Is FUE possible with a sparse donar area?

10xfast

I have been having Hair fall past 8-10 years. Now, I have low density in the donar region. My questions are,

1) Since I have sparse donar area, am I a right candidate for FUE?

2) If so, how many Grafts do I need to fill the frontal/scalp and crown regions?

3) Can my beard be used as fillers?

I attached pictures - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1976.thumb.jpg.e9e29c881b673f83b4c3ec93a337f632.jpg

IMG_2094.JPG.fcdc75d95c353b60b597257f886c1e23.JPG

IMG_2096.JPG.45c2a4baafd3868e0b125fdb33d67825.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG.jpg.e83a0440fc3e0a033fe66acea677860e.jpg

I'm just back from Dr Saifi in Poland. During consultation, he showed me a case of beard hair used on a client very similar to your hair loss, basically a norwood 6. It was an amazing transformation, but did require a few sessions to complete. The patient in question had been turned down by other clinics, but anything is possible in the right hands.

Anything is possible in expert hands. Depends on what you want , what you are willing to use, what you are willing to pay. Few docs are able to extract bears and chest hairs successfully. You may want to get an expert consultation from docs that work with cases like yours and with FUE. Dr Sanusi Umar in California may be able to give you an assessment.

Where would you like your hairline to be? How dense are you looking for? Are you on any meds?

Whatever case may be, research hard before you get surgery or, if you can live with your head shaved, it may be the best choice. Because, in your case, you are looking at multiple procedures spread out. It is not a one hair transplant and done scenario. You may need a few surgeries. There is a lot of downtime and post op care involved. If you are willing to go through with it, only then should you consider surgery as an option imo. Good luck with everything

Thanks for the responses! I will keep the suggestions in mind.

1) Where would you like your hairline to be?

A: Hairline should surround the scalp border

2) How dense are you looking for?

A: Enough dense to cover the baldness

3) Are you on any meds?

A: Used Minoxidil for 6-8 months 2 years ago and I am not on any meds now.

• Administrators
Thanks for the responses! I will keep the suggestions in mind.

1) Where would you like your hairline to be?

A: Hairline should surround the scalp border

2) How dense are you looking for?

A: Enough dense to cover the baldness

3) Are you on any meds?

A: Used Minoxidil for 6-8 months 2 years ago and I am not on any meds now.

Unfortunately you do not have enough donor to cover the balding area with any sort of density, I don't think your expectations match your current situation, it appears you have miniaturization in the donor area, this means the hair may be susceptible to DHT. There are other alternatives like smp or a hair system.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Agree with HT soon. Even though it is hard to tell from pictures and I am not a doctor you may have miniaturization in your donor area. If that is the case those hairs if transplanted will not survive for long because they are not dht resistant. Not trying to steal your hope it's hard to tell from pictures. Best to get an ethical doctor to look in person

10x,

Have you had your scalp evaluated in person by a doctor? If not, this is the most important -- and first -- step.

Like a few members have noted, your donor looks very questionable based on these images alone. It may not be adequate for a true hair transplant.

Now, this doesn't mean you're out of options. I've personally performed FUE procedures on patients with low donor capacity because they wanted to combine it with scalp micropigmentation (SMP) all over the scalp (including the donor). Getting a little bit of hair spread throughout the top gives a more 3-D effect when combined with the SMP, and they were happy in the end. But it's important to realize that this was not a "dense pack" procedure at all; nor did we really try to define any area. But it may be an option if it's something you're interested in.

But see a hair transplant doctor in person for an evaluation. Very important!

Good luck.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.