I know I did. Is It common for random sides to develop out of nowhere? Because for 5 years ish it was nothing major now my libido issues come out nowhere.. I just don't get why :( like why did this happen to me? And my hair isn't thick I just have a lot of it and it's not like majorly receded it's just always been thin all over which I think is worse because if I do get a hair transplant someday I can't see my donor being strong.. you can see that in my pics.. honestly I don't know what I should do? Take this hormonal plunge all over again? Allow my hormones to go crazy with changes? Is that even good for you.. I can't imagine it would. I just don't want these sides to come back again and ruin my life.. than I'd be a bald loser with a broken dick.. imagine.. so scary. Should I take 1mg every other day? Monday Wednesday Friday? A 5mg once a week? What's the best option.. I honestly don't know. I know you probably don't either.. but are there any guys you've heard made this change and kept libido? I just don't want weak erecrions snd completely watery semen all over again.. this seems like I can't win.. what do you recommend I should do honestly? :(

So if Finasteride is the best option for me.. how much do you honestly recommend in my situation that I take? I heard a study that taking finasteride even at lower doses still has the exact same affect on the body.. I actually read a article claiming that 0.5 mg of finasteride still has the same effect as a 1mg tablet and even at smaller doses to reduce DHT.. I pray and hope that isn't exactly true.. I can't imagine a hair loss clinic doctor would tell me not to continue propecia at 22.. if there were new and other options besides this pill I'm sure people wouldn't take it, it feels like a waste of time. I also find it extremely hard to believe people on this pill aren't suffering some effect of SOME KIND, even with a libido the lack of morning erections and watery semen has to be a guarantee.. I find it very hard to believe even people who have success aren't suffering at some level.. even before my sides I know I did. Is It common for random sides to develop out of nowhere? Because for 5 years ish it was nothing major now my libido issues come out nowhere.. I just don't get why :( like why did this happen to me? And my hair isn't thick I just have a lot of it and it's not like majorly receded it's just always been thin all over which I think is worse because if I do get a hair transplant someday I can't see my donor being strong.. you can see that in my pics.. honestly I don't know what I should do? Take this hormonal plunge all over again? Allow my hormones to go crazy with changes? Is that even good for you.. I can't imagine it would. I just don't want these sides to come back again and ruin my life.. than I'd be a bald loser with a broken dick.. imagine.. so scary. Should I take 1mg every other day? Monday Wednesday Friday? A 5mg once a week? What's the best option.. I honestly don't know. I know you probably don't either.. but are there any guys you've heard made this change and kept libido? I just don't want weak erecrions snd completely watery semen all over again.. this seems like I can't win.. what do you recommend I should do honestly? :(

Hey man. I hear you and completely understand your frustration. You're right, I can't tell you what decision you should make, nor can anyone else here. I really think your best bet is to set up an appointment with a doctor and talk to them about this. You aren't doing yourself any favors by panicking about this and driving yourself crazy.

Since it does seem that you really want an answer, I will say that given the information I have here and reading your posts, if I were in your shoes with your mindset, I would not take Propecia again - even at a smaller dosage. The unfortunate reality is that with any medication comes a risk of side effects. You've already experienced side effects before, and there's no guarantee that even if you take a lower dosage of Propecia that you won't experience side effects again. It's very possible that you will, and it seems very clear to me that you're not okay with taking that risk. If that's the case, I think you already know the answer to your question...

Some people aren't good candidates for medication, just like some people aren't good candidates for hair transplants (or any other number of medical procedures/treatments). Plain and simple. As unfortunate as that is, it is a reality. So instead of beating yourself up and driving yourself crazy trying to change what is, you're much better off accepting the reality of the situation and figuring out what to do moving forward within the confines of this fact.

Talk to a doctor. Tell them that based on your experience with the drug, you're at high risk of side effects with Propecia and ask them what they recommend as backup options. Then go from there. You're still quite young and I know these things can seem overwhelming. Even in my 30s, I find myself struggling with the concept of "accepting reality", and it's probably something that we'll all always have to deal with on some level. But use this as an opportunity to lean into what you're feeling and experiencing regarding your hair loss, libido, and all the stressful feelings that arise when you confront these things. Accept reality and come up with an appropriate game plan. Talk to a doctor. Get a therapist. Confide in friends. Utilize this forum. Be open to learning and accepting new information and understand that whatever life throws your way, you'll figure out how to handle it.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Hey man. I hear you and completely understand your frustration. You're right, I can't tell you what decision you should make, nor can anyone else here. I really think your best bet is to set up an appointment with a doctor and talk to them about this. You aren't doing yourself any favors by panicking about this and driving yourself crazy.

Since it does seem that you really want an answer, I will say that given the information I have here and reading your posts, if I were in your shoes with your mindset, I would not take Propecia again - even at a smaller dosage. The unfortunate reality is that with any medication comes a risk of side effects. You've already experienced side effects before, and there's no guarantee that even if you take a lower dosage of Propecia that you won't experience side effects again. It's very possible that you will, and it seems very clear to me that you're not okay with taking that risk. If that's the case, I think you already know the answer to your question...

Some people aren't good candidates for medication, just like some people aren't good candidates for hair transplants (or any other number of medical procedures/treatments). Plain and simple. As unfortunate as that is, it is a reality. So instead of beating yourself up and driving yourself crazy trying to change what is, you're much better off accepting the reality of the situation and figuring out what to do moving forward within the confines of this fact.

Talk to a doctor. Tell them that based on your experience with the drug, you're at high risk of side effects with Propecia and ask them what they recommend as backup options. Then go from there. You're still quite young and I know these things can seem overwhelming. Even in my 30s, I find myself struggling with the concept of "accepting reality", and it's probably something that we'll all always have to deal with on some level. But use this as an opportunity to lean into what you're feeling and experiencing regarding your hair loss, libido, and all the stressful feelings that arise when you confront these things. Accept reality and come up with an appropriate game plan. Talk to a doctor. Get a therapist. Confide in friends. Utilize this forum. Be open to learning and accepting new information and understand that whatever life throws your way, you'll figure out how to handle it.

I thank you for being so understanding with me.. this has been so stressful to me for as long as I can remember.. I just don't want to be bald even since I was a teenager and I just don't want to give it all up now.. at 22 years old.. it's like.. there has to be SOMETHING I can do.. is lowering doses effective? How effective? Like.. maybe if I had some examples of it working out that it can help me make this decision.. are there people you've talked to on here or known who had effects lowered the doses and were ok? As bad as my effects were.. I feel like as scared as I am I don't want to be bald that bad.. haha.. its just girls have always liked my hair and like.. I don't think I'd look good bald at all.. nobody I've talked to can see it.. I just don't want to live in that world and for 5 years before these random sides.. the pill was the only relief I had.. now I just don't know what to do. I don't even have a primary doctor yet and telling them who has no hair experience they'll just tell me to go off it like it's nothing.. I just want a way around this. I know you don't know what you can tell me and I know everyone's different.. but I feel like I need some kind to guidance I'm praying someone who's been in a similar situation can give me. You know? I'm lost

DHT build up causes hair loss. You need to treat the entire scalp as DHT can travel around in the scalp. MMS has caused regrowth by detoxing the scalp of DHT, see jimhumble.is/ for more info. Repeat every 2 months: 100 drops of each 22.4% sodium chlorite and 4% HCL acid activator in glass cup, swirl 20 seconds to combine, add enough water to do 10 separate hourly applications with a spray bottle. A 70+ trace minerals supplement with some cod liver oil, horsetail herb are known to feed the hair follicle. B6, B9, biotin, magnesium are known to block DHT build up. 1 tablespoon to 1/2 cup brewers yeast, 1 tablespoon of granular lecithin, 1/2 teaspoon of magnesium oxide will get the job done. Avoid pasteurized milk as it causes hardened mucus linings in the intestines, homemade oat milk, any fruit to sweeten wait 6 hours to consume if using a blender to allow air bubbles to escape avoiding intestinal gas.

Edited by packman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Justwantanswers,

I'm considering propecia but also am very cautious about side effects. I reacted very badly to minoxidil. The difference is I've already had a transplant to my temples. Looking back on it, I wished I had waited. The problem I now have is as I recede it's exposing the transplant. So I too am worried about what I should too - and whether I should take propecia. It would be better if I didn't have the transplant being exposed to worry about. I can give you one piece of advice - and it's similar to what pkipling has already said - try to find some way to calm yourself. Anxiety and stress take a terrible toll on the body, including the scalp.

Ask yourself some deep questions about yourself, you're afraid. Why? Why does hair loss scare you? When you have the answer to that - ask yourself why you have that answer? Keep going until you boil it down to the basic reason, identify that reason then work on ways to expel the fear. Fear doesn't do anyone any good. I suffer from anxiety, so the hair thing has been driving me nuts, however I managed to calm myself down about it - and you know what? I think it even slowed my hair loss - as stress are known to be factors in hair loss. Once you are calm, and have accepted reality you will be able to make a quality, sensible and realistic decision and you will feel SSSOOOO much better about yourself and life.

I suggest taking some time out - see a doctor and get your options sorted. You might consider a lower dose, you might consider a transplant (although at a young age be careful), you might consider both, there are other treatments available - next year there will be stem cell technologies coming on the market, there is PRP - so don't panic.

Things to be thankful for:

1) You still have a good amount of hair

2) You have identified a problem and are tackling it

3) You are reaching out here to others who have had the experience, who have great advice

4) There are treatments, so there are options

5) Because you are identifying the problem, you are not just diving straight into getting a transplant, which you may regret down the line

So relax, you would be surprised about how little impact your hair loss has or is considered by those around you. Things always seem worse when we view them from a subjective viewpoint.

I ordered 500gms of Keemun Chinese black tea and it arrived this morning - reports are it lowers DHT by 72%, so I am going to try that first, it might not work, but it also may work. You see there are always options. So please, don't beat yourself up, treat yourself well, don't stress. With no stress you'll make a quality decision, and once you've made that decision you'll feel better. In years to come you will look back on this period of your life and laugh.

Hi Justwantanswers,

I'm considering propecia but also am very cautious about side effects. I reacted very badly to minoxidil. The difference is I've already had a transplant to my temples. Looking back on it, I wished I had waited. The problem I now have is as I recede it's exposing the transplant. So I too am worried about what I should too - and whether I should take propecia. It would be better if I didn't have the transplant being exposed to worry about. I can give you one piece of advice - and it's similar to what pkipling has already said - try to find some way to calm yourself. Anxiety and stress take a terrible toll on the body, including the scalp.

Ask yourself some deep questions about yourself, you're afraid. Why? Why does hair loss scare you? When you have the answer to that - ask yourself why you have that answer? Keep going until you boil it down to the basic reason, identify that reason then work on ways to expel the fear. Fear doesn't do anyone any good. I suffer from anxiety, so the hair thing has been driving me nuts, however I managed to calm myself down about it - and you know what? I think it even slowed my hair loss - as stress are known to be factors in hair loss. Once you are calm, and have accepted reality you will be able to make a quality, sensible and realistic decision and you will feel SSSOOOO much better about yourself and life.

I suggest taking some time out - see a doctor and get your options sorted. You might consider a lower dose, you might consider a transplant (although at a young age be careful), you might consider both, there are other treatments available - next year there will be stem cell technologies coming on the market, there is PRP - so don't panic.

Things to be thankful for:

1) You still have a good amount of hair

2) You have identified a problem and are tackling it

3) You are reaching out here to others who have had the experience, who have great advice

4) There are treatments, so there are options

5) Because you are identifying the problem, you are not just diving straight into getting a transplant, which you may regret down the line

So relax, you would be surprised about how little impact your hair loss has or is considered by those around you. Things always seem worse when we view them from a subjective viewpoint.

I ordered 500gms of Keemun Chinese black tea and it arrived this morning - reports are it lowers DHT by 72%, so I am going to try that first, it might not work, but it also may work. You see there are always options. So please, don't beat yourself up, treat yourself well, don't stress. With no stress you'll make a quality decision, and once you've made that decision you'll feel better. In years to come you will look back on this period of your life and laugh.

I've been so not relaxed, I work full time and when I have time off all I think of is this issue.. the reason I am scared of hair loss is because girls like guys with hair.. nobody wants a bald loser :( I'm 22 years old, this is supposed to be the prime of my life but instead of pouring pounds of minoxidil in my hair and shoving pills down mr throat that may or may not break my dick like I just don't get it why this had to happen to me.. how old are u when u got ur transplant? Next year? Without me taking propecia I don't even see my hair lasting that long.. but the sides are what are holding me back.. I just barely have time to see a doctor.. like a real one? Or a hair doctor? If it's a hair one.. like do I just show up to any random one? What can they honestly tell me.. I just don't see what they can do.. what is PRP? Will this solve baldness? I feel like my hair is just thinning more and more every single day but I can't allow myself to take a pill that might fuck me.. can 1 my every other day fix sides? A 5mg once a week? There has to be SOMETHING I can do.. I refuse to believe even the guys with no sides don't have the lack of erection strength and the watery semen and the zero morning erections.. it just doesn't add up to me. These numbers make no sense.. why would I get ED sides 5 years in randomly? What can I honestly do.. I'm getting desperate

you can get argan oil shampoo that has around 15 natural dht blockers in the shampoo, have been using it for a week here and it seems to strengthen the hair too

might be worth a try?

there are also shampoos with vitamins, which avoid any gut issues obviously

i hate to say it but i read somewhere that if you panic about sexual performance it can make something that might have been a one-off situation into something you panic and worry about which then makes the original physical problem worse as you're putting pressure on yourself. i wonder if you can talk to your girlfriend about your anxiety around it, and the medication, and take the pressure off

• 2 months later...

It is a good idea to detox the liver on an annual basis if you are doing any type of drug prescription. Pharmaceutical drugs are known to be toxic to the liver. Milk thistle extract up to 3 months a year is known to detox the liver.