Clinic claiming weird stuff! Must read!

Hello everyone,

I talked to a clinic about transplants. The spokesperson said it provides 70 - 90 grafts/cm2 (sounds high). But he said hollywood celebrity patients get 100 - 120 grafts/cm2. I then asked if it is possible for a non-celebrity like myself to get 100 - 120 grafts/cm2. He said that graft count is reserved for celebrities who need to look good in movies without looking like their hair is "see-through". I was concerned about his reply because thinning hair is thinning hair no matter who you are, celebrity or not.

But he also said the clinic transplants 70 - 90 grafts/cm2 in one session. I like the clinic but I do not want to get stuck with a transplant that may turn out bad. Since they do celebrities they should have a good reputation - though they will not divulge which stars got work.

What do you gentlemen say about the high number of grafts? The high amount of grafts does sound very tempting. Should I go for it given they are a reputable clinic that also serves hollywood?

Edited by milo12

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What they're galling grafts is probably actually just hairs per cm2.

In other words, they're dishonest, don't go to them.

Also what is a 'celebrity'. Just because they claim to be a big Hollywood clinic doesn't mean they secretly fixed Ariana Grande's bald spot.

• Moderators

Anyone can make any kinds of claims. Unless they are showing you pictures of these celebrities that they have done then why would you believe them.

Besides that, lets assume they really are capable of performing great hair transplants. I would be insulted and no way would want them to perform a hair transplant on me if they told me I don't deserve to have a transplant as good as a celebrity because I'm not important enough. That alone would make me turn them down. If they are telling you right at the beginning that you aren't worth getting a great transplant because you are a lesser person, how can you trust them to care about you during and after the operation if they are telling you up front that they don't care enough about you?

I would move on if I were you.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Also what is a 'celebrity'. Just because they claim to be a big Hollywood clinic doesn't mean they secretly fixed Ariana Grande's bald spot.

Hello Transhair,

Thank you for the response. Just to let you know, the clinic is Alvi Armani in Beverly hills run by Dr. Baubac. Two people on the forum confirm that Dr. Baubac is legit. His reputation seems solid by industry awards he has won. Just want to gather more info from others to confirm this to make extra sure before making my decision.

P.S.... I think it was you who was discriminated by a clinic due to your health status. I hope your issue got resolved and the clinic learned not to discriminate anyone based on sex orientation or race. Hope you found a good clinic that finally has helped you. Good luck!

Anyone can make any kinds of claims. Unless they are showing you pictures of these celebrities that they have done then why would you believe them.

Besides that, lets assume they really are capable of performing great hair transplants. I would be insulted and no way would want them to perform a hair transplant on me if they told me I don't deserve to have a transplant as good as a celebrity because I'm not important enough. That alone would make me turn them down. If they are telling you right at the beginning that you aren't worth getting a great transplant because you are a lesser person, how can you trust them to care about you during and after the operation if they are telling you up front that they don't care enough about you?

Hello BeHappy,

Thank you for the response. Just to play devil's advocate, the doctor at the clinic is Dr. Baubac and a few people here said he was legit. But what you said does make sense also. As you can see now I am confused as to what to do. Strange predicament I find myself.

Let me first say that 100 - 120 FU cm2 is really is not necessary for just about anybody to attain a nice visual result. And I truly believe that the majority of honest ethical doctors would state the same.

And virgin density levels are going to vary between individuals. Each case has its own attributes and merits. Every patient has his or her own unique goals. Every person has a varying range of donor availability.

So for any salesperson to imply that 100 - 120 FU cm2 is some kind of echelon is absurd to say the least...:confused:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Let me first say that 100 - 120 FU cm2 is really is not necessary for just about anybody to attain a nice visual result. And I truly believe that the majority of honest ethical doctors would state the same.

So for any salesperson to imply that 100 - 120 FU cm2 is some kind of echelon is absurd to say the least...:confused:

Hello gillenator,

The clinic said thats the amount of grafts they transplant for celebrities. But just to let you know, they said they usually plug 70 - 90 grafts/cm2 on average.

D.r Baubac did say on a video that 55 grafts/cm2 would create a see through look. To be very honest I am interested but concerned.

Is it fair to say that you regard this clinic as dishonest? Would you dissuade me from going there?

So Dr Baubac seems pretty ok and 'legit', but why go to a surgeon who recommends kind of unorthodox methods? Going to a better quality non Hollywood surgeon is likely cheaper as well.

The entire reason my first hair transplant was a bust was probably because the surgeon decided it was reasonable to transplant 72FU/cm on me, so as someone who was screwed over by a dense pack, I'd say don't do it, go to a more reasonable surgeon instead and just get a small second surgery to bump the density up if you're unhappy with it. Recovery is only like 10 days for FUE anyways.

Also adding that despite all my suspicions about the quality of my second surgery, LGBT discrimination isn't one of them. I'll probably fully explain all of my doubts at the 'final result'.

Hello everyone,

I talked to a clinic about transplants. The spokesperson said it provides 70 - 90 grafts/cm2 (sounds high). But he said hollywood celebrity patients get 100 - 120 grafts/cm2. I then asked if it is possible for a non-celebrity like myself to get 100 - 120 grafts/cm2. He said that graft count is reserved for celebrities who need to look good in movies without looking like their hair is "see-through". I was concerned about his reply because thinning hair is thinning hair no matter who you are, celebrity or not.

But he also said the clinic transplants 70 - 90 grafts/cm2 in one session. I like the clinic but I do not want to get stuck with a transplant that may turn out bad. Since they do celebrities they should have a good reputation - though they will not divulge which stars got work.

What do you gentlemen say about the high number of grafts? The high amount of grafts does sound very tempting. Should I go for it given they are a reputable clinic that also serves hollywood?

The language referring to the outcome and expectations is more important than their opinion. The results you desire can still be accomplished in more than one session. Consider having a second opinion.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hello gillenator,

The clinic said thats the amount of grafts they transplant for celebrities. But just to let you know, they said they usually plug 70 - 90 grafts/cm2 on average.

D.r Baubac did say on a video that 55 grafts/cm2 would create a see through look. To be very honest I am interested but concerned.

Is it fair to say that you regard this clinic as dishonest? Would you dissuade me from going there?

How about you share some pics with us and then we can help you decide how much density is enough. I think seeing that you found a clinic that is willing to do 70 - 90 grafts/cm2 into your existing hair, it looks like a match made in heaven, I know how much you love high density, so I say Armani is your man. Pull the trigger and go for it. Doesn't look like you will find another clinic that can go so high. Maybe if you throw in some extra cash on the day, they will treat you like a celebrity and go in excess of 100 grafts /cm2.

Looking forward to your pics Milo!

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Stig I do not know why you hate people so much. But whatever. It does not bother me at all. It makes me happy knowing a stranger is obsessed with me. Thank you for making me the center of your world.

Hopefully you can find someone to talk to about your problems. In the meantime think positive. If you want to talk with me about whatever is bothering you in life, just pm me any time. I will be glad to help you. Have a blessed day.

The entire reason my first hair transplant was a bust was probably because the surgeon decided it was reasonable to transplant 72FU/cm on me, so as someone who was screwed over by a dense pack, I'd say don't do it, go to a more reasonable surgeon instead and just get a small second surgery to bump the density up if you're unhappy with it.

Also adding that despite all my suspicions about the quality of my second surgery, LGBT discrimination isn't one of them. I'll probably fully explain all of my doubts at the 'final result'.

Hello Transhair,

Thank you for your reply. I did not know that you had 72 grafts/cm2. Could you tell me the doctor was gave you 72 grafts?

It is great that you had a better experience elsewhere. I mistook you for someone else who was discriminated by a clinic for his sex orientation. Excuse the confusion.

I keep hearing good things about Baubac though. Perhaps there are patients of his on the forum who can share their experience.

Hope your second transplant turns out a winner. Good luck and let me know who was your first doctor, my friend.

Here is what I know. I spent like an hour or more speaking with Dr Baubac and his consultant last year IN PERSON. I saw someone there that had work done by him and his hairline was soo natural i would not believe he had a transplant. Aside from that less grafts were used so I sensed the yield was extremely high. I was really impressed as the hair type was similar to mine. It was an extremely well framed hairline and the artistic structure was through the roof. It was well planned taking future loss innconsideration.

Some folks have issues with the brand name, even I was conflicted due to past threads on some forums and what I read. Even some consultants from other docs confused me regarding the brand. I decided to evaluate the doc and see his input in person when it comes to FUE. This doctor does his own extractions and his results are incredible (esp hairlines). Yes, celebs go to him and based on his results, I can see why.

It may be good to consult with the doc in person. Some folks mentioned higher prices, not sure if thats the case here. At the time I spoke to him, prices were in line with other FUE docs. He posts on other venues online, you may be able to ask him questions there.

If you like fue work of Dr Keser, Dr Lupanzula, Dr Feriduni, Dr Bisanga etc, you will probably like this doctors work.

Here is what I know. I spent like an hour or more speaking with Dr Baubac and his consultant last year IN PERSON. I saw someone there that had work done by him and his hairline was soo natural i would not believe he had a transplant. Aside from that less grafts were used so I sensed the yield was extremely high.

Hello sean,

Hey sean appreciate the follow up! So you saw Dr. Baubac in person. I got questions for you. Did you see other patients with good results other than the one you saw?

What do you mean by, “less grafts were used so I sensed the yield was extremely high.” I thought in order to have a high result you need more grafts not less. Please clarify.

This doctor does his own extractions and his results are incredible (esp hairlines).

The one thing that bothers me about Baubac is his exclusive focus on FUE. His consultant over the phone said that FUT was outdated. I disagree. In the past I have seen better turnout with FUT than with FUE. I could be wrong though. But then again if Baubac’s results are great with FUE you cannot argue with that.

He posts on other venues online, you may be able to ask him questions there.

Curious, why does he not post on this site? Granted, this forum is not as popular as other hair transplant forums. But it is strange that he does not post here. Perhaps you may explain?

If you like fue work of Dr Keser, Dr Lupanzula, Dr Feriduni, Dr Bisanga etc, you will probably like this doctors work.

Actually, I am a fan of Dauer, Dorin and Erdogan. I am overseas now on a project and am trying to get more info on US doctors for my next visit there. Though I do not want to give props just yet without all the convincing info first, so far Baubac looks like he is the best. Need to be confident about this statement first with enough "proof".

Hope to hear from you again!

Hello sean,

Hey sean appreciate the follow up! So you saw Dr. Baubac in person. I got questions for you. Did you see other patients with good results other than the one you saw?

What do you mean by, “less grafts were used so I sensed the yield was extremely high.” I thought in order to have a high result you need more grafts not less. Please clarify.

The one thing that bothers me about Baubac is his exclusive focus on FUE. His consultant over the phone said that FUT was outdated. I disagree. In the past I have seen better turnout with FUT than with FUE. I could be wrong though. But then again if Baubac’s results are great with FUE you cannot argue with that.

Curious, why does he not post on this site? Granted, this forum is not as popular as other hair transplant forums. But it is strange that he does not post here. Perhaps you may explain?

Actually, I am a fan of Dauer, Dorin and Erdogan. I am overseas now on a project and am trying to get more info on US doctors for my next visit there. Though I do not want to give props just yet without all the convincing info first, so far Baubac looks like he is the best. Need to be confident about this statement first with enough "proof".

Hope to hear from you again!

1- mean of less grafts is that if he uses 1500 grafts it would look amazing for 1500 grafts. Versus a doctor that yses like 3500 grafts and the result is not optimal but people still think it looks ok. I personally think the yield rate is high.

2- FUE is great in some hands where FUT seems to be great in most hands. FUE is a delicate orocedure and not everyone can nail it to a FUT level of yield. I doctors that are upper level and have great yield along with artistic hairline framing and creation. If a doctor uses 4500 grafts in two sessions to achieve a result that another doc can in 2500 grafts, id go to the doc that saves grafts and gets great yield.

3- the reason he does not post on this site? I think that can be answered by mods, but I think Dr Baubac should be considered if this site allows it.

4- i seen some patients come in throughout when i was in lounge, didnt talk to any but one, but the art, yield, and the fact he did the extractions was impressive.

If you really want, its best to see and talk to a doc in person. youd probably get tons of questions answered that way. Good luck and i hooe you find the right surgeon to cater to your needs SAFELY.

2- FUE is great in some hands where FUT seems to be great in most hands. FUE is a delicate procedure and not everyone can nail it to a FUT level of yield.

4- i seen some patients come in throughout when i was in lounge, didnt talk to anyone, but the art, yield, and the fact he did the extractions was impressive.

If you really want, its best to see and talk to a doc in person. .

Hello sean,

Which do you think yields the best hair overall, FUT or FUE?

Both procedures can yield well in right hands. However, with FUE, you need to be more selective and make sure a doc has a good surgical protocol.

Hello sean,

Thank you for the info. But it seems like you are saying that FUE is riskier than FUT if I am reading you correctly.

No, FUE is newer than FUT and I do not think all surgeons have mastered it fully yet. The ones with the highest yield and less donor damage are at the top of the game. There are surgeons that can put out wow FUE results but there are also surgeons that put out piss poor FUT results. Both are good, FUT is easier to do. For FUE, some docs get it, some don't, those that don't, the patients may suffer.

Id stay away from robots for sure.

Doctor extraction is key. Good luck.

No, FUE is newer than FUT and I do not think all surgeons have mastered it fully yet. The ones with the highest yield and less donor damage are at the top of the game. There are surgeons that can put out wow FUE results but there are also surgeons that put out piss poor FUT results. Both are good, FUT is easier to do. For FUE, some docs get it, some don't, those that don't, the patients may suffer.

Id stay away from robots for sure.

Doctor extraction is key. Good luck.

Hello sean,

I see your point. Will do my best to research the doctors offering both and see. Thank you.

Hello gillenator,

Milo,

The higher the number of recipient incisions that are made within a defined surface area, say 1 cm2, the more relative trauma there will be. And whenever the level of trauma is raised, the corresponding level of yield decreases. Now I know there are variables within this statement but the principle in practice is true. And what a waste of grafts!....:eek:

Do you have any idea what the area would look like to even fit 100 - 120 incisions? That's absurd. Even using a micro-sized blade, it would be nearly impossible if at all possible, even on a completely bald area.

But as I stated before, that level of density is unfounded and not necessary, celebrity or not. So to communicate that to a prospective new patient should sound a thousand bells within your realm of sound reasoning. Think about that.

And too many times the conversation centers around numbers (density) when all of the individual's hair characteristics should be considered in the restoration plan, namely the degree of coarseness of the hair shafts. That factor supercedes the numbers by a long shot.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Milo,

Do you have any idea what the area would look like to even fit 100 - 120 incisions? That's absurd. Even using a micro-sized blade, it would be nearly impossible if at all possible, even on a completely bald area.

But as I stated before, that level of density is unfounded and not necessary, celebrity or not. So to communicate that to a prospective new patient should sound a thousand bells within your realm of sound reasoning.

Hi gillenator,

Appreciate the reply. Given his high dense pack grafts I wonder how Dr. Baubac is able to churn out many great looking successful results. The fact he is considered credible to some here is very strange indeed!

Today I will contact the spokesperson and pose him some questions about this. Will circle back to let you know his answers. Should be either informative or entertaining.

In any case I am very attracted to what I have seen thus far, I will not lie. That said I will probe this matter further.