Your thoughts about switching to topical finasteride

wwujd

Hi guys,

Have been lurking on these forums for a while, finally making it official and joining. Posting this here and another couple of the forums because I haven't seen much about it yet, but have any of you read about, used, or found suppliers for topical finasteride? I've had the side effects many of you have and stressed about continuing to use it orally but I found some studies that show the topical looks very promising and could be effective without the side effects. Any thoughts or recommendations?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also interested in topical fin. Unfortunately, it's not really available in the US yet. Hasson & Wong in Canada make some, but scripts are only available to Canadians, and I think you have to go to their office in Vancouver in person. Not sure where you are or if that's an option. But as far as I know, there really isn't much availability in the US other than, maybe, through some sketchy online pharmacies or something.

Also, I don't hear much from people on this forum that are actually using the H&W topical, so not sure about effectiveness/side effects/etc

I do wonder sometimes why it's not become a popular option, ie- why haven't any companies produced and marketed a viable topical option? Makes me think there may be a similar problem with side effects, in which case, if one were to have fairly equal risk of sides, might as well just take a pill rather than spread something all over your head daily. Either that or maybe since oral form is FDA approved, it's easy for companies to make their own Fin and sell it, while making a topical might require a new FDA approval, which is slow and expensive.

Ultimately, it's not currently an easily obtained option for most of us. So, again, our options are more or less oral fin versus baldness. A bleak set of choices.

How does topical fin actually work. ?

I mean I know the oral fin suppresses 5 alpha reductase which in turn decreases production of DHT.

Wouldn't topical have to do the exact same thing to be equally effective ?

That is , first get absorbed into the skin and then blood and then do the exact same suppression of 5 alpha reductase.

which means topical fin may be a lot less effective than oral fin given this extra step of absorption into the skin. ?

maybe I have this whole thing wrong but can someone more knowledgeable than me explain the process by which topical fin achieves the same efficacy as oral fin ?

Thank you !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

SMG is offering topical finasteride via a pharmacy in Italy. It's being delivered as we speak. I'm still feeling mixed about it but will likely test only in frustration areas first 3x per week.

The only alternative is the solution Dr. Wesley is currently offering which is a lesser topical dosage. Admittedly less sure about his preparation method but have a note out to confirm.

He referenced a pretty substantial study I'm trying to get my hands on too.

• 1 month later...

There are many preparations with finasteride 1) EsseGen-6 Plus (Minoxidil 6% + Finasteride 0.05%). 2) DualGen-15 With Plus (Minoxidil 15% + Finasteride 0.1%). 3) Morr-F (minoxidil / fin.) 5% / 0.1% (60 ml)

My personal opinion is don't fix what's not broken. In other words, if oral finasteride a.k.a. Propecia is working for you without any side effects, why switch?

However, if you are experiencing side effects, then it might make sense to switch and try it topically.

Best wishes,

Bill