Can Wearing A Wig Damage Your Hair

Janna

This patient received poor work at a different clinic. The pluggy, unnatural look was so bad he wore a wig for years before deciding to get a repair. Some Wigs may cause further damage to the scalp. He underwent a resection along with 3 small sessions to repair his old work. The final pictures show his result after the 4 procedures.

We`re sharing this video to illustrate what may happen if you don`t research thoroughly.

Edited by Janna

Hi Janna! This is an interesting topic.

Could wearing a hair system affect growth from a HT? Let's assume that one wears a wig and then stops wearing entirely for at least 12 months and has a HT, could the glues have an impact on growth?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had repeated problems in hairpiece wearers to the point where that is a deal breaker for me to offer surgery.

Now, I'm not sure that it was not the adhesive the patients were using that irritated the scalp but we definitely had big areas of low or no growth and photos of irritated skin...that I have never seen in non hair piece wearing patients. And in our guys all said the were either careful with the glue or didn't use it...but their heads were sticky...I took pics and showed it to them...

And I see a guy a month with a piece...and half of them are DIRTY.

So I guess it varies from practice to practice, but its a no go at our place. The last guy we did with a hairpiece shopped with me for 3 years. He's famous, I bent over backwards to meet the guy on his schedule and he promised to not wear the system.

3 weeks out, I see him on TV while eating breakfast and have never seen him in person again, nor without his piece which was OBVIOUSLY a piece. Just couldn't let go of that horrible wig he had and almost like body dysmorphic patients who think they look bad when the don't, this guy was absolutely certain his wig was natural looking.

Dr. Lindsey

So much for our agreement and a plan for 2 cases and good coverage for the anterior 2/3s of his head.

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Lindsey,

Thanks for the reply. Have you noticed lower yield or any other issues in patients who used to wear a wig, then stopped wearing entirely and had a hair transplant?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hi Janna! This is an interesting topic.

Could wearing a hair system affect growth from a HT? Let's assume that one wears a wig and then stops wearing entirely for at least 12 months and has a HT, could the glues have an impact on growth?

I do believe that the glue and the hair system itself can affect growth of transplanted hairs.

One would have to stop wearing their hair systems for a full year right after a ht procedure to allow the transplanted hairs to growth without any risks.

j