Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration Patient RSI is a Norwood Class 4A before his hair restoration. He has wavy, medium-fine, brown hair and a high donor density. The follicular unit yield was 212 1-hair FUs, 546 2-hair FUs, 799 3-hair FUs, and 373 4-hair FUs totaling 1,930 grafts with an average of 2.7 hairs/graft. Results shown are one year after one hair transplant session.

Before/After:

0a_before_rsi.jpg

Before Hair Transplant

0b_after_rsi.jpg

After Hair Transplant

1b_planned-hairline_rsi.jpg

Position of Hairline

1c_hair-clipped_rsi.jpg

Hair Clipped

1d_1930-grafts-placed_rsi.jpg

Placement of Grafts

1e_11-days-post-op_rsi.jpg

11 Days Post-op

1f_1-year-after-hair-transplant_rsi.jpg

1 Year Post-op

See patients with similar characteristics in the Bernstein Medical photo galleries:

Additional Resources:

Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

Schedule a consultation HERE to request a graft estimate and quote.

Follow us on InstagramFacebookTwitter, and YouTube

The health and safety of our patients and staff is our top priority. For a more detailed look at our safety measures, click here. 

Got questions? Call us at 212-826-2400 

Dr. Bernstein is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great comments!

The health and safety of our patients and staff is our top priority. For a more detailed look at our safety measures, click here. 

Dr. Bernstein is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr.Bernstein,

Why do most of your patients have a consistent comb over? Are you trying to preserve donor for later ?

Do you only do this for patients who have a history of high norwood males in their family?

What are your thoughts on some clinics that go to the extreme of dense packing 3000+ grafts into the frontal third?

Excellent questions. Patients with significant hair loss will get a fuller look by combing their hair to the side or diagonally back. This is different than a comb-over, where the person drops their part to an unnaturally low position to use non-transplanted hair from the side to cover the top. But grooming post-transplant is a patient preference. When planning a transplant I am always aware of future hair loss and the importance of keeping some reserves to address it. I don't believe in extreme dense packing since it risks poor growth due to vascular compromise. It also risks a widened donor scar in FUT and harvesting outside the permanent zone in FUE. I prefer applying appropriate coverage to the entire area one needs to transplant in the first session, achieve optimum growth, and then add additional hair to the same area to increase density at a future date. This will ensure that the first procedure will have a natural distribution and have the best chance for maximum growth. I am against using very high numbers of grafts just for the sake of it. In performing a hair transplant, I like to keep in mind the saying of the architect Mies Van der Rohe “Less is More.”

Edited by Robert M. Bernstein, M.D.

• 2 months later...

Update:

Here are some additional photos and information about the patient's donor area:

The first image shows a diagonal scar in the donor area from an accident that the patient had as a child. The ARTAS robot was programmed to avoid this scar when harvesting. Grafts were subsequently placed into the scar (see second photo). The third photo shows the donor area 11 days post-op just before he went to the barber to have his hair trimmed.

2a_donor-area-with-scar_rsi.jpg

Donor Area Showing Childhood Scar

2b_harvest-avoiding-scar_rsi.jpg

After Harvesting and Placement of Grafts Into Scar

2c_11-days-post-op_rsi.jpg

11 Days Post-op

That is not a comb over. That patient could very well wear his hair back from his forehead if he wished. I wear mine both ways these days myself.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.