Should I Quit Finasteride? (side Effects?)

NeedSomeHelpBro

Hey y'all, I've been at a crossroads with my hair loss for a while now since a teenager. I'd love your guys opinion.

I'm 22 years old

Dealt with hair loss since I was about 17

Been on Finasteride and Rogaine since 17

For the most part finasteride and rogaine have been very good to me, I've never had super thick hair and it's never been super thin either. Since I was diagnosed with male pattern baldness it's been in the middle with the help of these products. I would say it's been great for my confidence to have hair, than be bald so it helped me alot. I turned 22 oct 2nd of this year and with my girlfriend I noticed my dick wasn't getting as hard as it usually did. Then as the days went on, I noticed I couldn't get it up to p*rn or even masterbating, and when I did it was always like barely hard but could bring me to orgasm. There were even days I tried to get it up and it wasn't going at all, which scared me very much. I've never had side effects other then zero morning wood and watery semen, but I always looked past that for hair. My question is clearly I'm guessing the lack of DHT is lowering my testosterone so much that I'm now dealing with side effects, sexually.. which scares me to death. I've been off Propecia since then for a couple of weeks and it's thankfully so much easier to get harder, no days where it hasn't work since I stopped. My semen is still watery but has more white in it then ever which I enjoy. My energy has gone up, I just feel overall better. I feel like finasteride has also made my dick smaller. If just doesn't look as big as it used to, maybe lack of blood flow.. not sure. It's not even close to 100% pre finasteride state but it's definitely the best it's been in a long time. But with improved penis function I've also noticed hairs in the front of my hairline shrinking.. and it's clearly from my male pattern baldness.. the hairs seem to be retuning to a receding state.. so now I'm stuck with.. do I keep using this drug and try to save the hair I still have with the risk of permanent sexual problems? Or quit and just live with what rogaine and regenpure shampoo can keep me? I worry these won't be enough to stop my male pattern baldness.. but I also can't live my life with sexual side effects. Id rather be healthy sexually then anything else.. what should I do? I wish this wasn't happening to me.. I just want to live a normal young mans life.. it's been very depressing watching my hair shrink but also I don't want to risk my sexual life.. help

Agreed, lower the dosage and frequency.

Most recently I was using .625mg (5mg Proscar cut into eighths) 2x week and I was still getting morning wood, and sperm quality was much better than when taking higher dose daily or 3x week.

You may have to stop a month or two and then restart later in order to get the current sides managed.

If you get the same exact sides after restarting at lower dose then I would stop.

Anyway be careful and good luck.

Also consult your doctor too !

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

hsrp10 said:
Agreed, lower the dosage and frequency.

Most recently I was using .625mg (5mg Proscar cut into fourths) 2x week and I was still getting morning wood, and sperm quality was much better than when taking higher dose daily or 3x week.

You may have to stop a month or two and then restart later in order to get the current sides managed.

If you get the same exact sides after restarting at lower dose then I would stop.

Anyway be careful and good luck.

Also consult your doctor too !

But will it be as effective as if I was taking it once a day? And what if the sides really come back.. I've been doing one a day for years now. What if I'm recovering but then starting again will make me way worse than before? I don't wanna lose my hair but I don't wanna put my dick at risk anymore.. how often should I take it? I've been off it for a couple of weeks, morning wood is random and doesn't last long really at all.. I still feel like things just aren't right. Erections are better but not fully hard hard. Idk what to do but I don't wanna be bald :(

It should be, if using 2-3 times a week but talk to your doctor about switching to lower dosage, including the situation about your current sides.

A person's overall and sexual health are more important than their hair ultimately.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

It should be, if using 2-3 times a week but talk to your doctor about switching to lower dosage, including the situation about your current sides.

A person's overall and sexual health are more important than their hair ultimately.

My doctor doesnt know about my finasteride use, so I have zero intention of bringing it up it's not even a concern for them. Should I do Monday Wednesday Friday? And has this helped you? Have you been in the same spot? How do I know this commitment will be worth it again? The only major sides I had taking it once a day was watery semen and harder to get erections as far as the last couple months.. not constantly but half the time. As far as the end of this year is where it's been it's worst which is why I quit. For years it wasn't as big of a issue for me or maybe I didn't notice it slowly getting worse

The thing with Fin is that everyone responds differently, also unfortunately some also end up with permanent sides.

All I can say is that lower dose for me continued to have a positive impact on my hair with reduced notice of sexual side effects. HLS2015 said the same about his sides.

go dense or go home

hsrp10 said:
The thing with Fin is that everyone responds differently, also unfortunately some also end up with permanent sides.

All I can say is that lower dose for me continued to have a positive impact on my hair with reduced notice of sexual side effects. HLS2015 said the same about his sides.

Did you get the same effects as me? Should I do Monday Wednesday Friday? Do you have perfect semen and erections now after making that change? So ur semen and erections after doing it this way have completely gone away? What are my chances of this getting worse vs better? I can't afford to have my sexual life taken away from me

When I first started finasteride years ago, I was quartering a 5mg tablet and taking it daily. At the time I suffered some side effects and experimented with a MWF schedule rather than stopping entirely. It seemed to work well for me.

I eventually quit entirely and restarted a few years later. I'm back to taking 1/4 tablet daily with no sides today.

I think it's a good idea to reduce your dosage before stopping completely. The results should be almost as good.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

When I first started finasteride years ago, I was quartering a 5mg tablet and taking it daily. At the time I suffered some side effects and experimented with a MWF schedule rather than stopping entirely. It seemed to work well for me.

I eventually quit entirely and restarted a few years later. I'm back to taking 1/4 tablet daily with no sides today.

I think it's a good idea to reduce your dosage before stopping completely. The results should be almost as good.

I didn't start and get sides I been taking it for years and got sides, does that matter? Do you think I should do MWF? Or should I take 1/4 tablet daily? Is 1/4 tablet just a regular one cut down the middle? I'd appreciate the feedback thanks

The thing with Fin is that everyone responds differently

Just going to quote the same thing said already.

For example no one ever said to me to try .625mg 2x week for the best results in my case.

I found it by trial and error. But I did read that lower doses could help with sides (incidentally in my case insomnia is another I suffer, and it also got better with lower and less frequent dosage)

1mg or lower M-W-F could be something to try but no guarantees as individual physiology plays a big part.

good luck and let us know how it goes

go dense or go home

The thing with Fin is that everyone responds differently

Just going to quote the same thing said already.

For example no one ever said to me to try .625mg 2x week for the best results in my case.

I found it by trial and error. But I did read that lower doses could help with sides (incidentally in my case insomnia is another I suffer, and it also got better with lower and less frequent dosage)

1mg or lower M-W-F could be something to try but no guarantees as individual physiology plays a big part.

good luck and let us know how it goes

So should I start today? The only side effects I ever had since ever starting finasteride besides the recent erection ones is the extremely watery semen.. And I only have 1 mg tablets... should I cut that in half? Or should I just do M W F 1 mg? I know everyone reacts differently but what do you recommend I do? I feel like I need guidance I'm very lost on what I should try and not try.

Edited by NeedSomeHelpBro

You've received a lot of valuable input here and I agree with much of what's been said. There's no exact formula that works for everyone, so unfortunately, a little trial and error is going to be your best bet. You could try taking the 1 mg MWF or cut them in half and take a half a tablet daily. Either of those would be a good starting point.

And one thing that I think is important to keep in mind concerning potential side effects is to try and mindlessly take the pill as if it were a vitamin and don't give it a second thought. I found that for me personally, the more vigilant and "on guard" I was for any possible side effects, the more I found myself experiencing what I thought were sides. But in truth, I truly believe I was simply giving more attention and credence to otherwise normal occurrences and painting them out to be something that they weren't....

It's human to fall into this trap... And then we get stressed out, and when we're stressed out our "equipment" doesn't work like it should, and then instead of attributing the malfunction to the stress, we attribute it to the drug and stop taking it altogether. I'm not saying that side effects aren't real - because they certainly, certainly are - but I know from personal experience (and from what I know of the scientific world) that the placebo effect and power of suggestion are both very real as well. Just something to think about and consider, and I really hope you have success with it with no more hiccups. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

You've received a lot of valuable input here and I agree with much of what's been said. There's no exact formula that works for everyone, so unfortunately, a little trial and error is going to be your best bet. You could try taking the 1 mg MWF or cut them in half and take a half a tablet daily. Either of those would be a good starting point.

And one thing that I think is important to keep in mind concerning potential side effects is to try and mindlessly take the pill as if it were a vitamin and don't give it a second thought. I found that for me personally, the more vigilant and "on guard" I was for any possible side effects, the more I found myself experiencing what I thought were sides. But in truth, I truly believe I was simply giving more attention and credence to otherwise normal occurrences and painting them out to be something that they weren't....

It's human to fall into this trap... And then we get stressed out, and when we're stressed out our "equipment" doesn't work like it should, and then instead of attributing the malfunction to the stress, we attribute it to the drug and stop taking it altogether. I'm not saying that side effects aren't real - because they certainly, certainly are - but I know from personal experience (and from what I know of the scientific world) that the placebo effect and power of suggestion are both very real as well. Just something to think about and consider, and I really hope you have success with it with no more hiccups. :)

I know the side effects were definitely real, thinking about it or not had nothing to do with it. Yes it can play a part but I'm positive it wasn't my thinking. My thinking happened after I experienced these things, and even before the erection problems the watery semen was always there forever. Surprised nobody's bringing that up and how bad that looks.. interesting, anyway.. you said 1 mg m w f or half would be a good starting point. But which one should I have as a start? I can't try both at once.. what do you recommend? I'd appreciate the help

I got the same side effects after 5 years of usage. Had to stop using Propecia entirely, and even now I think I'm still facing some long term side effects. I've since switched to another hair care regime, based on herbal extracts (http://www.cosmetology.com.my). Seems to be working well so far.

Will this actually help me out? I've yet to receive any good input on what I should do and that

Terrifies me.. my whole future is at stake

Why not try Liposomal Topical Finasteride from H&W??

According to Milan study, VERY little of it goes systemic.

How accurate is this study? And why have people not heard of this? Lol because if this is the simple solution why are millions of men suffering from finasteride.. and Milan study? Aren't there studys of propecia hat are also bs? And how little is systematic? Will I not have side effects? Will my dick go back to normal?

How accurate is this study? And why have people not heard of this? Lol because if this is the simple solution why are millions of men suffering from finasteride.. and Milan study? Aren't there studys of propecia hat are also bs? And how little is systematic? Will I not have side effects? Will my dick go back to normal?

https://hassonandwong.com/topical-finasteride-solution-prescription/ Link to study..link to form to get script.

I personally know a guy who has every imaginable side effect on oral fin, at any dosage... but switched to 0.5% per 1ml of this liposomal topical fin and he has ZERO sides now, zero point zero.

A little math..

1ml at 2.5% of h&w = 1/18 of 1mg oral = 0.056mg fin serum levels (just to keep this in perspective, 2.5% means 25mg of finasteride per 1ml dosage!)

1ml at 0.5% = 0.011mg fin serum levels

1ml at 0.3% (which I've ordered) = 0.007mg fin serum levels

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18161632

Why don't know more about it? beats me... it's not available in the USA currently though. Some men, still DO get sides but its def less than oral..

Studies also show, applying fin topically inhibits more scalp DHT than oral dosage at the same dosage.

https://hassonandwong.com/topical-finasteride-solution-prescription/ Link to study..link to form to get script.

I personally know a guy who has every imaginable side effect on oral fin, at any dosage... but switched to 0.5% per 1ml of this liposomal topical fin and he has ZERO sides now, zero point zero.

A little math..

1ml at 2.5% of h&w = 1/18 of 1mg oral = 0.056mg fin serum levels (just to keep this in perspective, 2.5% means 25mg of finasteride per 1ml dosage!)

1ml at 0.5% = 0.011mg fin serum levels

1ml at 0.3% (which I've ordered) = 0.007mg fin serum levels

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18161632

Why don't know more about it? beats me... it's not available in the USA currently though. Some men, still DO get sides but its def less than oral..

Studies also show, applying fin topically inhibits more scalp DHT than oral dosage at the same dosage.

So... will this solve my issue and save my hair? Also.. how can a fella like me get my hands on this? I'm only 22 and very unfamiliar with studies and how to obtain things like this.. I just don't want to put my wang at risk anymore.. it's bad enough. I need to be sure this will work.. help?

So... will this solve my issue and save my hair? Also.. how can a fella like me get my hands on this? I'm only 22 and very unfamiliar with studies and how to obtain things like this.. I just don't want to put my wang at risk anymore.. it's bad enough. I need to be sure this will work.. help?

What country are you in? If you're in Canada or Europe you can obtain it here: https://hassonandwong.com/topical-finasteride-solution-prescription/

How To Get A Prescription

If you’re located in Canada, please complete the following steps in order to obtain a prescription:

1-Print out the prescription form

2-Take the form to your doctor

3-Have your doctor complete the form

4-Have your doctor fax the form to the fax number on the form

It should give less sides than oral fin, ideally no sides at all.

What country are you in? If you're in Canada or Europe you can obtain it here: https://hassonandwong.com/topical-finasteride-solution-prescription/

How To Get A Prescription

If you’re located in Canada, please complete the following steps in order to obtain a prescription:

1-Print out the prescription form

2-Take the form to your doctor

3-Have your doctor complete the form

4-Have your doctor fax the form to the fax number on the form

It should give less sides than oral fin, ideally no sides at all.

Yeah see I'm in the USA, that's the problem.. and ideally? Will it make my previous sides go away? Or make them potentially worse? And what do I just not take propecia anymore.. idk how to help myself at his point

Yeah see I'm in the USA, that's the problem.. and ideally? Will it make my previous sides go away? Or make them potentially worse? And what do I just not take propecia anymore.. idk how to help myself at his point

If your sides are too much you need to stop taking propecia, period.

If your sides are too much you need to stop taking propecia, period.

Yeah but.. it's so hard to just allow all my hair to just go.. 5 years of being on this pill to just lose it all? Man is life sure unfair.. ? Why can't there be a better solution.. it's 2017.. why are there zero cures for this nonsense

Thanks for making this post and for the contributions made. It's really important to balance things and sexual health is at the centre of being a guy.

I've been back on fin for 7 months now, my hair is looking much better with improved thickness and regrowth. But lately I've noticed my libido is all over the place with similar symptoms described in here. Porn can get my horny, can't maintain an erection and dick feeling limp most of the time.

I'm gonna cut back my dosage and hopefully things will improve.

It's absolutely gutting to see results on your head but on the flip side, things down below just get totally messed up. These side effects are horrendous!! :(:mad:

Thanks for making this post and for the contributions made. It's really important to balance things and sexual health is at the centre of being a guy.

I've been back on fin for 7 months now, my hair is looking much better with improved thickness and regrowth. But lately I've noticed my libido is all over the place with similar symptoms described in here. Porn can get my horny, can't maintain an erection and dick feeling limp most of the time.

I'm gonna cut back my dosage and hopefully things will improve.

It's absolutely gutting to see results on your head but on the flip side, things down below just get totally messed up. These side effects are horrendous!! :(:mad:

I feel you brotha, I've been on this pill for 5 years with just watery semen and no morning erections but the past couple of months it's almost like I woke up one day and realized like I really am causing myself damage to my lower half.. none of this makes sense to me and it kills me. All I want is a libido and hair but it seems like with this pill you don't get to have both.. ironic how you take it to basically get laid and then you can't.. but hey at least you have hair rignt? It's crushing me but I can't willingly take this pill anymore and allow myself to be this way.. a happy life is more important than hair when it gets to this point.. I want a fix just as bad as you idk why I can't just be lucky for once instead of unlucky. This has ruined me