Washing hair with warm water??

Hey fellas someone told me a while ago that if you are thinning, it is important to always wash it in cold water to keep your hair thick. Is this true? Been washing it in cold water for the longest but I was never sure if this is the right thing to do.

Very doubtful that there is any truth to this...:confused:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Agreed with Gillenator, sounds like fishy info to me.

If you have certain scalp conditions such as SD you should avoid very hot water, and I've heard of some people recommending ending your shower with cold water to close the pores but it's not going to help save your hair if you have MPB or diffuse thinning.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Hey fellas someone told me a while ago that if you are thinning, it is important to always wash it in cold water to keep your hair thick. Is this true? Been washing it in cold water for the longest but I was never sure if this is the right thing to do.

Hi primomusic,

I too have read this. But the cold water is more for maintaining scalp from what I read. I do not know if this is a proven fact or not. Years ago I read about some study about this. Do not ask me for a link because I do not remember and this was years ago. Try googling it and see what comes up. Good luck

I actually just started doing cold/lukewarm rinsing the last few weeks. Using really hot water can dry your skin, scalp, and hair out. Using cold or lukewarm water keeps those essential oils on your scalp.

Will it cause you to grow more hair? No.

Is it better for maintenance? I would say yes....especially if you are prone to dry skin/scalp issues.

Same goes for shampooing.....you really should only shampoo once or twice per week, if that. Otherwise, you are stripping those essential oils and drying out your hair and scalp. Again, will it make hair fall out? No.....but does hydrated hair look and feel thicker than dried out hair? Absolutely no doubt.

Echoing what others have said here. While there is truth that cold water may have its benefits when it comes to your scalp (keeping it from drying out, closing the pores, etc.) and is probably easier on your hair than really hot water, it's not something that is going to impact your hair loss in terms of MPB.

I have dry scalp issues, and I know that for me personally, when I wash my hair with really hot water, the scalp gets dried out and itchy, and I tend to have more hair fall than normal. But this is in relation to the hot water affecting the scalp and its ability to support my hair, and not a matter of MPB.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Echoing what others have said here. While there is truth that cold water may have its benefits when it comes to your scalp (keeping it from drying out, closing the pores, etc.) and is probably easier on your hair than really hot water, it's not something that is going to impact your hair loss in terms of MPB.

I have dry scalp issues, and I know that for me personally, when I wash my hair with really hot water, the scalp gets dried out and itchy, and I tend to have more hair fall than normal. But this is in relation to the hot water affecting the scalp and its ability to support my hair, and not a matter of MPB.

Hi pkipling,

I am in the same boat. Hot water dries my scalp also. It is definitely from the temperature. Same thing happens in summer. But in winter I need to wash in hottish water since it is winter. It is a rock and a hard place scenario.

Agree with Matt...I only wash my hair with shampoo twice per week unless I am working in the yard or some activity that gets my hair dirty.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY