spex

I'm changing from Finasteride and upping the juice to Dutasteride

So the time has come after nearly 17 years on 1mg finasteride daily to up the anti and I'm going to start now taking 0.5mg Dutasteride daily instead as i feel I've possibly now started to lose ground in the crown region do to the attack of DHT.

Ive had an incredible run with finasteride as it regrew and helped keep my mid/crown for nearly two decades but after monitoring my crown for a couple of years now i feel it is time to get ahead of the game and increase my defence against the dreaded DHT.

I've spoken at length with prescribing Dr too here in the UK and he's been very helpful and informative. I've also spoken to a number of guys who've made this move from finasteride to Dutasteride who've had positive results so feel this is an informed move and one I'm hopeful will benefit me. After 17 years too on finasteride with no side effects I'm also hopeful i'll transition on to it with no issues either.

I will keep you informed periodically on any progress and i'll be making a documented blog on my website too.

Regards

Spex

unnamed-7_zps75jcn9e9.jpg

Thanks for the update and I'm very keen to see how you get on. I bought some DUT a while back but never used it. I mentioned before that I I had a consultation with Feriduni and I mentioned to him I was thinking of taking DUT once a week and he was shocked. He explained that some studies suggest the effects on sperm and ability to have children may be compromised with DUT. He told me not to do it unless I had decided to never have children.

Have you asked him about this. If his opinion on this has changed I would be very keen to start myself as I'm losing ground on FIN.

I did however have other consultations with other doctors and mentioned DUT and none said anything like that so I don't know.

Hi,

I've not spoken to Dr Feriduni on the subject. I have however spoken with many guys who have conceived children on Dutasteride with no issues over the years.

I personally fathered my twins at first attempt on finasteride after being on it 9-10 years no issues at all but there is all sorts of discussion of finasteride affecting fertility too.

Hope this helps

Spex

Be careful of the sides Spex (though I'm sure I don't have to warn you about those).

Some say they can be stronger than Fin and more chances of being permanent in the case of Dut.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks for the comments. I am aware of the possible side effects but after being on finasterdie 17 years with no side effects at all I'm hopeful i'll be ok. I will certainly monitor things and report back on here.

Regards

Spex

Thanks for the comments. I am aware of the possible side effects but after being on finasterdie 17 years with no side effects at all I'm hopeful i'll be ok. I will certainly monitor things and report back on here.

Regards

Spex

Given the recent Japanese clinical trials for Dut and you making this announcement, I am now thinking of doing it myself. I was thinking of starting on a lower dose though (in conjuction with fin) and gradually increasing it.

Ive never had sides on FIN either so Im quietly confident but also cautious. Very keen to see how you get on.

Also one other question... Did you ever up your dose of FIN?

I had a couple of consultations a few years back and 2 doctors mentioned the idea of doubling my dose of FIN in order to get a longer life out of it. Did you ever do that?

Also keen to follow your progress Spex as I've been on Fin for 12 years and lately have been worried I may have lost a little ground. Good luck mate.

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

Hi,

Never upped Fin dose. As spoken with many who have tried this with no benefits.

I'll be sure to keep you updated. Long way to go !

Regards

Spex

I would certainly consider PRP with acell (and maintaining Propecia) in your case because your thinning is barely noticeable. I would be afraid of a drug like Avodart that has a very long half life.

Ive really not seen any PRP results to make me consider it as a long term solution. Ive had a great deal of feedback on it too over the last few years and nothings ever excited me. Thanks for input though, much appreciated.

Regards

Spex

I'm wondering if it would be better to try alternating days with both finisteride and dutasteride. One day fin, next day dut, next day fin, etc. This way you won't be totally stopping finisteride and taking a chance that you will go downhill by coming off of it. Dutasteride could have different effects. Just my opinion.

Any update on side effects?

Inspired by this thread I have begun taking 1 Dutasteride tablet per week. I will up the dose in a few months if I experience no sides.

Edited by dirtylarry

Hi,

No side effects and all is well. :cool:

Regards

Spex

How did you transition from fin to dut?

Did you cut fin and start dut the next day or did you lean off fin and lean on dut?

Hi guys,

Sorry for delay.

I made straight switch as didn't want to waste time. No issues as a result of it in terms of side effects to date.

Regards

Spex

I'm in the same boat, stress has made me shed a lot of hair this year, and I feel fin isn't as effective I've been on it 6 years, I'm switching straight to dut

Will be really interested to follow your progress spex , I've used fin for 7 years but always have that nagging feeling that I may still be thinning in the crown , so hard to tell as my loss was very gradual even before I got on meds .

Out of interest is this how short your wearing your hair now or have you had some more work done ?

How's the hairline look cropped short ?

Cheers in advance

Things are going well. I'll be taking updated pics soon.

Interesting topic, thanks for sharing with us.

I have a few questions though.

In general there are the following assumptions:

- It is easier to maintain than to regrow

- It is easier to regrow when hairloss is "newer" (sorry for my bad englisch)

- Fin reduced only type 2 of DHT coversion

- Dut reduces type 2 stronger but also type 1 (and 3)

- Type 2 is most responsible for hairloss (why is no one inventing a better fin for higher type 2 supression?)

- Type 1 is also in the brain so we fear the side effects

If these assumption hold true, the normal way to fight hairloss should be:

- Take fin as soon as the first minimal signs of hairloss are observed and maintain as much as you can (unfortunately I did not do this, as no one (!) gives you this advice not even in a hairloss forum)

- If you already have lost some ground which is detectable and bothers you: Get on Dut and try to regrow some hair and if (!) you have side effects switch to Fin and maintain what you gained back.

In my opinion this would be the right strategy, but strangely no one is going that route.

Almost everyone is going on Fin to late and then (if ever) going on Dut it is the last resort not as an early intervention.

WHY?