My HT's with Dr. Umar - DermHair Clinic, L.A.

AB2000

Hi Ab,

Congratulations on the procedure my friend. It looks amazing! Great transformation, and I'm happy for you :)

I have my second procedure with Dr. Umar on February 5th of next year. He is nothing short of a miracle worker.

All the best.

Hi Ab,

Congratulations on the procedure my friend. It looks amazing! Great transformation, and I'm happy for you :)

I have my second procedure with Dr. Umar on February 5th of next year. He is nothing short of a miracle worker.

All the best.

I had another look at the DermHair clinic video. It broke down the amount and location of donor hair for your last procedure.

How many grafts did you have taken for your first four HT's? I'm curious to know how much your overall HT tally is for your result.

Hi AB,

That's a great question, and I'd be more than happy to give you the breakdown. However, being that I was victim to some these commercial and unethical clinics I can only take their numbers at face value.

Procedure 1: 1700 strip grafts

Procedure 2: 4000 alleged FUE grafts

Procedure 3: 2436 alleged FUE grafts

Procedure 4: 2100 alleged FUE grafts

Procedure 5 (Dr.Umar): 6500 FUE/BHT hybrid grafts

This brings the total close to 15,000 grafts. Procedures 3 and 4 were complimentary repairs by the doctor who did procedure 2. This indirectly acknowledges an unsuccessful procedure which is why I'm skeptical that I even had that amount of grafts extracted.

Thanks for the question. I look forward to making up the "wasted grafts" with Dr. Umar next year.

• 4 weeks later...

11 Months Post Op 2nd HT:

These are my most recent update photos. It's been a little over 11 months since I had a small HT procedure with Dr. Umar last May for 1,300 grafts. At that time density was added to my frontal region. No grafts were added to the crown or temples, nor was the hairline lowered.

I think I benefit from hair that grows somewhat frizzy and curly, and it can help fabricate the appearance of more density than there is. When I shower and my hair is wet the hairs group together in streaks, creating ruts of baldness and exposing the lack of hairs. I have not experimented with concealers since starting hair transplants, but from my previous experience I imagine they would help. I am just glad I am liberated from that daily routine.

The crown area is what it is. A work in progress. Decent recovery up front, but I am realistic in that I started as a Norwood 6. I now have coverage in this area, though I would like a lower hairline and the temple points made stronger.

20170502_201340_zps5ihjuotf.jpg

20170502_201409_zpsfg2twr0j.jpg

20170502_211305_zpstgplwx1i.jpg

20170502_201459_zps4cmwnq0n.jpg

20170502_201508_zpsgeelkuok.jpg

20170502_211257_zpsx58f6tvo.jpg

20170502_211439_zpsjayezn9s.jpg

20170502_211412_zps0vk3lc4h.jpg

20170502_211630_zpshrt9umqc.jpg

Will be going for the next HT this month, this time for a 4,000 graft procedure. Not much scalp donor left so most will be taken from the face. While not equivalent to scalp grafts, both are head derived hairs, and beard hair is better to mix in for now than body hair. Chest hair would be the last option to add density down the line.

My first HT had beard hair placed in the crown. As far as I can tell it's growing out as fast and as long as regular head hair. There is some difference in texture and appearance, but since I have scraggly type hair to begin with I am thinking it won't stand out as much as it does in other BHT patients. And when buzzed down I see no difference.

With what scalp donor FUE grafts I have left, this is my last shot at getting those into the front of my hairline.

Edited by AB2000

• 2 weeks later...

3rd HT - Day 1:

Recently I had my 3rd hair transplant at the DermHair clinic in Redondo Beach. I came about a year ago for a one day session to add frontal density, but this time it was for three days and 4,000 grafts.

Prior to coming to L.A. I had emailed Dr. Umar my hopes for this next round and to find out what we could achieve. To start off the first day he did an assessment and documented my results up to this point. Coming in I thought the best approach would be to front load head derived grafts up front, mostly beard hairs, and in the future fill in my crown with body hairs but he suggested maintaining a mix throughout across the regions to maintain a more realistic appearance.

He also indicated that the hair at the front of my hairline coming into this procedure appeared to be all transplanted hair. Meaning that the existing native hair has gone away at this point. If you look at my photos from the the day of the first hair transplant, before I began, there was diffuse hairs up front, and receded. The photos after the 1st HT where my hair is buzzed down looks good for coverage. But by my post op 2nd HT photos you can see some of the loss already. I don't know if this is shock loss or not. I've been using minoxidil for some years. But at some point balding hair will leave permanently.

The work, then, would be to lower my hairline somewhat, push the receding points downwards, and to fill in the crown. Grafts used were derived from the scalp, beard and some from the chest for the front of the hairline. There was more remaining scalp hairs than I had thought were left over from the last HT and I have a surprisingly large amount of beard hairs left over after these three days. I had a lot to begin with in this process. Going into this HT I thought my beard would be mostly gone.

I find the work done by Dr. Umar and his technicians to be non-rushed and thorough. The first day 1,000 FUE grafts were done, and 1,500 on each of the next two. Going with this clinic I am aiming to obtain quality over quantity.

For this first day, the frontal hairline was determined, and I was told that this part usually takes a bit longer.

20170508_201720_zpsun5vqnmc.jpg

20170508_201724_zps4nyo9mt0.jpg

20170508_201728_zpsj0yy6dlp.jpg

20170508_201854_zps7d0cbufz.jpg

20170508_202046_zpsjskhm0xx.jpg

Edited by AB2000

Hi AB,

Congrats on the procedure. It looks like some of the grafts were taken from the side of your cheek and not just under the jaw? Is this the case? Is that okay in terms of the risk of facial scarring? Seems like a choice between having facial hair and head hair?

Thanks,

Sod

Hi AB,

Congrats on the procedure. It looks like some of the grafts were taken from the side of your cheek and not just under the jaw? Is this the case? Is that okay in terms of the risk of facial scarring? Seems like a choice between having facial hair and head hair?

Thanks,

Sod

It heals pretty well for most people.I had some taken from side of face by Dr. Pradeep Sethi of Eugenix. It has healed without any scar. Some African Americans have tendency to have Keloid (exuberant scar tissue) so few test extractions might help in determining if that is the case.

My Thread: 

9 Day Post Op 3rd HT:

At this point the scabs are off and the healing well underway. The buzzed donor hair is growing back, whereas the transplanted grafts are held in place and should be falling out within a week. In my previous procedures, the transplanted hairs fall out about 10-14 days post op.

Minus the red inflammation, this is what my hairline should look like in about a year when the full yield is growing.

20170519_075248_zps7moskag8.jpg

20170519_075444_zpszy8wk03r.jpg

20170519_075448_zpsfx4acdf9.jpg

20170519_075517_zpsreu09rx2.jpg

9 Day Post Op 3rd HT:

At this point the scabs are off and the healing well underway. The buzzed donor hair is growing back, whereas the transplanted grafts are held in place and should be falling out within a week. In my previous procedures, the transplanted hairs fall out about 10-14 days post op.

And to speak of the devil, the hairs started to come out today. The DermHair clinic provides a bottle of liquid oil based 5% minoxidil and recommends buying three more for a four month supply. The idea is that oily minoxidil will better help the yield than using Rogaine foam or drops which will tend to dry out the skin.

I was rubbing some drops into my recipient areas tonight and saw some short hairs in my hands afterwards. It's going to be a long haul waiting for the results to grow back.

Hi AB,

Thanks,

Sod

Yes, having reached 9,900 grafts, some are going to need to come from other places. Those who've had BHT from the beard, I've read it's typically done around the mandible, where missing hairs are not as visible. In my past procedures I've have up to my chin area used, as I recall. I'd have to check my photos to see if any was taken from the cheeks before this.

Coming out of this 3rd procedure, I still have a lot of beard hair coverage. I tend to shave twice a week as my skin doesn't react well to having it done every day. The growth helps conceal whatever surgical work has been done. When grafts are taken, they are spread out, so it's effect is further camouflaged. When I'm freshly shaven I do notice the small points where the grafts have been removed, but people don't see this unless I point it out and ask if it's noticeable.

Having a higher norwood level, going down the route of using more beard hairs than typical was a trade off I had to weigh. If I'm happy with the yield on my scalp, then perhaps I don't need to use anymore beard donors in the future. It would be great to keep what beard I have left and to have good coverage up top.

I was told by Dr. Umar that I have about 4,000 grafts that I could use from my arms and about 2,000 from the chest and abdomen. Once my results are known I'll have to see what my needs are for uniform coverage. It takes a lot of hairs to fill in an empty crown area, so I'll see how far long this HT got me towards that.

• 4 weeks later...

6 Week Post Op 3rd HT:

I have passed through the phase of post-op where whatever transplanted hair that's going to fall out has done so. All in all, I think a decent amount stayed in place. Since I suffer from grey hairs in the temple area it's noticeable when the dark brown hairs that were added are still there. For me at least, one thing to keep in mind during recovery is that the recipient areas remain noticeably red. There is no hiding the fact that something happened in these areas and perhaps some people understand it's a hair transplant. I just go with it.

Now when I pick up some adult beverages after work now and then some cashiers are starting to ask for ID again. I think the effect would be better if I didn't have the grey, but it's hard to colour short cropped hair. For whatever reason I don't have wrinkles into my 40's and a full head of hair adds to the effect of a more youthful appearance.

Since both beard and chest hairs were a part of this most recent HT, it can reasonably take up to at least 12 months before the full results manifest. At this early stage, at least, no complaints.

20170624_192736_zpsadd1ag8j.jpg

20170624_192747_zpskuyhlna1.jpg

20170624_192824_zps5xgiqiye.jpg

20170624_192826_zpsrbey2ggp.jpg

20170624_192923_zpsvlx46t7z.jpg

20170624_201554_zpsoh5nchqt.jpg

20170624_201611_zpsvryaity2.jpg

• 8 months later...

So much for using Photobucket to host my images.

Are there any free hosting sites for large sized photos? I wouldn't have minded paying some money, but Photobucket was asking for something like $300 a year for paid membership, which I'm not doing. I want to help others with their decisions but I'm not that generous :-)

So much for using Photobucket to host my images.

Are there any free hosting sites for large sized photos? I wouldn't have minded paying some money, but Photobucket was asking for something like $300 a year for paid membership, which I'm not doing. I want to help others with their decisions but I'm not that generous :-)

can't you simply upload the pics directly into the forum?

can't you simply upload the pics directly into the forum?

I don't care much for looking at photos that people post directly for two reasons. First is that they load up slow, for me at least, and also the resolution needs to be kept low. Since I don't like the quality of the images posted here, I assume some others are the same way and would appreciate if I can post pictures that are hosted offsite with full resolution.

I don't care much for looking at photos that people post directly for two reasons. First is that they load up slow, for me at least, and also the resolution needs to be kept low. Since I don't like the quality of the images posted here, I assume some others are the same way and would appreciate if I can post pictures that are hosted offsite with full resolution.

fair enough.

do you think your beard hair gave you good coverage? how many grafts were used from body vs scalp?

do you think your beard hair gave you good coverage? how many grafts were used from body vs scalp?

After three FUE transplants, I'm north of 9,900 grafts. At this point I don't have the breakdown between the different donor areas.

Recently I had the chance to stop into the clinic as I was in Los Angeles and they took progress photos and video. This would be at about 10 months out from the last HT. The doctor seemed happy with the results and I am thinking that I could be used in one of the future video clips that the clinic periodically makes. If so I can add a link here. The Dermhair videos overlay information such as the amount of grafts and by beard/head/body breakdown.

For my results, I am fortunate in that my beard hair resembles in some way my course and curly scalp hair, so I think the two integrate well. Having hair that has "body" helps to add the appearance of there being more than there is. The only weak point would be the crown; though a lot of the grafts so far have wound up there, it really takes many to give the appearance of full coverage. I still have a good supply of beard donor, as well are more chest to use, so down the line I might have another 5,000 or so to get that full coverage.

Though I don't plan on being a concealer user again, for the heck of it I tried some hair fibers that I had from years ago when I used them. Quite surprising how well it works when you have coverage to apply the product on to. I'll try and get that posted.

I wanted to do another update even though all my earlier photos were blocked by Photobucket. Again if anyone knows of a free or cheap photo hosting site that does high resolution pics please post here or contact me, and I'll work on restarting this thread.

Currently I am 10 months out from my last hair transplant, the third at the DermHair clinic. Still some growth occuring at the front of the hairline. From my visit to the clinic a couple of weeks ago, I was told that transplants to the crown can take up to 15 months to fully manifest, so I'll see what the end result is in early Fall of this year.

I am at between 9,900 and 10,000 grafts. The following are pictures I took recently indoors with two glaring indoor light sources.

10 Month Post Op 3rd HT:

20180306_220003.thumb.jpg.2365a6b9d17fa87f14851a62f72b37d1.jpg

20180306_220027.thumb.jpg.e584032151a54c08cd3747b20f4ddea3.jpg

20180306_220143.thumb.jpg.93a49850585334f0485c09c13088db6d.jpg

20180306_220335.thumb.jpg.efc4ddd5709b239b1b48fb2174995e2e.jpg

Edited by AB2000