temple point, luxury or important?

So guys, i have been playing with the thought of how much grafts into the temple points would do. But how many grafts do it require to look good?

i attatched two pictures one with and one without.

How many grafts would this transplant require?

Snapchat-618747498.thumb.jpg.a6f759447a19397deb65b3383bf0a9e2.jpg

Snapchat-2050907971.thumb.jpg.f6c018290b336778b176a6a46819c533.jpg

Looking at your pictures that your temples has receded about the width of index finger, so in your case, imho that your temples would have to be brought in just a smidge, nothing to crazy must look as natural as possible to follow new hairline.

estimates for temple points are around 200/250 each side & agaim IMHO frames the face rather well meaning you dont want a new built hairline & a wide forehead do you? It wont look natural.

also templ points are mostly used by 1 hair folicals more of a cosmetic look again to frame the face as naturally as possible more than density.

A good doctor will & should address your temples as more often I see its over looked with some doctors, not sure why, maybe because its a tricky part of the process.

I hope that helps you in some way....speak with several docs and see what they have to say, that would give you a better idea.

Mosd,

Temple points are always an interesting subject. They can drastically change facial framing and serve as the final "cherry on top" for many hair transplant patients who already restored the rest of the scalp and want the temples back just so everything is "done." But they also much be approached in a cautious manner and both you and the doctor need to make sure it's appropriate for your case AND that those grafts wouldn't be better reserved for another area of the scalp.

As Gman correctly states, however, they can be tricky and really work best in patients with specific hair types and skin-to-hair color contrasts.

With regard to your original question: I think it would probably take somewhere around 350 grafts per triangle (700 total) to restore the plan you have outlined above. Could be more or less depending on final design and seeing more of your entire face/head, but I think 350 in each triangle makes sense for most patients.

If you're interested, here's a presentation I put together about temple points a while back. May be useful for you:

Temple Points: Sometimes, Always, or Never?

Hope this helps!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake,

350 each side seems a awful lot but again it depends on the size of the head I guess.

In this case I think his temples do need to be brought in just a smidge to make it look as naturally as possible so it all flows as close to nature would have it.

Also not all size fits all on temples, sometimes its best to leave out this especially for the older guys, again the key to it, is to make it look natural over density.

just my 2 cents, interseting topic tho I must say.

Ontop,

Nicely stated.

350 may be excessive depending on how large the triangle ends up being and how much of his natural triangles he has left.I threw this number out there because it's usually around what I end up doing for temple point restorations. And I fully agree with a more conservative approach when it comes to temple point restoration. These can become unnatural if done too aggressively. And you're absolutely right that it is not a "one-size-fits all." And in some instances, it should even be avoided altogether!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Yes I think this should be approached with caution, especially with the guys in there 20s & 30s as you have very little clue how much loss will accrue over the yrs & using up grafts which maybe needed in the future, but there is some wiggle room for the older guys in there 40s early 50s I should think as the hairloss is much more stable & less aggressive than when you are younger.

Ive been thinking about the temple triangle points here recently & wondering because mostly they are one hair folicals & more for the cream on the top so to speak, then do you think that its not a bad idea to extract grafts from the nape? even though the nape is sometimes susceptible to recede over time, so using nape grafts could be a better natural thing to use for such a location.

this is my dilemma also. Should one focus on getting thick hair on the head or framing the face? worth to sacrifice 500-700 graft for framing the face? A high hairline but well framed face can look good. But can a wide forehead look good with a pretty thick hairline? Dunno.

Me personally in the grand scheme of things, I think for that amount of grafts to frame your face well & more so natural looking is worth it, but that's just me.

I would rather put most of my efforts in the front of face than the back as that's where people see you on a daily basis.

I guess its boils down to the famous supply & demand & age, blah, blah, blah.

I

yeah exactly, in the end its what makes you happy. And how much your willing to risk.

The thing with the temple points is that its hard to cover them. The mid and behind the hairline is possible to hide a little with hair styling but temple points is harder.

Or does anyone have any tips on how to cover temple points with hair styling?

Yeah I agree that strengthening temple points are worth the grafts. I had my first HT 3 years ago to the hairline (2,000 grafts) and had to have a small follow up HT a year later to address a small area behind the recipient that was missed the first time around.

So at that stage I decided to also address the temple points as I felt their weakness was amplified by the strong new hairline. It just looked a little "off" to me! A little like a really good hair piece! While it was just a small touch up to the temple points, it took the guts of 700 grafts. But definitely well worth it as the face is definitely framed better. Granted, I'm now down 700 grafts that could have been used in the crown (if I need it in a few years) but I would prefer a well framed face with a weak crown to a stronger overall head of hair and a wide forehead! My 2 cents anyway.

Not that I would speak for Dr. Blake but I would guess that his estimate probably accounts for 3 things; the fact that they would be single hair grafts and of course meeting the appropriate level of density. Thirdly, exactly how far out those temporal lobe areas are brought forward. Please feel free to correct me if my premonition is incorrect Dr. Blake.

Also just wanted to add that various ethnic backgrounds can also have an impact how far out those areas are brought down. For example, African Americans tend to have flatter hairlines and therefore might potentially take more grafts to keep the hairline where it normally was situated before the recession started. However a fair number of Caucasian and Hispanics recede with more pronounced temporal lobe recession.

And the other thing to keep in mind is the fact that the middle area of the hairline will undoubtedly continue to recede further back and so depending in where the overall hairline will be situated, that will have a bearing on the temporal area restoration. And based on the photos, I believe this would apply to Gman because of the noticeable diffusion in the front tuff region.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think I had about 150 grafts in each of mine (300 total) but the area was about half what you have drawn.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I honestly think that temple points are an essential feature of a good hair transplant. Some patients don't require them but others do. It finishes off the look nicely, framing the face and provides a very nice profile!

I also think that if you have good temple points you can get away with a slightly higher hairline as it frames the sides better.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Very important for the reasons already given, if you have successful procedures in the hairline and or temple corners without adequately addressing the temple points it starts to look like a wall of hair or wig-like in appearance.

Also properly filled in temple points/sides give a more youthful appearance to the face.

Most conservative doctors are not eager to put a lot of grafts in this area though for the sake of donor management, so you may end up having to have a "final" procedure to really specifically address this area.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

My surgeon refused to work on my temple points because he said that the hair there are too different and that this would look unnatural. It was a bit of a disappointment even if it shows he is ethical. But many of the top docs work on the temple points. What are your thoughts on that?

Was it because he felt that the native hair in the area was too diffused?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

My surgeon refused to work on my temple points because he said that the hair there are too different and that this would look unnatural. It was a bit of a disappointment even if it shows he is ethical. But many of the top docs work on the temple points. What are your thoughts on that?

I'm kinda miffed on this one. I get it where holding back grafts in the bank for future hairloss, but never heard it would look unnatural unless you was using face/body hair, that I can see the reason but from the donor? Nope im confused.

interesting to see what the veterans have to say though.

Edited by ontop

Dr Diep did a great job with my temples. I recommend him.

I'm kinda miffed on this one. I get it where holding back grafts in the bank for future hairloss, but never heard it would look unnatural unless you was using face/body hair, that I can see the reason but from the donor? Nope im confused.

interesting to see what the veterans have to say though.

The reason for this is because a lot of people with hair loss have diffuse sides which means if you were to bring in the temple triangles with hair you would end up with a cm of thick hair at the sides with thin hair behind it. Not to mention the possibility of permanent shock loss. It is a serious problem with no feasible solution IMO.

After you've had several successful procedures but without addressing the temple points, you really have to have a final one to make things 100 natural looking.

Dr, Bisanga's excellent work in my temple corners grew in so thick (60cm2 according to his count) that my greying sides and temple peaks required a specific procedure to address it, the only other alternative would have been to cut my hair very short and also dye my hair on the sides.

I prefer having thicker hair in the temple points then the alternative, which will start growing in about a few weeks time now hopefully from my latest procedure.

And if I ever have any future touch ups, those will include the temple points as well.

As I mentioned, most docs really don't want to transplant in this area due to conservative approach, so you either really have to almost beg them to do it or address it in a "final procedure."

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

After you've had several successful procedures but without addressing the temple points, you really have to have a final one to make things 100 natural looking.

Dr, Bisanga's excellent work in my temple corners grew in so thick (60cm2 according to his count) that my greying sides and temple peaks required a specific procedure to address it, the only other alternative would have been to cut my hair very short and also dye my hair on the sides.

I prefer having thicker hair in the temple points then the alternative, which will start growing in about a few weeks time now hopefully from my latest procedure.

And if I ever have any future touch ups, those will include the temple points as well.

As I mentioned, most docs really don't want to transplant in this area due to conservative approach, so you either really have to almost beg them to do it or address it in a "final procedure."

Your hair looks really good. Did Bisanga do all your work?

Hey thanks, the bulk of my results were from previous procedures with Dr Hasson and Dr Konior (including touchup) then Dr Bisanaga for the temple corners about 2.5 years ago.

Most recently I went to Dr Bisanaga again for temple peak work which I'm waiting for to grow in. Just recently restarted Fin again after being off for 7 months.

go dense or go home

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home