23 year old seeking advice on hairline issues

Hi there!

I'm a 23 year old male from singapore who's been troubled with my appearances as of late, most notably my hairstyle.

I've always had a weird hairstyle since young but i've never really paid attention to it until now where it's the age where you're in university and you suddenly realise all your peers are starting to style their hair and stuff like that.

Suffice to say i'm pretty self conscious about my hair style, and have started to research baldness and hair restoration...

I'm pretty sure i have horrible hair genetics as my younger pictures all had the same ugly hairstyle which was indicative of a naturally horrible hairline, but i'll put up pictures for you all to see.

Please give me your advice on what i should do!

(The odd one out picture is the picture back when i was young)

IMG_6990.thumb.jpg.3d66ed5b2eed32ccc0e8b5cbb00370d7.jpg

IMG_6991.thumb.jpg.69ed67dc674ca0bd7c503cb6ba8611c7.jpg

IMG_6998.thumb.jpg.428f2ae9411f36ae15130b48dcc672a9.jpg

IMG_7140.JPG.d45f6aec5cfd7381b760874c9aa43ac7.JPG

Have you tried finasteride? It can help stabilize your hair loss and keep it from progressing. Unfortunately you're too young to consider a hair transplant just yet, I'd advise getting on finasteride, and then around 25 or 26 if you're still uncomfortable with your hair you can explore a hair restoration procedure once you have a better idea about the extent of your hair loss pattern and whether or not finasteride is working to halt your hair loss progression.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• Administrators

I wouldn't do anything, surgery is never better than nature, I'm assuming you believe you don't suffer from hair loss but rather you have been born with a high hair line, that could be true, but it's more likely you are suffering from MPB and as such you should be very careful. At your level of hair loss and age your best bet is to try and maintain. Take pictures and compare them each year, if by age 27 you haven't changed then it may be time to revisit surgery. In south east Asia there is Dr. Path in Thailand who is a recommended physician.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hello!

Thank you both for your replies!

I haven't tried finasteride, though like what HTsoon said in his reply i believe that my hairline is just naturally born that way... i'm also a bit uncertain as to whether i should be taking it as it seems that it is a high dependency drug?

Also waiting till 25/26/27 is quite a bummer because i find it hard to wait long periods haha, especially when i haven't had the chance at youth looking stupid all the time thanks to my hair (of course this is subjective but i do feel that my hair issues have a significant impact on my social life), but nonetheless i know both of you mean well in giving that advice. That being said are there any temporary solutions in the meantime such as wearing wigs etc.? I'm just considering all the options here.

Thanks!

Finasteride tends to protect the crown and the mid scalp, if you have MPB you likely will still thin and recede in the front, in two years time you'll definitely know if you don't take finasteride...but hopefully not at the expense of a bald spot on your scalp.

I recommend consulting with a dermatologist or a hair restoration physician in person to determine if your hair is miniaturizing and to look at your scalp.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• Administrators
Hello!

Thank you both for your replies!

I haven't tried finasteride, though like what HTsoon said in his reply i believe that my hairline is just naturally born that way... i'm also a bit uncertain as to whether i should be taking it as it seems that it is a high dependency drug?

Also waiting till 25/26/27 is quite a bummer because i find it hard to wait long periods haha, especially when i haven't had the chance at youth looking stupid all the time thanks to my hair (of course this is subjective but i do feel that my hair issues have a significant impact on my social life), but nonetheless i know both of you mean well in giving that advice. That being said are there any temporary solutions in the meantime such as wearing wigs etc.? I'm just considering all the options here.

Thanks!

Yes wearing a hair system is probably the best short term solution, I know it has a bad stigma but honestly I've seen some amazing hair systems,I don't think a hair transplant is the way to go, remember you'd still have to wait a year to see the full results, a hair system is instant improvement, visit north west lace forum to gather more information on hair systems.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You don't seem to have hair loss from the pics you post. You may have a higher forehead/hairline genetically but there isn't much you can do about that short of having a HT to lower the hairline. Use some longer hairstyles in the front to combat that....I wouldn't be stressed about it. A high hairline due to MPB and a high hairline genetically are two different things.

I definitely would not be even thinking about wigs for something like this....it will do way more harm than good.

Hi there!

I'm a 23 year old male from singapore who's been troubled with my appearances as of late, most notably my hairstyle.

I've always had a weird hairstyle since young but i've never really paid attention to it until now where it's the age where you're in university and you suddenly realise all your peers are starting to style their hair and stuff like that.

Suffice to say i'm pretty self conscious about my hair style, and have started to research baldness and hair restoration...

I'm pretty sure i have horrible hair genetics as my younger pictures all had the same ugly hairstyle which was indicative of a naturally horrible hairline, but i'll put up pictures for you all to see.

Please give me your advice on what i should do!

(The odd one out picture is the picture back when i was young)

With genetic hair loss in the frontal scalp, try to start with vitamins (biotin) and platelet-rich plasma treatments. Improving the volume of your hair and extending the anagen phase (active hair growth phase) is important for the future.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi all,

Thanks once again for the replies.

Speegs:

thanks for the advice! i've booked an appointment with a hair restoration company in singapore and am waiting for a check up to be set up.

HTsoon:

thanks for the advice too! i've checked out their forums and read up a bit on hair systems... it's a good (only, perhaps) instant solution, but i'm worried about the maintenance costs and have also read on some complaints about how the hair doesn't flow with the natural hair and what not... nonetheless i'll continue my research on them.

matt:

yes i believe so too! however, my hair looks really horrible on its own - it is very, very obvious with short hair that i have very little hair (it looks that way in pictures, with regards to the proportion of my face area in relation to the amount of hair i have, which makes me look super goofy). i've been told i look better with long hair that i grow past my eyebrows such that it creates the illusion of a 'falling off' of fringe off a non-balding scalp. additionally i push my long hair on the sides towards the middle to cover up the balding temples. however even with long hair, it still looks off as my top is extremely flat and you can see it hugging my forehead which makes for a weird look viewed from the side. also near the temples there is an obvious dip which looks weird from a 45 degree angle - basically it doesn't have that full, round congruent shape from all angles. also, not to mention that with long hair (and my super straight hair) the hairstyle gets destroyed in less than a second in strong winds (which is a fairly common occurrence over here). :o

MrGio:

thanks for the recommendation! to be honest i'm not very keen on taking supplements due to cost as well as perceived ineffectiveness in terms of what i'm looking for (i'm saying this because i'm new to all this and like i have said i am bad at dealing with long waiting time solutions such as supplements that use imperceptible mechanisms to solve the problem), but i'll definitely look into them.

Hi milo12,

I've been in contact with a hair restoration doctor in singapore and have sent her my pictures, awaiting her reply right now

Hello missi0n,

Sounds good. Keep me posted on your progress. And good luck!