My HT's with Dr. Umar - DermHair Clinic, L.A.

AB2000

On 3/24/2021 at 6:10 AM, BeHappy said:

Once I dye it all a dark color it looks so much more full and it all blends together much better. You really should do that. You don't need to wait a year.

I did ask my clinic about the aftercare instructions.  When I asked for clarification on hair colour I got the response that yes, wait a year.

If I had to guess, the less a person does to irritate their scalp skin the better the yield.  Part of this last procedure was body hair into the crown, two factors that can result in over a year before any growth of those grafts.

I used to be a person that would shampoo ever day but now I do it every third or so, and use Nizoral.  Haven't had any inflammation of the scalp other than the recovery itself from last summer.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:40 PM, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

What did he reply? A great, well documented case btw, and a great result. I really like these BHT threads as there is not a lot of them and it gives hope to high Norwoods.

In regards to the transplanted beard hair the results are inconsistent enough for him to not want to promise that these will transform into ones that look indistinguishable from scalp sourced donor.  With body donor he didn't mention much except that it could be up to 18 months before these graft start growing out and that in the long term they might more resemble head hair.  So nothing we can count on, other than what we use BHT for, as a last option to add coverage and density.

I won't be able to find it now since there are so many cases posted on the Darling Buds website, but in one of them I remember Dr. Bhatti showing a result where the implanted chest hairs were seen to be growing much longer than they would if they were still on the body.  In his experience he claims that donor dominance is untrue and that body hairs should change behavior to some extent.  I'll post that video in a separate reply.

Back when Dr. Umar's clinic was still posting results one of them was of an early BHT patient who had 1,000 leg hairs put into his pluggy hairline.  He was a poster here from years ago, Sofarsogood.  They showed his hair line nine years later:

9-years-leg-hair-grafts-625-pixels.jpg

This video is from the two year mark:

On 3/24/2021 at 9:40 PM, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

What did he reply? A great, well documented case btw, and a great result. I really like these BHT threads as there is not a lot of them and it gives hope to high Norwoods.

If you go to the 13:31 mark of this Dr. Bhatti video he makes his claim that donor dominance is untrue.  That being said if you were to ask them they will most likely not do any BHT other than under the jowl for beard hair and around the pecs for the chest donor.

On 3/24/2021 at 6:10 AM, BeHappy said:

Yes. I was going to say that to you. I have the same problem but the opposite way. My chest hair is completely gray while my native scalp hair is a mix of dark and gray and I think even the grays from the chest are a different shade of gray than the scalp. This makes it look like I have patches of different hair if I let it go without coloring it. Plus the gray hair just makes me look thinner anyway. Once I dye it all a dark color it looks so much more full and it all blends together much better. You really should do that. You don't need to wait a year.

Your photo album shows your hairline from 2014.  What have you been up to since then?  Any more procedures that you've posted?

21 minutes ago, AB2000 said:

Back when Dr. Umar's clinic was still posting results one of them was of an early BHT patient who had 1,000 leg hairs put into his pluggy hairline.  He was a poster here from years ago, Sofarsogood.  They showed his hair line nine years later:

9-years-leg-hair-grafts-625-pixels.jpg

I thought I remembered seeing something else with him.  He was in a Dr. Umar video ad for a hair product recently, which shows the body hairs all these years later:

https://ugro.com/gashee-hair-stories-i-was-looking-for-something-to-up-my-game-josh/?fbclid=IwAR1KCPyIHvRjB08x0X6uB4QsmsPB8v0kBXqT30S9zsJzURLJ0g6_w2NTHwY

• Moderators
8 hours ago, AB2000 said:

Your photo album shows your hairline from 2014.  What have you been up to since then?  Any more procedures that you've posted?

I've had several additional procedures, but I haven't posted any of them. One of these days I really need to take some time to upload some pictures to my album. That first one in 2014 was 600 grafts from my chest. I've now had a total of 5300+ grafts from my beard, chest, and abdomen. No scalp grafts were used as I already had an overly depleted and thinning donor.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Looking good.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier I had posted some updates after a trip to a local barber.  That was my first visit in 20 years, as the last time I remember was after 9/11.  I didn't like the result from March all that much and since it's been two months I tried again, but with more specific instructions.

With my hair type it doesn't lay flat as it has some body to it.  One advantage is that it can help create the appearance of more hair than there really is.  For this reason more grafts were taken from the safe donor than would normally be done.  One suggestion I was given at the clinic was to cut the sides very short and let the transplanted hair up top grow longer, so that the contrast in density isn't noticeable.  That's what I tried here, with the side and back shaved with a 1-guard and the top left to grow.  Other than looking a bit more like Kim Jung Un this turned out well.

IMG_20210512_124446.jpg

IMG_20210512_124508.jpg

IMG_20210512_124706.jpg

IMG_20210512_125003.jpg

IMG_20210512_125111.jpg

Edited by AB2000
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Looks really good man damn 🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 8 months later...
On 5/13/2021 at 4:36 PM, AB2000 said:

Same day, but with Toppik concealer added:

IMG_20210512_130728.thumb.jpg.db26200a19e6a34eb78e8c3c814aa8ce.jpgIMG_20210512_130645.thumb.jpg.894d04ea73fb205b3b8ee67b492ce144.jpgIMG_20210512_130632.thumb.jpg.878ac4172ddcc021598e45cf8675daa2.jpg

im amazed by how much body hair you were able to use, your definitely a pioneer

did the hairs change there characteristics over time from your experience to more match scalp hair or did it still feel like it had the same characterists as when it was on your beard, chest etc

23 hours ago, mmokin said:

im amazed by how much body hair you were able to use, your definitely a pioneer

did the hairs change there characteristics over time from your experience to more match scalp hair or did it still feel like it had the same characterists as when it was on your beard, chest etc

After the first surgery I could tell apart when I felt what was a chest hair growing out of my front hairline (finer) or beard hairs coming out on top of the crown (more scraggly).  At this point, a year and a half after the fifth procedure, I can't tell the difference through touch.  Whatever state the transplanted hairs were initially they appear to more closely resemble native hair.  In my case however, it wasn't that much of a journey for body hair to match my scalp hair, as my hair naturally grows out with some kinks and frizziness.  I think if I had fine hair and moved a lot of beard hair into fill areas I'd still be able to notice some difference.

One thing I do notice is that with subsequent HT's is that my body bounces back much easier.  It's as if my donor and recipient areas have learned what is going on and the amount of flare up I had from the first time hasn't happened again.  The body hairs have been doing well growing out in their new real estate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AB2000 said:

After the first surgery I could tell apart when I felt what was a chest hair growing out of my front hairline (finer) or beard hairs coming out on top of the crown (more scraggly).  At this point, a year and a half after the fifth procedure, I can't tell the difference through touch.  Whatever state the transplanted hairs were initially they appear to more closely resemble native hair.  In my case however, it wasn't that much of a journey for body hair to match my scalp hair, as my hair naturally grows out with some kinks and frizziness.  I think if I had fine hair and moved a lot of beard hair into fill areas I'd still be able to notice some difference.

One thing I do notice is that with subsequent HT's is that my body bounces back much easier.  It's as if my donor and recipient areas have learned what is going on and the amount of flare up I had from the first time hasn't happened again.  The body hairs have been doing well growing out in their new real estate.

what about the growth patterns are most of the body hairs dormant and dont grow long before shedding?

• 2 months later...

I don't watch Dr. Pimple Popper but am aware of it.  For those of you who are into scary scenes like that my surgeon will be appearing for an upcoming episode.  He was brought in to help a patient by removing acne keloidalis nuchae, as Dr. Umar is also a dermatologist.  Some of these cases are really unfortunate as the growths almost look like large tumors growing from the backs of peoples' heads.  Since these show up in the hairline it looks like HT can be done afterwards to help restore the appearance to normal.  I don't know if these types of keloids are genetic, as most of the images I've seen are on people who are African Americans.

https://meaww.com/dr-pimple-popper-dr-sanusi-umar-nigeria-aids-conference-research-geneva-tlc-reality-series-acne-case

'Dr Pimple Popper': Who is Dr Sanusi Umar? Dr Sandra Lee seeks dermatologist's help for acne case beyond her expertise

Argh!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...