FUE/FUSS Combination/Jerry Cooley MD, 4611 Grafts

This patient had initially had FUE to his crown and hairline at another clinic with disappointing results. We discussed FUE vs FUSS and he opted for the latter for his next procedure. He has very fine hair so he needed a good amount of hair to provide adequate coverage. We performed 4,197 grafts FUSS in the first procedure, mostly to the crown but also to reinforce the hairline. He returned at one year very pleased. The strip scar had healed very well and was almost invisible.

He wanted a small fill in session to the crown so for the next procedure we performed non-shaven FUE of 414 grafts. This allowed us to selectively harvest 3 and 4 hair grafts for maximum effect. He is shown one year following this procedure.

fue-strip-combo-hair-transplant-4197-1.jpg

fue-strip-combo-hair-transplant-4197-2.jpg

fue-strip-combo-hair-transplant-4197-3.jpg

fue-strip-combo-hair-transplant-4197-4.jpg

fue-strip-combo-hair-transplant-4197-5.jpg

fue-strip-combo-hair-transplant-4197-6.jpg

This is the placement for the 4197 FUSS grafts.

fue-strip-combo-hair-transplant-4197-6b.jpg

fue-strip-combo-hair-transplant-4197-7.jpg

fue-strip-combo-hair-transplant-4197-6c.jpg

Here is the placement for 414 non-shaven FUE grafts.

fue-strip-combo-hair-transplant-4197-8.jpg

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Mick50,

When we say we can pre-select three and four hair grafts it means that Dr. Cooley is purposely seeking out these follicular units in the donor zone and targeting them for extraction. The idea is that with these sized multi-haired grafts, which are the largest we can expect to find with any regularity, they will give better coverage in the intended recipient zone, in this case the crown. Had only singles or doubles been used in this area the coverage would have been lower, potentially only half of what you see in these photos. I hope this answers your question.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for your reply, I understand using 3-4 hair grafts

Will give better coverage it's just I was wondering how the grafts are cherry picked using the FUE method obviously with FUT it's pretty clear.

Hi Mick50,

With either procedure, magnification allows the doctor to see what he's doing with incredible detail. With FUT the microscopes allow for full visualization of the grafts while with FUE the doctor has direct visualization during the extraction process while wearing his high power surgical loupes. With Dr. Cooley's FUE the grafts are put through two phases of examination for the number of hairs with the first phase being during extraction then the second phase during the examination and refinement under microscopes by the technicians. This helps to confirm if a two hair graft is a actually a two hair graft or a three hair graft with one of the hairs not visible at the surface. I hope this helps to clarify how the grafts are targeted for maximum cosmetic impact.