FUE transplant minor meltdown: Help appreciated

I’ve been a long-time reader and researcher of this and other forums. I have an FUE session schedule in two weeks and I’m feeling absolute terror about it. The vast majority of the time I’ve been seriously considering it (2+ years) I want to do it, so I can’t tell if it’s cold feet or genuine concerns. Any honest feedback would be greatly helpful.

Info

-I’m 32 (with a couple thin-haired uncles but nobody up to my grandparents is fully bald)

-I’m scheduled for a 1600 graft FUE session with a well-respected surgeon in NYC. I trust his expertise and that he’ll do a good job.

-I've attached the proposed outline. I’m considering requesting something even more conservative, not extending it much at all, just thickening and reinforcing it for the coming years.

-One issue is that I can’t take Propecia on a long-term basis, due some medical concerns. I realize I may need another FUE session a few years down the line.

Pros

-Potential of a really stable, comfortable hairline for a long time.

-I already paid $5k deposit (but a small price to pay for avoiding a bad thing, if thats the case)

Cons

-Shock loss will leave my hair in an instantly worse condition.

-The progressive recession of native hair will look bad/artificial or worse. (Note: I haven’t noticed thinning of the crown, but if I do lose the top, I’d be comfortable with a bald crown and stable hairline.)

Given how conservative I’m planning this, with the highest density possible, is it a foolish to think a single Propecia-free transplant will improve my hairline?

I’ll post more images below, dry and wet.

Many many thanks.

DB28A710-6000-47EE-9345-243AF8EC76A1.jpg.198fbef255796db1412ef412e6404ed0.jpg

IMG_0064-2.jpg.b8a447d16030675cf7b0c542118ce080.jpg

692E09ED-7964-43A4-845A-F291F65E48AB.jpg.099c23560fa59bfb8eadd93008ee43a1.jpg

5b32f0d7ce5dc_FullSizeRender3.thumb.jpg.3968d3471649d10691e70c1a6fcaa0a3.jpg

5b32f0d7e37f9_FullSizeRender2.thumb.jpg.608fa8c0403b85b3056b3fbc368f0408.jpg

Hope it works out for you and can understand the cold feet part.

I've had incrementally smaller procedures over the years and am planning to have my "last procedure" sometime next year and since it's my last I'm having various cold feet type of thoughts for the first time.

I don't think 1,600 grafts is all that many and since you haven't had your procedure you still have a chance to go higher. But if you stick with the area in the picture it may be enough.

I had a 1,500 graft procedure few years ago into existing/transplanted hair and you can see the area of coverage here:

Are these typical results? - Page 2 - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

Who is your doctor btw?

And are you going to shave the recipient area to help avoid shockloss? There are three things you can do to avoid shock loss (1) choose an elite surgeon who uses a refined and proven technique to transplant into existing hair (2) shave down the recipient area to make it easier for the surgeon and (3) take Fin (which you've already stated you cannot do).

Also I can't tell how thick your hair caliber is from pics alone, but in my experience if you have fine hair you should aim for 60 grafts/cm2 in the front 2cm of the hairline to avoid the see-through look, especially if you're not going to be taking Fin.

*This will boost the required overall graft count.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

It sounds to me like you have very realistic expectations for a conservative procedure. However, without the possibility of taking finasteride, you'll likely need another procedure sooner than later. The good news is that you'll likely have plenty of donor to address future hair loss.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Just my own opinion, but have you done enough research? Reason I ask is that there really aren't that many solid FUE surgeons in New York. Feller won't touch it, and the only other surgeon in NY worth a look for FUE is Dr Wesley. If it's Wesley, Bernstein, or Dorin, then I assume they are charging you upwards of $9/10 a graft. That is vey expensive. You do realize there are even better FUE surgeons in Belgium Spain and Turkey that cost less?

Finally, 1600 grafts isn't nearly enough grafts. With shock los, I don't anticipate a signing ficant aesthetic improvement. Just my own opinion

WISE WORDS from mav23100gunther! Listen to him.

1600 grafts? You will want more in the long run. That hairline design is the most conservative one i've ever seen lol It's like what's the point in getting a transplant when your just doing that tiny amount. At 32 your donor hair is looking pretty good.

Also your $5000 deposit is $1000 more than i paid for my entire 2000 grafts procedure :-o

Just my own opinion, but have you done enough research? Reason I ask is that there really aren't that many solid FUE surgeons in New York. Feller won't touch it, and the only other surgeon in NY worth a look for FUE is Dr Wesley. If it's Wesley, Bernstein, or Dorin, then I assume they are charging you upwards of $9/10 a graft. That is vey expensive. You do realize there are even better FUE surgeons in Belgium Spain and Turkey that cost less?

Finally, 1600 grafts isn't nearly enough grafts. With shock los, I don't anticipate a signing ficant aesthetic improvement. Just my own opinion

Yes, it's Dr Wesley. I did do research and have been impressed with his professionalism and the results I've seen. I also understand he's on the high side of price, but I'm sure you can sense my apprehension, so I'm committed to getting the best possible procedure I can find.

That said, price aside, why do you consider those international surgeons better? How best can I compare their outcomes?

Thanks.

This is only my opinion, you will be dissatisfied with a 1600 graft procedure even if it's a home run result with little to no transgression. Why? Cuz that area needs about 3000 grafts.

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Yes, it's Dr Wesley. I did do research and have been impressed with his professionalism and the results I've seen. I also understand he's on the high side of price, but I'm sure you can sense my apprehension, so I'm committed to getting the best possible procedure I can find.

That said, price aside, why do you consider those international surgeons better? How best can I compare their outcomes?

Thanks.

I consulted with Dr Wesley myself, and though he was the best consultation experience I had. Extremely extremely informative. I really liked him, and he has posted some very good results on this forum. Like you I also live in New York, however, my research lead me to travel to Canada for my latest procedure. Granted it was FUT, but if I was getting FUE, then I would definitely travel again. There just aren't that many patient posted results of Dr Wesley. If it were me, I would also consult with Dr Lorenzo, Feriduni, Erdogan, Bisanga, Ron Shapiro, and Konior for FUE. These seem to be the most renowned FUE surgeons out there.

Sounds like your gut is talking to you - listen to it mate

lots of good advice here , esp the list of surgeons listed by mav3gunther here

Only disagreement i have with some other comments maybe --- I actually think 1600 is plenty of grafts for a decent hairline if placed properly . And my 2004 hairline transplant w Ron Shapiro was worth every penny -- as it has stood the test of time (12 years and running) and saved me enough donor hair for subsequent transplants on other parts of the scalp as my diffuse NW6 thinning continued to progress further.

Besides the number of grafts , it is also matters a lot how they are placed to create that optical effect of more density . A lot here also depends on the coarseness of your donor - the coarser, the better .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

I'm no expert, just another person in the market like yourself, but if I lived in NYC I would go with Wesley. I've consulted with him too. I think his pics look great. He seems to care about his online reputation. A lot of the cheaper acclaimed FUE guys overseas aren't really THAT much cheaper once you add travel costs. And a lot of them have at least a couple bad results out there mixed in with their terrific results. I haven't seen an all-out bad result from Wesley yet, though I have noticed some resistance to him on this forum among the veterans who have never been to him. Just my .02

A lot of good points have been raised here to give you some food for thought. I agree that 1600 grafts seems like a low number, even by conservative standards. That said, if you're really just wanting to restore the hairline and make it more solid, it may be enough to make you happy. After all, a huge component of a "successful" hair transplant are the expectations the patient has going into it. You seem to have solid reasons for the decisions you're making and the route you're choosing, even if it may be a different approach than most people would take. Personally, I like the idea of erring on the side of being more conservative, especially if you're feeling particularly cautious. Having the guidance of a respected surgeon should also put your mind at ease.

Listening to your gut is always the best thing you can do, but it's often hard to tell if what you're experiencing is your gut is telling you to back out or if it's simply a normal case of nerves and cold feet (which are completely normal). I was second guessing myself a lot leading up to my procedure and came very close to backing out several times, but with some serious contemplation realized those were my nerves talking, not my gut, so I thankfully proceeded with the procedure. Figuring out which of the two you're experiencing is something only you can do.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56