Still just feeling stubble after 11 months ??

I believe this topic was touched on however what to actually do if anything and the why of it I don't recall were.

I am at the 11 month mark and can still just feel stubble. It seems to be mostly if not all in the crown area, which makes it harder to judge and see. However it appears the grafts have broken through but stopped growing (?). I had work done in both the frontal third and crown.

What if anything can be done and why has this happened ? Will it stay this way ?

I tried to deal with it up to now hoping it would eventually self correct, but in the last months I've come to the conclusion that they may never come in.

I'll just add that in general - and acknowledging this being subjective - my results have been very disappointing so far.

What can/should I do ?

There have been a few threads recently concerning this very topic , and there's no easy answer unfortunately. One of the threads was here :

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185440-if-only-20%25-your-grafts-stayed-did-doctor-screw-up.html

The only suggestion I can make is to consult with your surgeon . Is he a recommended surgeon on here ?

Hi Chris, yes I do believe it was previously discussed. Though no one really addressed what if anything to do.

What actually causes this ? And what to do to correct this ? I was hopeful the docs here would have some further insight into this issue.

I was hopeful the docs here would have some further insight into this issue.

Unfortunately , this is one area where the Dr's remain silent ( which I can understand to an extent ).

What has your own surgeon said in this regard ?

NewHare,

I understand that you are still feeling stubble, which is quite normal since some hairs may be still growing in or even growing back after returning from telogen or the resting phase. But what I'm a little unclear on is whether or not you're saying that you haven't seen significant growth from your hair transplant and that at 11 months post-op all you are feeling is stubble. Now that is definitely not normal and I would encourage you to discus this concern with your hair transplant surgeon. Do you have some photos to share with us?

Best wishes,

Bill

NewHare,

I understand that you are still feeling stubble, which is quite normal since some hairs may be still growing in or even growing back after returning from telogen or the resting phase. But what I'm a little unclear on is whether or not you're saying that you haven't seen significant growth from your hair transplant and that at 11 months post-op all you are feeling is stubble. Now that is definitely not normal and I would encourage you to discus this concern with your hair transplant surgeon. Do you have some photos to share with us?

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Bill, no sorry if I wasn't clear on that. I would say of the hairs that did come in. Most came in, in a timely fashion and continued to grow to proper length. So, yes of the hairs that did actually grow most grew to length, however a small percentage did not and have remained just stubble. The stubble is mostly if not all in the crown and has remained that way for some time now. This is what I was asking about in my post. What if anything can be done for the hairs that have remained stubble ? And will they eventually grow ?

As to as you said 'significant growth' overall the results IMO are quite disappointing. I see no real difference in density and the hairline where fu's were placed in front of 'plugs' to camouflage are sparse, make little difference and look very unnatural. But this has nothing to do with the stubble issue. The overall results and the stubble are two separate entities, and not related. 1. Of what grew in, a small percent has remained stubble. 2. The results overall have been very disappointing, irregardless of the stubble.

I did attempt to take photos, but they came out poorly and did not show much. Blurry, unfocused, ect. I will try again.

From your comment - "I understand that you are still feeling stubble, which is quite normal since some hairs may be still growing in or even growing back after returning from telogen or the resting phase" - are you then saying that even at 11 months it is still normal to feel stubble ?

If that is so, then thank you, as you answered my question as to whether they will eventually come in and properly grow to length.

NewHare

Feeling stubble on your scalp is quite normal, especially because all hairs go through cycles. 10% of your hair is in telogen (or resting) at any given time. When they finally begin to grow back (anagen), you will likely feel stubble. And thankfully, hair goes through the cycle at different times, otherwise, we'd go through a significant amount of time being bald before all of our hair starts to grow back. But because of this, you will likely always feel at least some stubble. I feel it on my head when I actively look for it. And I haven't had a hair transplant in many years now.

As for your results, I'm sorry you are disappointed. Did you post your before and after results somewhere?

Best wishes,

Bill

Feeling stubble on your scalp is quite normal, especially because all hairs go through cycles. 10% of your hair is in telogen (or resting) at any given time. When they finally begin to grow back (anagen), you will likely feel stubble. And thankfully, hair goes through the cycle at different times, otherwise, we'd go through a significant amount of time being bald before all of our hair starts to grow back. But because of this, you will likely always feel at least some stubble. I feel it on my head when I actively look for it. And I haven't had a hair transplant in many years now.

As for your results, I'm sorry you are disappointed. Did you post your before and after results somewhere?

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you for clarifying that Bill, thats something I never really considered. I know the hair goes through telogen and anagen but never thought about there being stubble. Though I never examined my head to this extent before either.

As to the results, I haven't posted any B&A photos as of yet. Though I will attempt again to get a few clear photos to post.

Unfortunately , this is one area where the Dr's remain silent ( which I can understand to an extent ).

What has your own surgeon said in this regard ?

Hi Chris, the dr suggested I wait till Feb and come back for a re-evaluation. Though I don't see whats going to happen between now and then, that hasn't already. I've had prior work and all the noticeable changes mostly took place in the 3-6 month period. At least in my case. I'm currently at 11 months.

I believe this topic was touched on however what to actually do if anything and the why of it I don't recall were.

I am at the 11 month mark and can still just feel stubble. It seems to be mostly if not all in the crown area, which makes it harder to judge and see. However it appears the grafts have broken through but stopped growing (?). I had work done in both the frontal third and crown.

What if anything can be done and why has this happened ? Will it stay this way ?

I tried to deal with it up to now hoping it would eventually self correct, but in the last months I've come to the conclusion that they may never come in.

I'll just add that in general - and acknowledging this being subjective - my results have been very disappointing so far.

What can/should I do ?

May you post some photos? There may be a couple of reasons why you appear to have only stubble after 11 months.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

These were the clearest, hope they help.

I had work done to the hairline, frontal third and crown.

The crown is were I felt the stubble, however that is the hardest to photograph. Nothing much showed except the existing hair that was already there.

There was no reason to photograph the frontal third as I don't have any before photos to compare, however I see no difference in density even now at 11 months. The doctor of course did take before photos.

As to the hairline I placed a small white line to show were the work was done. I had previous 'plug work' which is behind the lines, and the new work was placed in front. The hairs placed in front were to camouflage the harsh pluggy hairline. They did, IMHO very little to nothing nor do they look natural at all. I am very disappointed to say the least.

NewHare

IMG_0249.thumb.jpg.7eb9440eb8ee4760cfbb280ca1bb105a.jpg

IMG_0226a.thumb.jpg.46aa76b2a80614e10f753e575868f922.jpg

IMG_0238.thumb.jpg.2aa649edc77866cffa3a6eb8767a0d8e.jpg

IMG_0243.thumb.jpg.18b52cf06f6ec022346bebf74d426cf8.jpg

IMG_0227.thumb.jpg.2a3120470182dd519dbdca3c46a671c1.jpg

IMG_0236.thumb.jpg.0723dce2307c165428b11f8cdfeba542.jpg

IMG_0237.thumb.jpg.3e8e214915bbc352f869e92a0ad97703.jpg

NewHare,

The pics were definitely helpful and I see what you mean and your dissatisfaction.

What I am wondering is, "how large was the procedure" and also "what was the level of grafted density" in the hairline just ahead of the large grafts you had from a previous procedure.

It appears that there is a fair amount of space between the single hair grafts that you just had done. Part of the challenge of camouflaging larger grafts is that it takes a fair number of single hair grafts to accomplish this. And it also appears that these single hair grafts were placed under the larger grafts and do you know how many were placed "between" the larger grafts?

But now that the hairline was actually lowered, it will take a considerable amount of single hair grafts to blend this together to achieve an adequate level of visual density to tie together your existing hairline.

IMHO, the new grafts were placed too low but that's just my opinion.

Lastly, many patients who have work done in the crown experience slower regrowth in that region of the scalp.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

NewHare,

The pics were definitely helpful and I see what you mean and your dissatisfaction.

What I am wondering is, "how large was the procedure" and also "what was the level of grafted density" in the hairline just ahead of the large grafts you had from a previous procedure.

It appears that there is a fair amount of space between the single hair grafts that you just had done. Part of the challenge of camouflaging larger grafts is that it takes a fair number of single hair grafts to accomplish this. And it also appears that these single hair grafts were placed under the larger grafts and do you know how many were placed "between" the larger grafts?

But now that the hairline was actually lowered, it will take a considerable amount of single hair grafts to blend this together to achieve an adequate level of visual density to tie together your existing hairline.

IMHO, the new grafts were placed too low but that's just my opinion.

Lastly, many patients who have work done in the crown experience slower regrowth in that region of the scalp.

Thanks Gill,

The session consisted of 1528 fu's. The 'grafted density' I do not know.

I believe singles were placed in-between the plugs, how many exactly I'm not sure.

I agree the singles in the hairline were placed far too low, along with the fact they do nothing to camouflage the harsh pluggy hairline or add anything to the overall look. As well there is no visible difference in density to the frontal third region. Overall IMHO a very unnatural and disappointing result. And a waste of hairs, that I can not afford as I have very little left.

My question to the group is, where do I go from here ???

I now have very little donor hair left and do not know where to turn. I have to say, I have little faith in the HT industry, this was the second disappointing surgery by a so called 'Coalition Surgeon' on here.

IMHO, the next best move would be to have those low single hair grafts removed permanently. And I would not have them extracted nor excised out because you don't want to risk any visible scarring under your hairline. Having said that, it is potentially possible to have some of the larger grafts thinned out by extraction and even possible to have that hair re-implanted appropriately.

In addition, you may have to save some $ for awhile but I wonder how many potential grafts you may have in the sides and parietal areas to harvest by FUE?

But first do a lot of research on hairline repair and look at as many examples as possible. Communicate with as many hairline repair patients as possible as well.

Hopefully, you will be able to refine a list of talented proven repair surgeons that you can select from.

I wish you the best NewHare in getting a viable repair plan in place and if you live in the US, you are welcome to call me to discuss further. Just PM me and I will give you the number to reach me.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks again Gill for your honesty and concise informative reply. Before I can do anything I need to wrap my mind around having just paid thousands for a HT that I may now have to undo. As this is the second Coalition Surgeon I went to I can't say I have much faith in the process.

• 6 years later...

I know this was an old thread. But i have the SAME exact issue. I feel stubble hair mostly in the crown area still.  Its been 11-12 months. I cannot tell if its the transplanted graft or a new hair?  Since its been few years, i am curious of the original author who posted is willing to share what is the current state? did those stubble ever grew? I am keeping some hope up.