AB2000

My HT's with Dr. Umar - DermHair Clinic, L.A.

3 hours ago, jj51702 said:

Looks like you’ve come a long way bro. What does umar charge for bht?

I suggest you get a price through a consultation.  While I imagine the price is the same for everyone I don't know for sure, which is why I recommend this.  What I will say is that in the four years of visits the price per graft that I paid went up a dollar, both head and body, so the price today might not what someone reading this some years down the line would pay.  What I like is that the rate for scalp and beard grafts are the same, though the body ones cost more, since those take more time and care to extract, from what I saw.  I think in some other clinics the beard donors cost more relative to head.  What I pay for by going to a place with experience and tools for BHT is a better survival rate.  Umar takes on patients with botched HT's which need body hair to salvage, and through his work over the years came up with a tool to specifically extract body hairs better.

Going into this back in 2014 I looked around and inquired with hair doctors in Turkey and India, which would have cost less.  I was flat out denied with a clinic in Turkey as I was not "a good candidate."  Bhatti in India has posted great results but wanted to go small on beard FUE to start out with and I didn't want to make multiple trips that far.  All in all I am happy with the results for what I paid for as hair loss was bothering me, and I wanted to get this hairstyle back after 15 years.

Here are a few pictures I took after adding Toppik to my thin areas on the crown and temples.  I wanted to see what I could achieve by only spending a couple of minutes, instead of laboring for a long time to get it just right.  If I had the Toppik bottle attachment with me that sprays the power I think it would have been easier to hit the temple area and front of the hairline better.  As it was I did what I saw on a youtube video once: turned the bottle upside down, pressed it against my head and rubbed it around over the hair, instead of sprinkling.  This actually works well.  For the recent results without the concealer, I posted them on the previous page, towards the bottom of the posts on that tab.

IMG_20190303_190956.jpg

IMG_20190303_191309.jpg

IMG_20190303_211057.jpg

Edited by AB2000

Looks good, is that with dermmatch and hair fibers or only hair fibers?

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

Posted (edited)

1 Year, 7 Months Post Op 4th HT:

Late in 2018 I went for a small procedure to see if adding arm hair could improve the density in the nape.  Scalp donor is very limited.  The clinic wasn't promising me results or driving this surgery, it was something I opted into and to take my chances.  It was 500 grafts, so if it didn't pan out the cost wouldn't be as huge.

With my hairloss pattern the receding hairline occurs in the nape as well, thinning out and balding upwards to the safe zone of a NW 6.  The hair is also losing colour, making it appear more depleted.  I use ControlGX from Just for Men to help with this issue, but as you will see further below, my current photos where I haven't been using it, the native nape is is grey and the transplanted arm hairs are dark brown, so you can see how the transplant went.

From the day of surgery and two months post op, here's a repost from earlier in the tread:

IMG_20181219_174656.jpg.25dd701c15be3077de9b28bf8ae35abb.jpg

IMG_20190101_122510.jpg.a7a88d6e458510cd68f5899388339662.jpg

Over a year and a half later, the slow growing body hair transplants have manifested:

IMG_20200703_190934.thumb.jpg.6336520328a1373d82515bed8a1244f5.jpg

IMG_20200703_190637.thumb.jpg.d6d3a327550a6be3da4305ef6c4ee521.jpg

IMG_20200706_181557.thumb.jpg.725db5ac54f382aea715820fc691ea38.jpg

IMG_20200706_181426.thumb.jpg.de18bae011973eba43074d257430a519.jpg

So in the end, I would say the procedure was a success.  I am unsure of the percentage of hairs made it and regrown, but they have had an impact on correcting my hairloss pattern and gives me the option to returning to this area for further work if needed.

These new photos were taken soon after my fifth HT when I went in for 3,000 grafts, and had my hair shaved down for the surgery.  Down the line I will make a post on that.

Edited by AB2000

Posted (edited)

It looks good. I'm in a similar situation and wondering what I can do with the nape area and the area just above my ears where there is hardly any hair anymore. I will certainly think about truing some arm hair at some point. You say you just had another 3000 grafts. Where were they taken from? I know you already had a lot of beard grafts and maybe chest grafts. How many body hair grafts are you up to now?

Edited by BeHappy

20 hours ago, BeHappy said:

It looks good. I'm in a similar situation and wondering what I can do with the nape area and the area just above my ears where there is hardly any hair anymore. I will certainly think about truing some arm hair at some point. You say you just had another 3000 grafts. Where were they taken from? I know you already had a lot of beard grafts and maybe chest grafts. How many body hair grafts are you up to now?

The last surgery consisted of donors from a variety of areas - beard, scalp, arm, chest and back.  If I go again then I have at least 2,500 more from the beard that I can use, as well as more body hair.  The useful donors from my chest are mostly used up, so if I go with more body hair then it will be from the arms and back.  At some point I need to find out the exact break out of graft sources for my different hair transplants, but in aggregate is approximately 13k right now.

Not all sources are equal, or course.  FUE grafts from the scalp cancontain multiple hairs, whereas something from my arm will only be a single.  Also, body hair behaves different in that it will grow for a shorter period and go dormant more often, so it's not going to have the same impact. My recommendation for those who want BHT is to find a surgeon who has a good tool for extracting them and a track record with patient photos.  Body hairs grow out more angled than ones from the head an transection is a real problem, so it's best to go with someone who has expertise.  There appear to be a handful of clinics who fit that bill.

How did the back graft extraction go? True and Dorin tried a test on my back, but it didn't go well. I think he did about 20 attempts and only got 4 or 5 good grafts. Plus he said it was really tearing the flesh apart and he was afraid to try more for such a low yield if it was going to leave bad scars there. I may eventually have them try again with a different punch tip. I think he used a straight tip rather than a flared one, but I'm not positive. So far I've had a little over 4600 body hair grafts total splitting it almost even between chest and beard. I'd love to be able to get near 10,000 if I can. We discussed the possibility of using arm hair if we get to the point of not being able to get any more chest or beard hair.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, BeHappy said:

How did the back graft extraction go? True and Dorin tried a test on my back, but it didn't go well. I think he did about 20 attempts and only got 4 or 5 good grafts. Plus he said it was really tearing the flesh apart and he was afraid to try more for such a low yield if it was going to leave bad scars there. I may eventually have them try again with a different punch tip. I think he used a straight tip rather than a flared one, but I'm not positive. So far I've had a little over 4600 body hair grafts total splitting it almost even between chest and beard. I'd love to be able to get near 10,000 if I can. We discussed the possibility of using arm hair if we get to the point of not being able to get any more chest or beard hair.

From what I can tell the grafts from the back went well, at least for the extraction process.  Down the line I will need to find out if these were placed somewhere specific in the recipient area to see how well they grow out, relative to other sources.  The appearance of the excision points appear larger than normal, but similar to those on my arm, from my last HT.  I expect these to heal similarly, in that that they take longer than those derived from the beard or head.  Even with past chest hair FUEs the scarring takes longer to heal up, weeks as I recall, for the red dots to disappear.

I don't know the reason why, but this past surgery was the one with the least amount of scabbing and crust.  The beard bounced back very fast and the scalp source and recipient areas only had small points of scabbing, barely any at all.  In previous HT's it took a number of days before all of it would heal enough and come off.  I wonder if it's the body becoming familiar with the "trauma" of this type procedure and not overreacting anymore.  I was beat up pretty good after the first HT.

The doctor says my back will yield 3,000 donor grafts in the future, so I take that to mean on his end of things he was able to get the grafts out safely.  The fact that the transplanted arm hair grew out was probably another good indicator that BHT will continue to work for me.

Edited by AB2000

19 hours ago, BeHappy said:

So far I've had a little over 4600 body hair grafts total splitting it almost even between chest and beard. 

Have you posted your results in a thread?

@AB2000 Thanks for sharing your results! Looks like you have covered really good on your head. Now obviously trying to increase the density further. 

From what l see from the pictures the BHT looks  really natural. They are a bit more curly compared to head hair, which at least to seems as your natural head hair also is curly? 
Seeing in real person, how natural do rate the BHT hairs, do you feel there is no or minor difference? Would be great to get your own assessment so far. 

thanks a lot! 

On 8/1/2020 at 4:03 PM, Baboon said:

@AB2000 Thanks for sharing your results! Looks like you have covered really good on your head. Now obviously trying to increase the density further. 

From what l see from the pictures the BHT looks  really natural. They are a bit more curly compared to head hair, which at least to seems as your natural head hair also is curly? 
Seeing in real person, how natural do rate the BHT hairs, do you feel there is no or minor difference? Would be great to get your own assessment so far. 

thanks a lot! 

I don't notice a difference in native and BHT hairs in the nape, these feel the same.  When I grow out my hair I can feel the difference between beard and scalp hairs in the regular recipient areas, with beard being more coarse.  Visually I don't think there is much of a difference as my hair is somewhat frizzy anyway.  Chest hairs on the head look similar to when they grow out on the chest, so these are useful when mixing them into regular grafts.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop through all these years. How many grafts total have you had and how much has the journey roughly costed?