Ranking Top 5 FUT Surgeons in the World - Who to go with for First HT?

jcs87

Which Doctor should I go with for my first FUT HT?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all, I've been lurking on this forum for the past couple of months. Tremendous resource and I know so much more than I did just a few months ago.

I have decided that I am going to get a hair transplant to restore density to my hairline and fill in some of my temple angles - although I would be interested if folks here think I am doing this at too young of an age/stage of hair loss...

First the basics:

Age I started losing hair: Probably really started to notice it around 20 years old.

Past Surgeries: None

Treatment: Taken Propecia for the past 3 years. It definitely helped. I think it probably added some density in the crown and mid-scalp areas but the temples are still continuing to recede, albeit at a slower pace compared to when I wasn't on propecia.

I've used Rogaine on and off but I never felt like it was doing much and it would sometimes give me an itchy scalp so I haven't used it in about 12 months.

Ideally I'd like to get off Propecia because I don't like messing with my body's hormones like that and I've felt like the libido side effects have hit me at times (but never bad enough to stop taking the meds). But I am pretty sure that if I were ever to do that then my hair loss would come back with a vengeance...so I'm sort of on the fence about future propecia usage.

Most likely procedure: I'm leaning towards FUT Strip at this point

Based on a lot of research and consultations I've narrowed my list down to four top doctors (all prices have been converted to $USD so these prices will fluctuate a little bit with exchange rates). Also each doctor's treatment plan / pricing structure is slightly different but I assumed 2,500 grafts so that I could do an apples to apples comparison:

All Prices converted to $USD:

Dr. Pathomvanich in Thailand - $2.66 per graft for a total cost of $6,700

Drs. Hasson & Wong in Vancouver - $3.91 per graft. Total cost of $9,500 (this price factors in a $800 travel credit)

Dr Rahal in Canada - $3.88 per graft. Total cost of $9,700 (this price factors in a $1,000 travel credit and $1,500 in taxes)

Dr Gabel in Portland, OR USA - $4 per graft + $500 setup fee = total cost of $10,500

I'm basically looking to balance price with skill/quality. As far as I can tell all of these doctors are very skilled and widely respected. Dr Path is significantly cheaper than the other three (and I go to vacation in Thailand once a year so I was thinking I could kill two birds with one stone and do the surgery while I'm there anyways.) That being said, if the consensus is that one of the other three doctors is far and away a much better surgeon then perhaps I'd reconsider and spend the extra money...

I'm leaning towards Dr Path and just scheduled a surgery date for mid Feb'17 (I still have ~10 days to cancel without any penalty though). The price is right and he seems to be quite well respected but I have some concerns:

1. It sounds like his nurses do all of the graft placement - he only handles the strip removal and lateral slit incisions. I would prefer that my doctor is involved in every step of the process (even though I understand it would be impossible for him to plant every single graft)

2. I came across this very negative HT experience that someone had: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/175559-dr-path-poor-results-stay-away-him-3.html

3. In that same thread there are a number of people chiming in saying that Dr Path's results have gone downhill in the past year or two.

4. On the other hand, I have gone through countless threads posted by both patients and by Dr Path himself and the results seem good so I may be allowing a few negative experience to stress me out too much

5. Dr Path received very strong endorsements from Dr Wong (2006) and Dr Parsley (2002)

I'd love to get some feedback on (1) How appropriate a HT would be for me at this point in time (2) Which doctor to go with.

Thanks everyone!

Also, a quick guide to the photos:

The ones with a buzzed head are from 2013 and 2014 - As you can see it looks like I'm destined to be a Norwood 6..but Propecia has been very helpful in halting and reversing some of this. Still, noticeable receding hairline and miniaturization of hairs in the front.

The one taken outdoors in a grey t shirt was done with pretty wet hair to fully showcase my hair loss

The ones outdoors/indoors in a brown jacket were taken at a BBQ so they are showing what the hair looks like in the wild when it is recently cut and styled (hair doesn't look nearly as bad in these angles). No concealers.

The selfie style with a sweater on (taken while I'm seated) is probably the best representation of what my hair looks like these days when it is dry and styled normally (no concealers or anything else were used in this photo). The mid-scalp and crown are perfectly acceptable but the front third, hairline, and temples, are what bother me at this point.

Lastly, the selfies with no shirt on are what the hair looks like when I comb the hair forward to illustrate the hair loss (I never style my hair like this though)

Edited by David - Moderator

Hi all, I've been lurking on this forum for the past couple of months. Tremendous resource and I know so much more than I did just a few months ago.

I have decided that I am going to get a hair transplant to restore density to my hairline and fill in some of my temple angles - although I would be interested if folks here think I am doing this at too young of an age/stage of hair loss...

First the basics:

Age I started losing hair: Probably really started to notice it around 20 years old.

Past Surgeries: None

Treatment: Taken Propecia for the past 3 years. It definitely helped. I think it probably added some density in the crown and mid-scalp areas but the temples are still continuing to recede, albeit at a slower pace compared to when I wasn't on propecia.

I've used Rogaine on and off but I never felt like it was doing much and it would sometimes give me an itchy scalp so I haven't used it in about 12 months.

Ideally I'd like to get off Propecia because I don't like messing with my body's hormones like that and I've felt like the libido side effects have hit me at times (but never bad enough to stop taking the meds). But I am pretty sure that if I were ever to do that then my hair loss would come back with a vengeance...so I'm sort of on the fence about future propecia usage.

Most likely procedure: I'm leaning towards FUT Strip at this point

Based on a lot of research and consultations I've narrowed my list down to four top doctors (all prices have been converted to $USD so these prices will fluctuate a little bit with exchange rates). Also each doctor's treatment plan / pricing structure is slightly different but I assumed 2,500 grafts so that I could do an apples to apples comparison:

All Prices converted to $USD:

Dr. Pathomvanich in Thailand - $2.66 per graft for a total cost of $6,700

Drs. Hasson & Wong in Vancouver - $3.91 per graft. Total cost of $9,500 (this price factors in a $800 travel credit)

Dr Rahal in Canada - $3.88 per graft. Total cost of $9,700 (this price factors in a $1,000 travel credit and $1,500 in taxes)

Dr Gabel in Portland, OR USA - $4 per graft + $500 setup fee = total cost of $10,500

I'm basically looking to balance price with skill/quality. As far as I can tell all of these doctors are very skilled and widely respected. Dr Path is significantly cheaper than the other three (and I go to vacation in Thailand once a year so I was thinking I could kill two birds with one stone and do the surgery while I'm there anyways.) That being said, if the consensus is that one of the other three doctors is far and away a much better surgeon then perhaps I'd reconsider and spend the extra money...

I'm leaning towards Dr Path and just scheduled a surgery date for mid Feb'17 (I still have ~10 days to cancel without any penalty though). The price is right and he seems to be quite well respected but I have some concerns:

1. It sounds like his nurses do all of the graft placement - he only handles the strip removal and lateral slit incisions. I would prefer that my doctor is involved in every step of the process (even though I understand it would be impossible for him to plant every single graft)

2. I came across this very negative HT experience that someone had: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/175559-dr-path-poor-results-stay-away-him-3.html

3. In that same thread there are a number of people chiming in saying that Dr Path's results have gone downhill in the past year or two.

4. On the other hand, I have gone through countless threads posted by both patients and by Dr Path himself and the results seem good so I may be allowing a few negative experience to stress me out too much

5. Dr Path received very strong endorsements from Dr Wong (2006) and Dr Parsley (2002)

I'd love to get some feedback on (1) How appropriate a HT would be for me at this point in time (2) Which doctor to go with.

Thanks everyone!

Also, a quick guide to the photos:

The ones with a buzzed head are from 2013 and 2014 - As you can see it looks like I'm destined to be a Norwood 6..but Propecia has been very helpful in halting and reversing some of this. Still, noticeable receding hairline and miniaturization of hairs in the front.

The one taken outdoors in a grey t shirt was done with pretty wet hair to fully showcase my hair loss

The ones outdoors/indoors in a brown jacket were taken at a BBQ so they are showing what the hair looks like in the wild when it is recently cut and styled (hair doesn't look nearly as bad in these angles). No concealers.

The selfie style with a sweater on (taken while I'm seated) is probably the best representation of what my hair looks like these days when it is dry and styled normally (no concealers or anything else were used in this photo). The mid-scalp and crown are perfectly acceptable but the front third, hairline, and temples, are what bother me at this point.

Lastly, the selfies with no shirt on are what the hair looks like when I comb the hair forward to illustrate the hair loss (I never style my hair like this though)

You should consider how your donor region might be affected along with your ability to wear preferred hairstyles. At this point, you want to consider a solution for the crown and planning to get maximal coverage for ten years from now.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I'd say Gabel or Hasson and Wong as the top docs. Rahal is a great surgeon too.

Based on my experience, I can't recommend Dr. Path.

I think you should consider surgeons like Dr. Cooley, Konior and Ron Shapiro as well.

Thanks for the feedback Transhair. Yeah you're the second person in 24 hours to mention Dr Cooley so I think I'm gonna take a look at him. I also think I'm gonna take a closer look at Shapiro (I've come across his name all over the forums so I don't really have a good reason for not including him in my initial list). I've heard Konior is quite expensive, any idea what his prices are?

Why would you put Gabel/H&W a step ahead of Rahal?

Also, could you elaborate on why you wouldn't recommend Dr Path?

You should consider how your donor region might be affected along with your ability to wear preferred hairstyles. At this point, you want to consider a solution for the crown and planning to get maximal coverage for ten years from now.

Thanks for the input. So when you talk about donor region impact are you referring to the FUT linear scar versus FUE scarring?

Two of the doctors I've had consults with have said I most likely will not have enough donor hair for the crown so I should be mentally prepared for that (donor hair would've been used up to address hairline and mid-scalp)

You'll not likely be able to get a procedure with him less than one year ahead of time, but why isn't Dr. Konior on your list for FUT?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

You'll not likely be able to get a procedure with him less than one year ahead of time, but why isn't Dr. Konior on your list for FUT?

My initial starting point for getting this short list was to cross-reference the recommended surgeon lists from IAHRS, American Hair Loss Association, Hair Transplant Network, and Bald Truth Talk. I figured that doctors that kept showing up on all of those lists were worth looking into.

As far as I can tell Dr Konior is only recommended on this site, none of the others - so that's why I was not aware of him when putting together my list.

Based on further research and time spent on the forums it seems like I made another noticeable omission: Dr Shapiro of Minneapolis.

Another doc whose name has come up a couple times but I hven't had a chance to really look into is Dr Cooley of North Carolina.

How would you say these three docs stack up against the Rahal, H&W, Gabel caliber docs?

It is my opinion that Dr. Path does not belong in your list of doctors. Konior ought to be in there

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Those are all top surgeons.

Konior, Hasson, Rahal, Shapiro, Gabel, Cooley

I would try to have a face to face consultation where possible with as many of these docs as you can, and at least online consults.

My personal top two are Konior and Hasson based on experiences with them, but Konior is booked until next year.

Also agree with Ernie's statement.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

It is my opinion that Dr. Path does not belong in your list of doctors. Konior ought to be in there

Is there any back story to why Dr Konior isn't recommended on the other sites (pretty much all of the other elite docs I'm considering are recommended on IAHRS, Bald Truth Talk, and American Hair Loss Association). You mentioned that he has a 1-year wait list so is he simply so successful that he doesn't feel the need to 'play the game'?

Also, any particular reasons/details that you feel like Dr Path doesn't belong on the list?

Those are all top surgeons.

Konior, Hasson, Rahal, Shapiro, Gabel, Cooley

I would try to have a face to face consultation where possible with as many of these docs as you can, and at least online consults.

My personal top two are Konior and Hasson based on experiences with them, but Konior is booked until next year.

Also agree with Ernie's statement.

Any particular reasons/details that you feel like Dr Path doesn't belong on the list?

If I were to go with H&W what are the pros and cons in your opinion of Hasson vs Wong?

For hairline work such as yours, you have to at least talk to Ron Shapiro even if you eventually end up going with someone else. His expertise in this area is unique.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr.r.shapiro, Dr. konior, Dr cooley ,all highly respected HT docs. I don't think theres 1 top surgen and everyone else is ranked lower, theres a few top ht doc that produce quality results on a regular and these 3 docs are on that list.

• Like 1

Is there any back story to why Dr Konior isn't recommended on the other sites (pretty much all of the other elite docs I'm considering are recommended on IAHRS, Bald Truth Talk, and American Hair Loss Association). You mentioned that he has a 1-year wait list so is he simply so successful that he doesn't feel the need to 'play the game'?

Also, any particular reasons/details that you feel like Dr Path doesn't belong on the list?

Any particular reasons/details that you feel like Dr Path doesn't belong on the list?

If I were to go with H&W what are the pros and cons in your opinion of Hasson vs Wong?

I don't think there is any "back story" at all.

Dr Konior is well renowned and respected among the hair restoration community as being one of the best and currently is booked extremely long periods out and probably doesn't need or want any more extra promotion than he already has.

I think actually he's going to be even more choosey on the patient's he performs on now that he's also in high demand for FUE.

He's recommended here on HRN which is the premiere hair restoration forum out there and not being recommended on Bald Truth etc. doesn't really mean that much.

As to your comment on the IAHRS etc., did you really do your research?

From Dr. Konior's website:

http://www.chicagohairinstitute.com/about-the-doctor/ten-reasons-to-choose-dr-konior

Exclusive Membership - The two organizations considered by many to be the most exclusive in the field of hair restoration, the International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons (IAHRS) and the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians, have each accepted Dr. Konior as a full member. He is one of a small number of surgeons in the world to have been awarded membership in both organizations

And did you know that Dr. Gabel was actually trained under Dr. Konior?

Having Gabel and not Konior on your list is quite odd and makes me wonder how you came up with your list. Btw I'm not pushing you to definitely go with Konior, just that I think you need to do more research overall.

As for Path, he's maybe Ok but I just don't include him being among the best of the best after researching HT's for more than 25 years and being an active member here for more than six years. Transhair's case for example.

Hasson is my preference over Wong from the same research and from looking at many results on this forum.

Your research may differ for your individual case so research it deeply.

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Nah, I think he should be mentioned, but agreed OP will have a hard time getting a booking with him.

go dense or go home

For hairline work such as yours, you have to at least talk to Ron Shapiro even if you eventually end up going with someone else. His expertise in this area is unique.

That's an interesting comment, could you elaborate further? Is Shapiro known for being really good with temple recession, diffuse thinning, and loss of density along the hairline (these are the three big issues that I'm dealing with at the moment).

I definitely do intend to speak w/ him based on feedback/research.

I believe he did at one point but seems to specialize in FUE now.

Some of the older FUT results I found by Maras when researching him are quite impressive.

Reasonable prices too.

go dense or go home

I don't think there is any "back story" at all.

Dr Konior is well renowned and respected among the hair restoration community as being one of the best and currently is booked extremely long periods out and probably doesn't need or want any more extra promotion than he already has.

I think actually he's going to be even more choosey on the patient's he performs on now that he's also in high demand for FUE.

He's recommended here on HRN which is the premiere hair restoration forum out there and not being recommended on Bald Truth etc. doesn't really mean that much.

That's a perfectly fine explanation and as I acknowledged in my previous post "You mentioned that he has a 1-year wait list so is he simply so successful that he doesn't feel the need to 'play the game'?" But I think it's a fair question to ask given that the majority of other "elite" surgeons are members of all of these orgs.

Is it a widely accepted conclusion that being recommended on HRN is more prestigious than being an IAHRS member. I was sort of under the impression that IAHRS is considered the most elite?

As to your comment on the IAHRS etc., did you really do your research?

From Dr. Konior's website:

Ten Reason to Choose Dr. Konior - Chicago Hair Institute

Exclusive Membership - The two organizations considered by many to be the most exclusive in the field of hair restoration, the International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons (IAHRS) and the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians, have each accepted Dr. Konior as a full member. He is one of a small number of surgeons in the world to have been awarded membership in both organizations

I know that tone can be lost via written communication but I can't help being rubbed the wrong way by the implied tone of this post. Yes, I did do my research: If you go to the IAHRS's own website here: IAHRS Members | Hair Transplant Doctors you will notice that Dr Konior is NOT listed.

If you had to choose between a doctor's website that makes a claim of being a member in something versus that org's own public membership list, which would you go with? I think any reasonable person would say to trust the org's membership list first. (and keep in mind I'm new here - I don't have years of experience like you do to know that Dr Konior is considered a world class surgeon in this community)

Sure, it's possible that this is just a mistaken omission on the IAHRS website but I think it's being pretty over-critical of me to say that I'm slacking on my research for concluding he's not a member if he's not on that website's very own membership list.

And did you know that Dr. Gabel was actually trained under Dr. Konior?

Having Gabel and not Konior on your list is quite odd and makes me wonder how you came up with your list. Btw I'm not pushing you to definitely go with Konior, just that I think you need to do more research overall.

I did not know that. There wasn't any scientific methodology to my list. Just from reading the forums and having conversations with some folks in the community. As I've already acknowledged I have come to the realization that I jumped the gun and I am not yet ready to make a decision. Need to continue researching.

As for Path, he's maybe Ok but I just don't include him being among the best of the best after researching HT's for more than 25 years and being an active member here for more than six years. Transhair's case for example.

Hasson is my preference over Wong from the same research and from looking at many results on this forum.

Your research may differ for your individual case so research it deeply.

Yeah I've heard the same feedback from many folks on Path. No one thinks he's terrible but no one thinks he's elite either.

I believe I saw somewhere that Dr Cooley trained under Dr Vogel in Baltimore but I never see Vogel's name mentioned anywhere. Any idea why?

I understand that every person is unique and I am more than willing to put in the hours and time necessary to do the research. I am new here but I am a long-standing and well respected member of other internet forums (that deal with completely different topics) so I "get it" that it annoys the old-timers when newbies come in wanting everything handed to them on a silver platter.

That being said, ideally, I was hoping people that have been on these forums for years and have tons of knowledge to share could say something like: "Given your hair loss situation and pictures from the original post if you're looking to do FUT the most widely respected surgeons are Doc 1,2,3,4,5. If you're looking to do FUE the most widely respected surgeons are Doc 6,7,8,9,10."

And if possible, any additional details such as "Doc 1 is known for amazing hairline work, Doc 2 is known for amazing work with NW4-6 cases, Doc 7 is known for incredibly low transection rates w/ FUE technique, etc. etc." Those are the sort of succinct lists and commentary that can really accelerate the learning curve for a newbie like me.

And then I'd be more than happy to really drill down and read thread after thread on those 10 doctors that the community has pointed me towards.

Edited by jcs87

Dr.r.shapiro, Dr. konior, Dr cooley ,all highly respected HT docs. I don't think theres 1 top surgen and everyone else is ranked lower, theres a few top ht doc that produce quality results on a regular and these 3 docs are on that list.

So at this point my list that I want to research further for FUT is:

R Shapiro

H&W

Rahal

Cooley

Gabel

Konior - probably out due to cost and long wait list

Feller- Out due to cost

Any noticeable omissions?

Does HDC and doctor Maras do fut? Their hairlines is epic also

I believe he did at one point but seems to specialize in FUE now.

Some of the older FUT results I found by Maras when researching him are quite impressive.

Reasonable prices too.

Maras still lists FUT on his website. This is the first I'm hearing of this Doc.

I should also probably take this opportunity to say that I think I was premature in confining my search to FUT doctors, I am going to seriously look into FUE as well since this may actually be a better fit for me due to short hair styling that I usually go with.

Based on very preliminary research the names that I have in my head are: Bisanga, Lorenzo, Feriduni, and maybe Lupanzula and maybe Mwamba. Seems like for North American doctors Shapiro or maybe Konior are the names I see coming up most often for FUE.

I'm also trying to gather more info on what seem to be the 2 top Turkish docs: Doganay and Erdogan (Erdogan sounds great and the price is right, but it also sounds like they run a bit of a factory operation over there and it's unclear to me how involved the doc is with my actual surgery).

Lastly, there are the three Indian docs recommended on this site: Tejinder Bhatti, Kapil Dua, and Pos wal. I never see anyone mentioning the Indian docs as being in the top tier elite conversation though...Anyone with thoughts on these guys (for either FUE or FUT).

Edited by jcs87

If you want to wear your hair very short than go with FUE.

FUE techniques including yield rates have really improved over the years.

The cost for FUE in N. America is exorbitantly high, so Europe and Turkey are the wiser choice unless it's only a smaller procedure.

My recommended doctors for FUT and FUE are in my signature.

Here is a link to a good forum post on affordable FUE docs in Europe.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185092-best-affordable-place-surgery-europe.html

Two excellent must-reads on the ins and outs of FUE:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169499-pros-cons-fue-myths-dispelled.html#post2337385

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169281-ultimate-manual-versus-motorized-fue-thread.html

Also what I really recommend is to have as many in person consultations with your top 3 pics.

There's only so much we can help you with over the internet (though we try our best). An in person examination of your donor hair is important, and will give you a better evaluation if FUE or FUT is best or if you're an ideal candidate overall for a HT.

good luck

go dense or go home

I think H&W have made their name doing great megasessions, not to say they can't do great work for lower norwoods, but megasessions is their "niche". Surgeons like Konior and Gabel are known for apart from refined hairlines they are known for really neat work when it comes to donor area scars. Cooley apart from being a well respected FUT surgeon is also very knowledgeable about dermatology and is an innovator.

The Indian clinics, I find them to be below the top Western ones when it comes to aesthetic appeal. They can move hair for sure, but artistically, they have some way to go, but may improve here on out.

Turkish clinics to look at: Demirsoy, Keser, Ozgur, Karadeniz.

If you want to wear your hair very short than go with FUE.

FUE techniques including yield rates have really improved over the years.

The cost for FUE in N. America is exorbitantly high, so Europe and Turkey are the wiser choice unless it's only a smaller procedure.

My recommended doctors for FUT and FUE are in my signature.

Here is a link to a good forum post on affordable FUE docs in Europe.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185092-best-affordable-place-surgery-europe.html

The link isn't working for me but I believe you're probably referring to a thread on best value FUE docs in Europe - I came across that during my research and you're right it is quite a helpful thread.

These threads are incredible - I'm currently only on page 7 or so but I'm planning to read all ~40 pages. Thank you for bringing them to my attention!

Also what I really recommend is to have as many in person consultations with your top 3 pics.

There's only so much we can help you with over the internet (though we try our best). An in person examination of your donor hair is important, and will give you a better evaluation if FUE or FUT is best or if you're an ideal candidate overall for a HT.

good luck

Yeah I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to accomplish this. My top choices for FUT are scattered all over N America and my top choices for FUE are all in Europe so it's rather difficult. Might try and fly over to Brussels and schedule 3 consultations with 3 dif docs since there seems to be a cluster of highly talented guys in that area.

Ok, I saw your photos. IMHO I think you can rule out FUT if you keep your hair that short like in the side part pics. I'm not bashing FUT, but if you're cutting it to the point where skin is visible, then the scar risks visibility as well. (That's what Konior said - skin visible, scar visible).

• 6 months later...