Which shampoos are safe?

I read that dander shampoo can actually cause more hair loss and that scares me.

I get flakes and have been using some on and off for the last 3 years. I want to find a shampoo that is safe and gentle but wont cause my flakes to get worse. Any ideas?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for safe shampoo, you need to use Organic shampoo. Below are the list of organic shampoo that i found online, Dont buy this before your own research.

1. Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab Thickening Shampoo 13fl.oz

EWG Rating: 0

Average Amazon Rating: 4

Number of Reviews (at time of posting): 29

2. Acure Organics Shampoo Moroccan Argan Oil and Argan Stem Cell — 8 fl oz

EWG Rating: 1

Average Amazon Rating: 4.5

Number of Reviews (at time of posting): 140

3. Soapberry Shampoo 16oz Organic Natural Hair Care

Number of Reviews (at time of posting): 111

4. Acure Organics, Shampoo, Pure Mint + Echinacea Stem Cell, 8 fl oz

Number of Reviews (at time of posting): 47

5. Nature’s Baby Organics Shampoo & Body Wash(Pack of 2)

Number of Reviews (at time of posting): 150

6. Hugo Naturals Balancing Shampoo, Tea Tree and Lavender, 12 Ounce

Number of Reviews (at time of posting): 1

7. Organix South TheraNeem Shampoo Moisture Therape — 12 fl oz

EWG Rating: 2

Number of Reviews (at time of posting): 20

8. TruKid Silly Shampoo, 8 Ounce

EWG Rating: 2

Number of Reviews (at time of posting): 22

Home1212,

I’m not sure exactly what mean by a “safe“ shampoo. Frankly, you can put just about any shampoo on your scalp and hair and will do the job of cleaning. Sure there are some that are better quality than others and some ingredients are better for the hair and scalp than others. But as far as safe for the scalp, I think they all are. I think we really need to know more about what it is you’re looking for before we can really address this question accurately.

For instance, if you’re talking about a shampoo that will help minimize or eliminate hair loss, there are some shampoos out there that are more gentle and contain ingredients that may even slow down or stop the progression of pattern baldness. Shampoos containing ketoconazole such as Revita or Nizoral May help especially when used in conjunction with Propecia and Rogaine. Together, these are referred to as the big three.

But if you’re referring to shampoos that are used for another purpose, such as moisturizing of the scalp or providing essential nutrients and vitamins to the hair, moisturizing shampoos, dandruff shampoos, etc., advice maybe different. So what exactly are you referring to when you are asking for a safe shampoo?

Bill

As an experiment I am trying the Shapiro MD shampoo.

I am very leery of any and all "hair growth" products, but after a month I like the product and will report back if I see any results....I'm not holding my breath....but hey at the very least it seems like a decent quality shampoo and conditioner. We'll see....

https://www.shapiromd.com/

Search YouTube "Shapiro MD shampoo" to see various good/bad reviews.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Shampoo,

I don’t know anything about this product at the moment but I did just want to chime in just to say that this shampoo has nothing to do with recommended hair transplant physicians and Coalition members Dr. Ron Shapiro or Dr. Paul Shapiro. This “hair loss shampoo” is being sold by a Dr. Steven Shapiro, who is not affiliated with our community. That doesn’t make him or his product bad - it’s just that this community doesn’t know much about him.

Shampoo, let us know how you make out with the product.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill. Yes I should have clarified that. I actually thought the same thing when i saw the name, but when I saw the doctor's picture I knew it was a different doctor. I actually really like the texture, cleansing, and washout of this product. After only using it for a month I can't comment if it slows hair-loss, but will report back with updates.

Edited by Shampoo

Shampoo,

Right on. I encourage you to start a new topic after you’ve had enough time to evaluate this product and share your product review. You can tell us what you like, what you don’t like, whether it’s helped you with your hair loss or not, etc. I look forward to hearing more in time.

Best wishes,

Bill

I can't imagine any shampoo actually increasing hair loss, short of some allergic reaction or something. If what you've been using has been working to keep the flakes at bay, then you could continue using it.

If it's not working, however, you really just have to use trial and error when it comes to finding what works for you. I've had a sensitive scalp my entire life, so I've tried just about everything under the sun. I use Ovation on a daily basis (paraben free/gentle) and it does a pretty good job at keeping my scalp from flaking. When I do have an outbreak, I use Nizoral, and when it gets really dry/itchy/flakey, I use a topical steroid that my doctor gave me. (I also use Raw Apple Cider Vinegar to treat outbreaks as well, which I found very helpful before I got this steroid from the doctor.)

This all works for me, but try different things until you find what you respond best to.

*I'm also allergic to a TON of styling products, so learning which ones to avoid also helps keep the flakes away which is something you may want to consider.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks Bill. Yes I should have clarified that. I actually thought the same thing when i saw the name, but when I saw the doctor's picture I knew it was a different doctor. I actually really like the texture, cleansing, and washout of this product. After only using it for a month I can't comment if it slows hair-loss, but will report back with updates.

If anyone knows a good shampoo, it has gotta be this guy!

If anyone knows a good shampoo, it has gotta be this guy!

Ha Ha true. When I joined this message board I could not think of a posting name, but the name I chose (Shampoo) must have raised Bill's suspicion that I was maybe someone with an agenda to sell a product. I assurred him that I was not and have never been involved in any way in any hair care product, hair care service, or anything related to hair.