Denied for Having HIV

londonuk36

Hi there,

I would just like to advise everyone that may be HIV+ that the clinic ASMED in Istanbul/Turkey has flat out refused to do a FUE procedure based ONLY on my HIV status.

As most of you surely know this is illegal in most European countries and the USA. I totally understand that the law in Turkey is not the same as in Western countries however it tells alot about the medical knowledge of their medical staff.

I dont think i need to educate anyone on HIV, specially not a supposed doctor.

So for all HIV positive guys and gals out there, avoid this clinic. And everyone else i would avoid it too because they clearly lack medical knowledge.

Having say that, I would like to know why is this clinic being recommended on this network as clearly they are not qualified, and as i read in another thread it was said that all clinics here would follow the Western protocol of no discrimination based on HIV status which is ILLEGAL in most western countries.

Thanks for your time.

J.

Jay,

Welcome to our community and I'm sorry that you feel you were turned down for surgery for reasons you disagree with. I understand that you're upset, but how do you know that you were turned down because you have HIV? Do you have proof that you were actually turned down for surgery due to possessing HIV? If so, I ask that you provide this proof because making such a bold statement may hurt a well established hair restoration clinic.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but if that's really the reason you were turned down for surgery and it's legal for them to do so, I suppose they were within their rights, despite how upset you are. But before we speculate I ask that you provide proof. I will also be contacting the clinic to garner their side of the story.

Best wishes,

Bill

• Like 1

Jay,

First of all, we don't allow spamming of our forum so I had to delete 4 other posts that say exactly the same thing. So since you posted here first, let's keep it here. Now, for the message I already posted that I had to remove and post again.

Welcome to our community and I'm sorry that you feel you were turned down for surgery for reasons you disagree with. I understand that you're upset, but how do you know that you were turned down because you have HIV? Do you have proof that you were actually turned down for surgery due to possessing HIV? If so, I ask that you provide this proof because making such a bold statement may hurt a well established hair restoration clinic.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but if that's really the reason you were turned down for surgery and it's legal for them to do so, I suppose they were within their rights, despite how upset you are. But before we speculate I ask that you provide proof. I will also be contacting the clinic to garner their side of the story.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

If this is true, then this is the second time I have heard of this just this year.I'm not sure if it's the same clinic but the poster does have a valid point if this statment is true, & even though this forum can not force or change a particular countries laws regarding this, then the very least the forum can do is not endorse such clinics as HIV patients should have the same rights as anybody else.

please get back to this thread & let us know of such statements & what is the policy of this clinic regarding HIV patients.

Thanks

• Like 1

I would imagine, due to the nature of a HT procedure, there would be health and safety implications for staff operating on an HIV positive patient. I'm sure there are safeguards that could be utilised, as they would be for any form of surgery with someone in this position.

I think there are too many risks regardless of how careful the clinic is. I agree with the clinic.

Fair comment, but how you would feel being rushed to the ER & they refuse you surgery because you got some sort of disease?

• Like 1

I think it's a difficult case as I feel for you and understand that using modern precaution and safety medical methods they should operate assuming everyone could be HIV positive.

However I also understand the clinic wanting to protect the doctors and tech's etc. from additional risks.

Were you denied on arrival after positive testing, or in advance? If it is their official policy then they should openly state it.

just my take on it

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Very difficult situation you find yourself in. Sorry to hear that. There was a case like this I read on before, yet I do not recall the specific clinic at the moment. But if memory still serves me correctly the patient with this HIV condition successfully sued a U.S. based hair surgery clinic and well, you can imagine the amount in money compensation.

As far as I know it is unethical and illegal for any clinic to discriminate against anyone with certain conditions including HIV. But isn't it odd for clinics to draw blood to test it before a hair procedure?

Best to stick with U.S. clinics. You are protected. I want to wish you a lot of luck.

I have sent my assessment form to Asmed ( there you have to stated your HIV status), I never have gotten any reply from them. I have decided that my HIV status will help me to choose a clinic as well, cause only unprofessional Dr would refused undetectable HIV status patient. I have gone with Dr Doganay I I must say I am very happy with my choice. Will rite up my experience soon.

In the past, we have performed surgery on HIV sero positive patients and some of them are actually active users of this forum. We continue to perform surgery HIV (+) patients who are under proper medication with the exception of those whom are in the active stage of disease. I am sorry for this miscommunication and misunderstanding.

Dr.Koray Erdogan

ASMED CLINIC

Edited by ASMEDMANUALFUE

ASMED Surgical Medical Center

Dr Koray Erdogan. Istanbul, Turkey

- For info, evaluations and quotations: htn@asmed.com.tr

- Telephone Contacts (Numbers active in working time and 24h for urgencies):

Main number : (+90) 216 464 11 11

USA: (+1) 8454612049

UK: (+44) 2035191146

- Free online consultation: Online Consultation Form

- For additional information on our clinic, cost and photos:

Asmed Hair Transplant Official Website

- Our Official Facebook Page

I have sent my assessment form to Asmed ( there you have to stated your HIV status), I never have gotten any reply from them. I have decided that my HIV status will help me to choose a clinic as well, cause only unprofessional Dr would refused undetectable HIV status patient. I have gone with Dr Doganay I I must say I am very happy with my choice. Will rite up my experience soon.

Well at least you found a reputable clinic that will definitely help you without objection to your disease. Honestly speaking I do not think any clinic should worry about working on patients with HIV since it is not an air-born disease. You simply cannot catch it by sniffing it from the air exactly.

Asmed is in Turkey and well as you might imagine the country is not exactly the EU. Their standards and practices are not on par with the rest of the world entirely. Personally I would be weary of clinics operating outside the EU or USA.

Asmed is in Turkey and well as you might imagine the country is not exactly the EU. Their standards and practices are not on par with the rest of the world entirely. Personally I would be weary of clinics operating outside the EU or USA.

I can't comment on the guy who was declined, but ASMED's response suggests there is more to it so we shouldn't rush to judgement. However I will add that the ASMED clinic is run to a very high standard. I had my HT there just over a week ago and the place is state of the art and like a mini hospital. Its huge, over 5 floors with an army of staff and is spot less. I personally witnessed a very high standard of cleanliness and safety. While Turkey might not be in the EU and there are hundreds of small HT clinics in Turkey who might cut corners, thats not how its done at ASMED.

I can't comment on the guy who was declined, but ASMED's response suggests there is more to it so we shouldn't rush to judgement. However I will add that the ASMED clinic is run to a very high standard. I had my HT there just over a week ago and the place is state of the art and like a mini hospital. Its huge, over 5 floors with an army of staff and is spot less. I personally witnessed a very high standard of cleanliness and safety. While Turkey might not be in the EU and there are hundreds of small HT clinics in Turkey who might cut corners, thats not how its done at ASMED.

Well let us just hope you are right. You could be correct about the Asmed clinic though I have never been there, granted. Yet given that your transplant is barely a month I would not necessarily give them a gold star either. Personally I would steer clear of exotic clinics in far off countries until more info is given. However I do respect your choice.

• 1 year later...

By working on patients with HIV they will be exposing all their future patients to HIV by using the same medical instruments on them as they did on you.

These instruments are not cheap and cannot be easily replaced.

On top of that they have staff who would be working with your bloodied tissue for 8 hours straight.

Who, in their proper mind, would do this kind of surgery on a patient with HIV.

By working on patients with HIV they will be exposing all their future patients to HIV by using the same medical instruments on them as they did on you.

On top of that they have staff who would be working with your bloodied tissue for 8 hours straight.

Strange that you decided to respond to an old thread with such false assertions. Any medical practice that has proper procedures will have no risk to future patients at all.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2016 at 5:10 PM, Bill - Seemiller said:

Jay,

Best wishes,

Bill

You can get their side of the 'story' all you like however, a little research on your part will prove that it is virtually impossible to find a clinic in Turkey that will perform transplant surgery on anyone with HIV whether or not they are undetectable

On 10/20/2016 at 1:12 AM, jackblack71 said:

I think there are too many risks regardless of how careful the clinic is. I agree with the clinic.

No actually, there are zero risks if a person is undetectable.

On 10/21/2016 at 9:13 PM, milo12 said:

Well let us just hope you are right. You could be correct about the Asmed clinic though I have never been there, granted. Yet given that your transplant is barely a month I would not necessarily give them a gold star either. Personally I would steer clear of exotic clinics in far off countries until more info is given. However I do respect your choice.

Turkey is not an exotic country or far off, it's just down the road for us Europeans.

On 11/12/2017 at 4:00 AM, winston78 said:

Have you not heard of sterilization?

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2016 at 12:54 AM, londonuk36 said:

Hi there,

I would just like to advise everyone that may be HIV+ that the clinic ASMED in Istanbul/Turkey has flat out refused to do a FUE procedure based ONLY on my HIV status.

As most of you surely know this is illegal in most European countries and the USA. I totally understand that the law in Turkey is not the same as in Western countries however it tells alot about the medical knowledge of their medical staff.

I dont think i need to educate anyone on HIV, specially not a supposed doctor.

So for all HIV positive guys and gals out there, avoid this clinic. And everyone else i would avoid it too because they clearly lack medical knowledge.

Having say that, I would like to know why is this clinic being recommended on this network as clearly they are not qualified, and as i read in another thread it was said that all clinics here would follow the Western protocol of no discrimination based on HIV status which is ILLEGAL in most western countries.

Thanks for your time.

J.

hi guys i can recommend you a clinic that performs great