Drugs really necessary AFTER operation?

kam

I've seen in some blogs that some says that it's very important to take some drugs regularly AFTER having a hair restoration operation done (Propecia or finasteride?) That to prevent further balding.

What's your opinion of this?

If that's the case I'm not that keen on doing the operation really. Don't feel ok with going on some sort of "medicine" for years.

K

To use Finesteride or not post HT depends on your age and whether your hair loss has been stable or not.

Hair loss due to DHT can happen till late 40s unless you have lost what you were supposed to lose.

However if your hair loss has been stable for years then you can have your HT without taking above medication as the hair on the back and sides of the head are by enlarge resistant to DHT loss.

All the best

sultsay

Hi and thanks for your tips..

Well. .yes I'd say "pretty stable".. just passed 40 .. got really thick hair on the sides and back.. so I'd say no problem on "donor" zone. Still slowly loosing other areas.. crown + vertex.. but it's nothing dramatically new for sure.

Just in doubt of going "bold look" (not good with the strong sun hitting my head). Or of getting the operation done.. yes... I do understand that at some point one might wish to add more.

But doing the drugs regularly is a no no for me.

K

As Sultsay mentions , depends on age and level present and future hair loss .

I was going to take proscar ( Fin ) post-op , but decided against it .

As long as you're mindful of possible future loss , and plan accordingly , you should be good . If you do a HT , make sure you keep some in the bank for future procedures if required .

As already mentioned it depends on your age and how aggressive your male pattern baldness/diffuse thinning is.

Also hair caliber will have an impact on your results (fine, average or coarse).

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Taking medication and doing a transplant are two separate questions but the answers overlap. A transplant moves hair to a location where you don't have any. It does not change your genetics or cure male pattern balding. Medication does not cure male pattern balding. Medication inhibits future loss of EXISTING native hair. You can do a transplant and never take anything but you take a risk of losing that non transplanted hair. Hair loss does not stop in the 40's or 50's. It is lifelong and totally dependent on the genetic code you inherited. PRP can play a role in rejuvenating miniaturized hair. besides oral meds there are topicals such as minoxidil that can stimulate growth but have no impact on DHT. Caffeine might help (not coffee mind you!) ketaconazole and perhaps some supplements. All of these are smaller parts of that equation.......

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

Agree with some of the points made above.

The genetic code does play the most important role in terms of the extent and pattern of male baldness.

We see millions of men with androgenic alopecia, they never go totally bald( alopecia universalise), which means the hair loss does stop at a certain age. Again this stopping of hair loss may not be age dependent, but those parts of head which maintain hair is resistant to DHT.

Here we are not discussing the cure for MPB, just trying to find out whether taking meds boost and give a better result post HT.

sultsay

Androgentic Alopecia or male pattern balding is genetic. Alopecia Universalis is an autoimmune issue and not at all the same thing. Genetics determine how much of the AGA gene you have inherited. And with Universalis it is a medical condition that does not respond to the same kinds of treatments. Universalis means the lack of all hair, anywhere on the body. AGA only impacts certain areas of the scalp. AGA deals with how bald on the Norwood scale for men you will go. Universalis is incurable but in some cases treatable condition that impacts all hair.

Taking medication that inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT does inhibit loss of hair genetically marked to respond to DHT. It is not a cure it is a treatment for this non transplanted hair. It has no impact on transplanted hair. Transplanted hair comes for an area on the scalp that is resistant to DHT. This area can have some mild thinning in most situations and as the patient becomes older hair can thin. That lovely event is called Senile Alopecia! The word Alopecia simply means hair loss, not the root cause of the loss.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

Hair loss medication such as Propecia and Rogaine can help to slow down the progression of male pattern baldness. It is not necessary for surgery but since hair transplantation does nothing to stop or slow hair loss, these medications can work in conjunction with your procedure so that you don't just replace natural hair with transplanted hair. With hair loss medication, you may just hold onto more of your natural hair so you don't need as much surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

I was never a meds person but i started to take fin for 1 year when my hair loss was most then i read an article which basically said meds are no long term fix so i stopped.

Some 10 years later my hair loss continued to the point i could see myself going bald like nw7.

I then started min and saw alot of difference regrowth in the crown after about 3months. I then added half a tablet of fin and after about 2 months saw alot of thickness to my hair and my hair has never looked better adding on the supplements i can see alot of benefit and difference.

So when i look in the mirror at least I’m not totally bald and have hair which i'm looking after as best i can, i mean some is better than none. I was told had i not taken fin for that 1 year when my haair loss was most i would have been nw7 by now.

If you respond to meds well they can slow things down alot...as for genetics and future then i dont know but if my genectic code is nw7 then shall i not do anything?

I hope i can improve it further by having a ht...

• 1 year later...
On 12/23/2016 at 2:29 AM, Rashid36 said:

I then started min and saw alot of difference regrowth in the crown after about 3months. I then added half a tablet of fin and after about 2 months saw alot of thickness to my hair and my hair has never looked better adding on the supplements i can see alot of benefit and difference.

You mean 0.5 mg? I never took finasteride before but I could consider such a small dose, if effective...