2700 Grafts FUE - Tue 11th October 2016 - Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED Istanbul

JustJax

I think it still looks very clean and I'm certain you will get the result you were after. It's only the lingering redness that would cause anyone to suspect anything. I would be happy to return to work like that. You'll have to let me know how you get on today.

Fingers crossed that you can keep a large percentage of the transplanted hairs and they don't all shed. Do you know if you are able to buzz the donor areas so that they stay tidy or do you have to just allow it all to grow?

Good idea with the dongle. I will look in to that today.

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

I think it still looks very clean and I'm certain you will get the result you were after. It's only the lingering redness that would cause anyone to suspect anything. I would be happy to return to work like that. You'll have to let me know how you get on today.

Fingers crossed that you can keep a large percentage of the transplanted hairs and they don't all shed. Do you know if you are able to buzz the donor areas so that they stay tidy or do you have to just allow it all to grow?

Good idea with the dongle. I will look in to that today.

Hey, DEB1982, I think the guidance is 6 months for a buzz cut, but I'm not 100% if that's both donor and recipient area. Prob worth double checking with ASMED. IMHO, it would seem reasonable that donor area should be fine to buzz after a few weeks, but with that said, for my first hair cut post HT, I'm going to get the salon to hand cut it super short instead of with the clippers just to be sure. It'll take a lot longer but rather play it safe at least for the first few months.

Day 14 - Monday 24th October

Up early for 1st day back at work today. Was a bit self conscious on the way to the office today as its the first time I've properly been out in public since flying back from Turkey but it appears nobody cared :D. Journey was fine but I find myself a little anxious and weary of people getting to close to me when out and about, I'm convinced someone is going to accidently knock my head some how, particularly when I'm sitting down and others are standing such as on the Tube (subway).

Anyway, made it to the office fine and the biggest surprise was the lack of reactions. Lots commented were like 'wow' about the short hair, but nothing more, no probing questions. One of the girls in my team who I hadn't told before leaving for the HT hadn't realized anything was up and only when I told her did she say she wondered a a little about the redness but not so much it raised any big questions. Those I had previously told were really curious and impressed and all commented that you couldn't see I'd had anything done to the donor area. So that was it for the office. Bit of a non reaction beyond the super short hair which I guess is the perfect reaction.

So here are today's pictures. As I was up early for work and it was still dark I didn't take any morning pics in the daylight, so all shots are indoors which always seems to show the redness more.

IMG_3731.thumb.jpg.39c88805de79648cc37d6909b0f0f9a1.jpg

IMG_3724.thumb.jpg.0abdf1bd251fbcfc02cc100a6024a283.jpg

IMG_3734.thumb.jpg.28b7e544f9b8af516c71d8eebe05ff8f.jpg

IMG_3738.thumb.jpg.c21ed41917d99fdac9c12f98c485af8c.jpg

IMG_3742.thumb.jpg.165c59297553ccb6f8c926d49aaaca8e.jpg

So interesting observation the past two days. Since all the scabs are off, I seem to have almost no shed .. at least not when I wash. Now I am washing it differently, only washing it once (instead of two shampoo's each wash) and I don't need to be that firm as all the scabs are gone, but it now makes me wonder if the shed during those few days (days 8-12) were lots grafts and not shed? Oh does the shed happen in waves?

I think you are best off asking Asmed directly but my very under qualified opinion would be that you pulled the hairs off with the scabs hence why you saw more at that time but the actual bulb would have remained in your head. My understanding is that you would see blood if you had removed an actual graft.

You are right though. Each individual hair will shed at it's own time. Some immediately, some in a few weeks.

Why don't you try getting on some supplements to speed up hair growth. I'm planning to take Biotin and MSM. I'm also planning to have a break from alcohol and to eat as healthily as I can.

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

Why don't you try getting on some supplements to speed up hair growth. I'm planning to take Biotin and MSM. I'm also planning to have a break from alcohol and to eat as healthily as I can.

Hey, I am already taking a multi vitamin and Biotin, I was going to add some MSM and Silica, but just debating what else (if anything) to add and in what dose.

Looking good JustJax I'm enjoying the highly detailed thread and i think you'll have a great outcome.

Thanks, hopefully it helps people. I know reading people's threads about their experience's (particularly at AMSED) really helped me know I had made the right decision in going with Dr Erdogan but just to also understand what to expect too.

Day 15 - Tuesday 25th October

So exactly 2 weeks ago today I had my surgery. :cool: Its weird how quickly time has past but also how back to normal I am. Even thought I was scabby for a good week, as soon as I got home I felt normal again and I had to remind myself sometime that I should be taking it easy and relaxing. Now, on day 15, besides the numbness and tenderness at the front, life is pretty much back to normal too.

Only thing I'm not doing yet is exercising again. ASMED recommend refraining from exercising for 3-4 weeks, which I thought was going to be tough as I normally go to the gym 5-6 times a week, but oddly the past 2 weeks have gone by so quickly I haven't been too bothered. However, I am worried about getting too use to not going to the gym so I am planning start back next Monday but just to do very light cardio on the treadmill (literally just walking) and then the week after back to lifting again. Hopefully I haven't lost all my gains. :D

Been super busy with meetings today and then home late-ish as I had the dentist so just one pic today which I took by the window in my office, so indoors but kinda with natural light too.

IMG_3750.thumb.jpg.a6429c7dd540820d59bbf7bd19135317.jpg

It's looking better every day in my opinion and gives you a good idea of what you hair will look like shape wise after it has all grown out.

It's a such a shame everyone has to shed these hairs. Wouldn't it be so less painful if all the hairs just grew straight away.

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

Only thing I'm not doing yet is exercising again. ASMED recommend refraining from exercising for 3-4 weeks, which I thought was going to be tough as I normally go to the gym 5-6 times a week, but oddly the past 2 weeks have gone by so quickly I haven't been too bothered.

I really don't get this Jax. I've read clinics recommending 5 days, then resume light exercise. If the grafts are secure in 10 days, i don't see why, after fue, you can't resume normal exercise. Obviously with fut, there is a risk of tearing/stretching a scar, but i can't see a problem with fue. Can someone enllighten me on this..:confused::confused:

It's looking better every day in my opinion and gives you a good idea of what you hair will look like shape wise after it has all grown out.

Yeah shape wise its pretty good and although I worry about the lack of shedding now (compare to days 8-12 ish) means the earlier 'shed' was actually lost grafts .. but if only the hair I have visible now came back in 4-6 months, I'd still have a pretty soild result. BTW, quite a lot of people comment that the buzz cut (with my new hairline of course) suit me, which makes me a little more confident at this stage.

I really don't get this Jax. I've read clinics recommending 5 days, then resume light exercise. If the grafts are secure in 10 days, i don't see why, after fue, you can't resume normal exercise. Obviously with fut, there is a risk of tearing/stretching a scar, but i can't see a problem with fue. Can someone enllighten me on this..:confused::confused:

I know, its confusing. I think the problem is that while hair transplants have been performed for decades, I'm not sure if there is enough research done around many areas of HT to provide Doctors with solid evidence to form cohesive guidelines. I suspect the ones that advocate for longer periods of rest are just being cautious. I did originally stress a little at the idea of not exercising for 3-4 weeks as I can easily fall out of the habit of going to the gym (and have done in the past) but the last 2 1/2 weeks really have just kinda flown by. While I don't want to risk lifting until after 4 weeks, I'm effeminately going back Monday (as mentioned above) just to do very light cardio and to get back into the routine of going.

Day 16 - Wednesday 26th October

Not much to share today. Again little or no obvious shedding when washing. Perhaps it would be different if I was being firmer, but I don't overly feel the need to be too firm washing the hair as its not scabby. The front is still very number though and still very short and bristly so I tend to be a bit cautious still washing that area. Hoping the hairs in the recipient area 'bloom' a bit more in the next week and soften as a result. Looking forward to the numbness going too. Although I'm kind of use to it, its a weird feeling having a numb head, its feels like a combination of having something heavy sitting on it and also like something is holding/putting a little pressure on it. Certainly be glad when it normalizes in the coming weeks (hopefully not months).

Picture wise its feels like it looks about the same so I will probably take a pic daily but only upload every few days when there is something to show/update.

Day 18 - Friday 28th October

Didn't post yesterday as there was nothing much to report. Definitely seeing some growth in the recipient area, although more so at the hairs just behind the hairline. Those towards the very front seem slower to grow, I can see them there are they are very small, kinda like stubble, hopefully they kick in soon as they make the front look a little patchier, where as once they grow I believe it'll look more even.

Otherwise things are generally fine, still finding the numbness at the front/recipient area annoying, hoping that goes soon. Looking at my sheet from ASMED, it says numbness can last around a month, although I've read others on here so it can last several months .. hoping that's not the case. :(

BTW, had lots of compliments this evening from a team at a medi spa clinic that I go to for some treatments. I told them last month I was having a HT so they were excited to see the result and were all very impressed and wanting to know where I'd had it done, etc. One of them also commented about the buzz cut suiting me which a few people have said which is really good, as I was so worried about how I'd look at this stage.

Anyway, these are today's pictures. Front shots are from the office in better light, two side/temple shots are this evening at home, where the lighting makes the redness look a lot darker. Looking past the redness, I think the temples are going to be awesome, they have really good coverage and I'm really excited to see what they'll look like in 6 months time.

IMG_3750.thumb.jpg.711871f932fb40fb461442be66e51648.jpg

IMG_3801.thumb.jpg.1cee1a2e7b36c862e30d0f3a58103547.jpg

IMG_3804.thumb.jpg.87596bba15aaff4a5745dee8d0c259dd.jpg

IMG_3810.thumb.jpg.228393c1489e8e11c6bf69bc2ff6f922.jpg

Everything looks great! Have you had shedding on your transplanted area?

I don't seem to have had any obvious further shedding (at least when washing my hair) since around day 12-13.i.e once all the scabs came off, which makes me worry a little though that the loss around days 8-12 (had 2-3 days where I had around 20+ hairs in sink) were lost hairs/grafts and not shed .. unless the shedding can happen in waves? :confused: ..but with that said, I feel fairly confident that if all the current hairs come back strong in 4-6 months, I'm still going to have a pretty strong result.

Day 20 - Sunday 30th October

Well I think I jinxed myself with my last post. I washed my hair yesterday and today and there were about 15 hairs in the sink each day so the shed is back after a few days of little or no shed :(

Speaking of shed, it's weird how we all are told that 80-90% of it will shed but we still kinda freak out when it does. I know it has to happen and I except that, but I think I would be more relaxed if I hadn't shed so much during days 7-12. I definitely worry about the lack of density just behind the front hairline particularly on one side. It's less evident in the indoor pics but more obvious in daylight. I just have to hope that the early shed was mainly from that area and that's why it's looking like it does. I certainly can't pinpoint anything I did in the first 10-12 days that may have resulted in any of those grafts being lost permanently. It's going to be a long and anxious waiting period to see what comes back.

Although you can't see it in most of the pictures I've noticed the last few days that my normal hair is growing much faster than the recipient area, so it's starting to become a little bit more obvious, wish I could put some hair fertiliser to help the recipient area ;) Anyway next weekend will be just shy of a month since the surgery so I'm also going to get the back and sides cut (with a scissors not clippers) just to create a bit of shape.

Finally, quick note about the pics, you can see if you open them up and look at them full size that I have what looks like some scabbing, it's actually just dry flaky scalp skin (forehead is the same) I'm using Aloe Vera gel on the area but hard to tell if it's helping. All pics are in outdoor lighting except one which should be obvious.

IMG_3885.thumb.jpg.687e016af8632e09d368717de84ff736.jpg

IMG_3887.thumb.jpg.d1af8c7583f72b19415396cf67d8a0db.jpg

IMG_3892.thumb.jpg.9b23426fda87ebafd546b55c42ad7d6a.jpg

IMG_3895.thumb.jpg.31c35bff795d72be73da02e43fe5fb42.jpg

IMG_3890.thumb.jpg.7eecbef95ec10bd655a4f8f62c5cdb53.jpg

Don't stress about the lack of density just behind the front hairline - I had that too. And yes, the transplanted hair does grow slower; some of my transplants grew only to be short stubble before falling out at 6-8 weeks. Here's a pic of me at 3 months.

5b32efada2822_3months-frontviewwithflash.thumb.jpg.ac1225821fd3e76a520cc47031c1b260.jpg

Don't stress about the lack of density just behind the front hairline - I had that too. And yes, the transplanted hair does grow slower; some of my transplants grew only to be short stubble before falling out at 6-8 weeks. Here's a pic of me at 3 months.

Hey, Ersko72, thanks for the positive vibes. Hopefully you are right. It's just hard when you are at this stage, but I'm sure you remember it well. ;)

Day 21 - Monday 31st October

So almost 3 weeks post surgery. Occurred to me this evening that today was the first day that I haven't overly thought about my hair. Probably helps that work is so busy I don't have time, but I also think I've just relaxed and made piece with how it looks (some redness, some thinning as it sheds). I've just hoping the shed holds off a few days as one of my best friends is visiting on Friday and I want to show off my new hair line before it all falls out. :cool:

Anyway. Just one pic from this evening for today.

IMG_3930.thumb.jpg.f47513504f6ca623d735f9cb53226a14.jpg

Hey JustJax,

my HT journey starts tomorrow...

Could you tell a bit more about the process of designing the hairline?

Did Dr.Erdogan propose one or was it a longer discussion?

I'm curious about that.

And during the HT did you watch a movie or is it better to listen to some music/ipod?

Thanks!

Hey JustJax,

my HT journey starts tomorrow...

Could you tell a bit more about the process of designing the hairline?

Did Dr.Erdogan propose one or was it a longer discussion?

I'm curious about that.

Ooh, exciting. Are you in Instanbul already?

In terms of the hairline, I met Dr Erdogan first in London in May 2016 and before he started marking up my head I believe I made it clear I wanted to lower my hairline and fill in my temples. It was pretty much the same when we agreed the the design before my surgery last month. Both times I let him decide on the shape, assuming he knew best. Obviously if you have a particular hair line/shape in mind, I am sure he'll be happy to discuss. Once he draws on what he thinks is an appropriate hairline, he does ask you if you are happy with it and will make tweaks based on your feedback.

And during the HT did you watch a movie or is it better to listen to some music/ipod?

Thanks!

I sometimes listened to music on my iPhone and I watched one movie (they have an iPad and it has quite a lot of movies on it, all sorts), but I found my attention a bit all over the place. For me I had some discomfort during the extraction and implantation (creating the incisions was easily the most pleasant part) but I think that’s because I didn’t speak up soon enough and ask for them to re-numb the area. I would start to feel some discomfort and suffer through until it got to painful, where as I really should have spoken up as soon as I felt anything and they would have used more local anaesthetic as they did as soon as I said anything.

Gonna be a great result I'm sure. Out of interest, did you get any graft quotes from other clinics before going with Erdogan?

Hi Zim, yes I did. Had to dig back into some old emails/threads to gte this infor but .. back in 2013 I saw Dr Shahmalak from Manchester in the UK and he suggested 1400 grafts, then I met with Dr Ed Ball at Ziering Medical and he suggested 1300-1400 (but also noted that I would possibly need a 2nd HT to get the density). The cost of both quotes were circa 7000-8000 UK British Pounds.

Then in Oct 2014 I found this forum and read about Dr Erdogan, Dr Doganay and Dr Demirsoy so emailed all three for quotes. Dr Doğanay's people suggested 2000 grafts but I quickly ruled him out as they said he wouldn't lower my hair line due to my age. Dr. Demirsoy rep suggested 2500-3000 but I was underwhelmed with the before/after pics provided. Finally, Dr Erdogan's team came back with suggestion of 3400-3600. At that stage I felt Dr Erdogan was the way to go but I'll be honest and say I was concenred that he was suggesting many more grafts than others, and that combined with being the most expensive of the three meant it was suddenly more expensive than I had anticipated. So once again I put the idea of a HT on ice.

Then in July 2015 I got an email out of the blue (via another HT forum) saying that ProHairBelgium were going to be in London doing consults. So I went along and they were very nice but I don't think they ever officially emailed me the quote so I can't recall how many grafts they sugested, I think it was circa 2500-3000.

Finally, in spring 2016 I saw Dr Erdogan was coming to London in May so I requested a consulant and once again I had to submit my pictures etc and they suggested 3200 grafts this time. In May, I finally met Dr Erdogan and after examining me in person he suggested I only needed 2700 and thats essentially what I had done (think I had 2709).

Phew, hope that helps! :cool:

Ooh, exciting. Are you in Instanbul already?

In terms of the hairline, I met Dr Erdogan first in London in May 2016 and before he started marking up my head I believe I made it clear I wanted to lower my hairline and fill in my temples. It was pretty much the same when we agreed the the design before my surgery last month. Both times I let him decide on the shape, assuming he knew best. Obviously if you have a particular hair line/shape in mind, I am sure he'll be happy to discuss. Once he draws on what he thinks is an appropriate hairline, he does ask you if you are happy with it and will make tweaks based on your feedback.

I sometimes listened to music on my iPhone and I watched one movie (they have an iPad and it has quite a lot of movies on it, all sorts), but I found my attention a bit all over the place. For me I had some discomfort during the extraction and implantation (creating the incisions was easily the most pleasant part) but I think that’s because I didn’t speak up soon enough and ask for them to re-numb the area. I would start to feel some discomfort and suffer through until it got to painful, where as I really should have spoken up as soon as I felt anything and they would have used more local anaesthetic as they did as soon as I said anything.

thanks!

yes i arrived today. now i'm in the hotel with my head looking weird without any hair.

thanks!

yes i arrived today. now i'm in the hotel with my head looking weird without any hair.

Haha, that bit freak me out the most. Seeing myself essentially bald. It's quite unsettling isn't it. :eek:

BTW, who is your coordinator?

my wife is with me and the best thing was her face expression when she saw me...

my coordinator is sema and she is really nice and friendly.

Lol. At least you had someone to keep you company. If I had to go out again I would definitely take someone with me. BTW, my contact was Sevinc, but I met Sema, she was lovely, your in good hands!

Day 24 - Thursday 3rd November

So not a huge amount to report, just over 3 weeks post surgery. From what I can see in the mirror (although not so visible in pictures), my hair is looking thinner which is clearly down to the shedding. Until last weekend I was washing my hair at home and putting the plug in the sink so I could see roughly how much I was shedding. However I'm now showering at the gym (only there to do very light cardio/walking) but it means I'm not able to get a good idea of how many hairs are shedding daily. Did see about 5 hairs on y pillow this morning though. I suspect I'll see a lot of shed in the next week. :mad:

As noted in another thread my recipient area is still quite numb and I have that feeling like I have something on my head. It's not too bad but sometimes I focus on it and then it seems more annoying, but it's certainly not stopping me going about my day. Donor area is all healed (at least visually) but its still quite sensitive (but not painful) and I feel that more when I lay down or rest my head on a pillow.

Pics are from yesterday (day 23) morning.

IMG_3952.thumb.jpg.07cc67d54a881cb4041d15e0c539389c.jpg

IMG_3951.thumb.jpg.29a37d7ac4f49afa4035328f90b136e6.jpg

IMG_3950.thumb.jpg.84d3a3f934d43e50b7e411521550bba7.jpg

IMG_3947.thumb.jpg.240f18090551f3d788be23ca765a50fd.jpg

Edited by JustJax

Hey JustJax

Looks like you are healing well. It does still look slightly red in some of the photos but perhaps this is the lighting as in others it doesn't look as bad.

Temple work looks amazing by the way.

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

Hey JustJax

Looks like you are healing well. It does still look slightly red in some of the photos but perhaps this is the lighting as in others it doesn't look as bad.

Temple work looks amazing by the way.

Thanks, I do love my temples. They were definitely my key priorities and I have to say they totally reframe my face and I have had a number of people say the new hairline makes me look younger. Redness is def there and its not just the lighting, but indoor shots do make it look darker that it is. Still can't help but background stress about the front density though. I know I've shredded a fair enough of hairs and that area def feels like its thinning out now, but it was patchy early on (although clinic advised the 'cracks' with seemingly little or no grafts was down to the swelling and expansion of the skin and would subsides) but its so hard not too worry and think the worse. Wish I could hibinate and wake up in 5-6 months once its grown back! ;)