FUT possible after FUE?

I had a FUE procedure with 2500 grafts done about a year ago. I wasn't satisfied with the final outcome because of insufficient density, esp. in the front hairline. I went in for a consult for a second transplant with a different doctor and he recommended that I do a FUT this time (2000 grafts) to increase density and improve the front hairline. Is this possible? I thought that you generally can't have FUT done after a FUE (due to scar tissue, lack of viable grafts, etc.)

FUT gets progressively harder the more FUE you have, not least because of the thinning effect on the donor.

2500 is not too much out of your donor (if it was done well and spread out evenly), in which case an FUT is still viable.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

FUT gets progressively harder the more FUE you have, not least because of the thinning effect on the donor.

Hello 1978matt,

Just to make sure, are you saying that getting a FUT on top of a FUE to add density will not yield a good result?

It depends on the thickness of your donor hair. If you are already depleted, do fut, and end up with donor shockloss, then the scar may show more or you may have halos in the back of your head. If your extractions were spread out completely, it may be ok but if your extractions were compressed, it may be inefficient. Definitely get an in person consult with a doctor that has a solid surgical protocol for fue. Good luck.

It depends on the thickness of your donor hair. If you are already depleted, do fut, and end up with donor shockloss, then the scar may show more or you may have halos in the back of your head.

Hi Sean,

I never heard of donor shock loss. Never thought the donor area could get shocked out of existence. So you are saying that if your donor area is depleted from many good follicles due to a previous transplant, doing a follow-up FUT may ensue donor shock loss? And this type of shock loss occurs when the first transplant depletes the donor area of much of its follicles?

Collateral damage in the donor area from FUE can vary quite a bit depending on the extraction skills of the surgeon. In addition, if considerable FUE extractions were made in the donor zone, it may not be a viable option to have a traditional FUHT procedure. Each case is going to vary between individuals and obviously the competence of the doctor who performed the FUE procedures is going to be a major factor in the equation.

Shock loss, whether occurring in the recipient or donor zones is primarily a result of how an individual responds to the level of trauma related to the surgical procedure itself. However when it occurs in the donor zone, the chances of it growing back are very good and unlike the recipient zone where there tends to be considerable diffusion taking place, and where the native hair is much weaker and on its way out.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

However when it occurs in the donor zone, the chances of it growing back are very good and unlike the recipient zone where there tends to be considerable diffusion taking place, and where the native hair is much weaker and on its way out.

Hello gillenator,

Can shock loss be permanent in the donor area after one session?

Yes especially if you attack, insult and aggravate most of the active forum members on this site for no reason as you've continued to do.

See, instead of concentrating on helping people who need help as we've always done in the past, we have to spend our time to deal with our Milo12/Taurusrisen problem.

You will surely lose all of your hair permanently from the bad karma you created alone from that.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186114-did-your-fue-transplant-accelerate-your-hair-loss-other-regions-2.html

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Hello gillenator,

Can shock loss be permanent in the donor area after one session?

From my observations over the years, permanent shock loss in the donor zone is extremely rare.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY