baldlivesmatter transplant experience with Dr. Jim Harris

I bet you have more than 6000 grafts at your disposal. I have 7k in my frontal third alone, but i did strip and not FUE, which does change the amount that can be yielded from the donor typically.

You're right Speegs as it turned out I did have above average donor. When I was doing my consults I wasn't really banking on that and given the 6k-8k average available grafts quoted on various threads I figured 6k was conservative for planning purposes. I was told I have very good donor so hopefully I'm closer to 8k.

Can't believe you have 7k grafts on a nw3a. That must look great!

You're right Speegs as it turned out I did have above average donor. When I was doing my consults I wasn't really banking on that and given the 6k-8k average available grafts quoted on various threads I figured 6k was conservative for planning purposes. I was told I have very good donor so hopefully I'm closer to 8k.

Can't believe you have 7k grafts on a nw3a. That must look great!

I'm right at 9 months post op of round three, and the change has been subtle and awesome.

Because of the gradual pace of the transition my own parents don't know what I've done, they think it's all propecia.

I'm 33 and people think I'm 25 or 26, in no small part because of how I can wear my hair now...and I looked 35 when I didn't wear a hat at 26, so it's an interesting role reversal.

Dr. Gabel and I are both eager to see the final result in a few months, we think it may be among the most complete cosmetic hair restorations either of us have ever seen.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

It should be all uphill from now.

From my experience, even I experienced less growth behind the hairline as compared to the hairline grafts. Maybe the experts can clarify the science behind that.

I also just completed my 4 months.

You should be seeing the grafts showering in soon :)

Happy growing

From my experience, even I experienced less growth behind the hairline as compared to the hairline grafts. Maybe the experts can clarify the science behind that.

Happy growing

There's greater blood flow and thus circulation to feed blood supply to the grafts in the frontal portion of the scalp.

I'm 33 and people think I'm 25 or 26, in no small part because of how I can wear my hair now...and I looked 35 when I didn't wear a hat at 26, so it's an interesting role reversal.

You found the fountain of youth! Congratulations! Do you have your own thread on here? If so, would you mind throwing up a link? I've heard Gabel has fantastic results and would like to see your results on the hairline.

Exciting times starts

Thanks Rawkerboi!

I was a little down today as I watched HTSoon's (who posted earlier in this thread) results video on youtube and was thinking there's no way mine will look that good at 5 months. Had me a little worried as I'm post four months and it still looks like shit. Gotta stay positive though.

Link to the aforementioned youtube video:

Happy growing

Hey Vermaj!

Good to hear from you again. Yes, we had our procedures around the same time and seem to have similar growth patterns. Hopefully we both get spectacular results!

Regarding the hairline grafts growing faster than the other grafts, my initial thought was that since the hairline is the most important area for the aesthetic results of the procedure the doctor/techs likely pay extra attention when implanting those grafts. That being said, Speegs' earlier explanation sounds more scientific so he's probably right.

You found the fountain of youth! Congratulations! Do you have your own thread on here? If so, would you mind throwing up a link? I've heard Gabel has fantastic results and would like to see your results on the hairline.
Please PM me and i'll give you my email, I'm shy about my privacy on these forums, but will gladly share in private.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm at 5 months post op so snapped a few pics.

I'm noticing more sprouts than at 4 months. Obviously still not enough to grow out (hence the buzz cut) but encouraging nonetheless. The sprouts somewhat frame my face which is good, but still very sparse.

I think the most encouraging part at this point is that I can shave my head down to 1 MM without my scars being noticeable. Scarring was a big concern of mine pre-op but to the untrained eye my scars are unnoticeable even at such a short length.

I think i'm a slow grower, which isn't ideal, but hopefully there's a lot more growth to come in the next 6 months.

1.jpg.206e5b43c995bae910f61d381f466e53.jpg

2.jpg.0b66449106cad414c237f61e12ae4506.jpg

3.jpg.b5a451e1ab516370faf414bb5005fc2f.jpg

4.jpg.03c6864642f0d1ca06d59b87f558336f.jpg

5.jpg.35adecf0e0dd3e1b41cecb86e3a6ee18.jpg

Hi all,

I'm at 5 months post op so snapped a few pics.

I'm noticing more sprouts than at 4 months. Obviously still not enough to grow out (hence the buzz cut) but encouraging nonetheless. The sprouts somewhat frame my face which is good, but still very sparse.

I think the most encouraging part at this point is that I can shave my head down to 1 MM without my scars being noticeable. Scarring was a big concern of mine pre-op but to the untrained eye my scars are unnoticeable even at such a short length.

I think i'm a slow grower, which isn't ideal, but hopefully there's a lot more growth to come in the next 6 months.

Hey Baldslivematter,

Are you in finasteride ? Sorry if I missed this in your previous statements.

I think you are a slow grower but everybody has a different hair cycle phase.

You should wait for next month to come and start noticing the fun.

I know the wait is hard, and I am experiencing that myself. But maybe worth the effort.

Keep updating.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

There is still a (low) possibility of substantial growth to come, Dr. Feller mentions a result in one of his vids where the vast majority started at around month 9.

To be honest you used a very small amount of grafts considering the area covered. There was very little margin for error. In my humble opinion Konior's graft quote for you seems more on the money, and the truth is his FUE work is stronger.

• Like 1

Stil waiting for more growth...

To be honest, I'd say this is "good progress." 1779 grafts over that amount of space: this is going to probably be a "decent outcome" but "poor coverage" due to planning. Or if not planning, which involves the doc, then expectations?? Dunno.

I had 3185 grafts over the same area and STILL went back for a touch up even though almost every single one of my 3185 grafts appeared (very subjective, I know) to have grown.

Of course, I'm much older than you (42 now), so don't take my post as a suggestion that you should blast your frontal third with 4300 grafts as I have, lol

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

• Administrators

BLM, I suggest letting your hair grow out at this point, not everyone grows at the same rate, 6 months is still early and I don't think that more growth is a low possibility, I think more growth is what WILL occur just be patient happy growing:D

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Looking at another's progress can be very depressing because the reality is, not everyone grows at the same rate. 6 months is still early and for slow growers, which you very well may be, the majority of their growth occur after this stage. In the meantime, try not to panic and just wait it out until 12 months when everyhing grows in.

Best wishes,

Bill

There is still a (low) possibility of substantial growth to come, Dr. Feller mentions a result in one of his vids where the vast majority started at around month 9.

To be honest you used a very small amount of grafts considering the area covered. There was very little margin for error. In my humble opinion Konior's graft quote for you seems more on the money, and the truth is his FUE work is stronger.

I appreciate the candor. One of the things I love about this forum (as opposed to the Polyanna sly guys forum where everyone "looks great!!!1") is that users don't hold back when they think growth is bad.

BLM, I suggest letting your hair grow out at this point, not everyone grows at the same rate, 6 months is still early and I don't think that more growth is a low possibility, I think more growth is what WILL occur just be patient happy growing:D

Thanks HTsoon. I was planning to leave buzzed at 1mm until the gaps between grafts close a bit more before growing it out. Perhaps i'll try growing it out now and sprinkling a bit of Toppik in.

Looking at another's progress can be very depressing because the reality is, not everyone grows at the same rate. 6 months is still early and for slow growers, which you very well may be, the majority of their growth occur after this stage. In the meantime, try not to panic and just wait it out until 12 months when everyhing grows in.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill! Tbh I wasn't really panicking until reading through all the responses on here saying that my growth is bad lol. All joking aside, I think it will turn out fine -- I just want it to happen a little faster.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey baldlivesmatter,

I completely agree with HLS2015, you need to start hitting the phone to the doctor. I think the grafts in this case clearly did not survive. The "patience" card is not playing here and it is extremely rare.

I seriously wish that I am wrong and your grafts grow but you need to be at par with the clinic now.

I am really sorry and I know the pain of something going wrong in terms of HT and it is a big clusterf**k.

I hope you get your refund and then get your growth as well from someone more genuine.

Good luck

You are right the there is only small hope for a great outcome, but, come on, this was hardly a mega session. Actually it might have been too few grafts from begin with.
If the result from this clinic is undesirable, the less grafts they burned the better.

baldlivesmatter,

While I agree that you are behind the curve and it's prudent to begin discussing your concerns with Dr. Harris, I would also urge you to not succumb to the doom-and-gloomers. Slow growth is real. I was a slow grower with my first transplant. You can see my 7 month results here. Thought the final results of my first HT were not what I'd hoped for, I saw significant growth from 8 to 10 months and beyond.

There is a reason why all clinics insist that patients wait at least 12 months and, despite what HLS2015 may believe, it is not to provide false hope and waste time.

HLS2015,

This is an utterly false and malicious statement. Our public record (try using the search feature) clearly shows that we often work to facilitate communication between patents and physicians and address patient concerns. We are, first and foremost, patient advocates.

With such a low opinion of how we run this community, it's a wonder why you choose to continue participating.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website