2700 Grafts FUE - Tue 11th October 2016 - Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED Istanbul

JustJax

Looks great JustJax! If I have results like yours when I go to Erdogan in November I will be very pleased.

Quick question - did you have to stop using styling products for 6 months after surgery? My email from ASMED states:

"The usage of hairstyling products such as hair gel or cheratine fibre (for example: Toppik) can be used again once 6 months has passed following the surgery."

This sounds crazy excessive to me. I don't plan on wearing a buzz cut for 6 months after surgery so how am I supposed to go out without looking like an unkempt mess without using any sort of styling product? Surely a little bit of hair product can't hurt once the grafts are put in place? Did you go 6 months without styling your hair?

Looks great JustJax! If I have results like yours when I go to Erdogan in November I will be very pleased.

Quick question - did you have to stop using styling products for 6 months after surgery? My email from ASMED states:

"The usage of hairstyling products such as hair gel or cheratine fibre (for example: Toppik) can be used again once 6 months has passed following the surgery."

This sounds crazy excessive to me. I don't plan on wearing a buzz cut for 6 months after surgery so how am I supposed to go out without looking like an unkempt mess without using any sort of styling product? Surely a little bit of hair product can't hurt once the grafts are put in place? Did you go 6 months without styling your hair?

Thanks, funnily enough I saw a friend for lunch today and I hadn't seen him since maybe Feb/March and his first comments were about how great and thick the top of my hair looked.

As for hair products, I agree it does seem a little excessive and I know other clinics aren't as cautious, but with that said, I wanted to ensure I followed the clinics instructions to the letter so I did exactly that. However, a little workaround/hack is to mix Aloe Vera gel and almond oil (both of which are approved by Asmed) together and use that as a styling gel. The Aloe Vera goes a little stiff so the combo of the both together worked quite.

However, a little workaround/hack is to mix Aloe Vera gel and almond oil (both of which are approved by Asmed) together and use that as a styling gel. The Aloe Vera goes a little stiff so the combo of the both together worked quite.

Ah, that's a great tip, thanks! I'll make sure to talk to Dr. Erdogan about the styling products when I go but glad to have this as a backup option.

HairInspector, I also have booked in to visit Asmed in November, which date do you go?

I'm booked for November 7, what about you?

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon guys, here are my 10 month pics.

Got my friend to take the pics this month so finally have a decent shot of the back/donor area. Anyway, not sure if there is any noticeable change from last month. Density appears to be about the same, at least that's how it seems. TBH, I've kinda resigned myself to the fact that it might not improve beyond this. That would be disappointing but I've kinda made piece with it already. With that said, I do find myself toying up with the idea of having a small 2nd (maybe 750 grafts?) HT just to add further density if there isn't after further growth, but a) really don't want to go through the whole process again and b) really don't want to spend more money. It's also a big birthday for me next year so don't want to be in that ugly duckling/growth phase during that time. We'll see.

Anyway, pics, first 5 are dry with a little bit of product in my hair, although on checking the pics after I took them I can see it's still a little frizzy/fluffy looking and should have used more product for a neater look. Last one was wet hair combed straight after the shower.

46474D75-CB0C-48A0-AF45-03AB12544CB5.thumb.jpg.f2f9e8cefc7a8dbf3dabb0f23f8fc20a.jpg

3E1F9C36-6302-42F7-BB65-10F73D3667CA.thumb.jpg.a7e36776c987b0ea9f9012221b019b9b.jpg

E53EDC7F-A29C-4895-A04E-F9BA960EEBE7.thumb.jpg.49b4daa6bb6f7f847d8c50f3429b3e20.jpg

186FF97E-A9EA-4617-885F-F99ADBC594B9.thumb.jpg.e7dc21c405d9c6cbe342d3c588c6a3ec.jpg

2D49762A-E28A-4CE3-8949-BE3E1B4F45B5.thumb.jpg.804b39ba23d57d6171ce3b404547539d.jpg

AEEE688C-CFBE-4C0A-8105-535FB776FCD2.thumb.jpg.b1f4e322fcf73375bf4391b73cb6be8b.jpg

Hey Justjax, I hope you end up getting the results you're looking for. At what month did you notice the results not improving? I'm 4 months behind you and seeing you dissatisfied with the result makes me nervous for my result lol

Hey Justjax, I hope you end up getting the results you're looking for. At what month did you notice the results not improving? I'm 4 months behind you and seeing you dissatisfied with the result makes me nervous for my result lol

Hi Ponchik, i think it peaked around month 7, but I also did get quite good early growth which not everyone gets so I think you can't always compare.

BTW, I wouldn't label myself "dissatisfied", more that I hoped, perhaps naively, that the density would be in line with the rest of my hair (which TBH is actually quite thick). Don't get me wrong tho, I get nothing but compliments for those that know I've had it done, but I still sometimes find myself looking in the mirror picking out little flaws.

Edited by JustJax

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm at 10.5 months, wouldn't normally post pics mid month these days but I'm bored and I got a good haircut so I took some shots. :)

Only negative with the cut is that I went a bit too short at the back and it looks a little patchy maybe (they used a grade one, possibly shorter) but it grows super fast so it'll be fine within another 2-3 days and to be honest I don't really care. Should add that Light saturation in the pic of the back makes it appear harsher than it is. Anyway, actually considering a skin fade cut but not sure if that would make more or less obvious?

IMG_3058.thumb.jpg.2afd6fa935498785e5d31da97d0a6d44.jpg

IMG_3056.thumb.jpg.37ad89bc85b3b32ebbba5460b6d3c6a5.jpg

IMG_3059.thumb.jpg.377c6a5f907447f7b34dac6f9e418099.jpg

IMG_3060.thumb.jpg.91fba47c83c2334bba1fe8672b5998c9.jpg

IMG_3062.JPG.038f7b638aeb8f3daec97627e0993be1.JPG

Edited by JustJax

Awesome result! I think your donor area looks more patchy because of the lighting actually. I'm not seeing any noticeable scarring at this length and your previous 10 month pics make your donor look great. This is exactly the type of cut I plan on myself so happy to see it looks so good post-transplant.

Awesome result! I think your donor area looks more patchy because of the lighting actually. I'm not seeing any noticeable scarring at this length and your previous 10 month pics make your donor look great. This is exactly the type of cut I plan on myself so happy to see it looks so good post-transplant.

Thanks, I was standing in front of the window, probably should have just re-taken the picture. With that said, I think it's agreed that you can see (if you know what you are looking for) that the donor area hair has a slightly different density if you go too short. As I said it doesn't overly bother me as I've noticed people's hair much more since my HT and in have seen lots of guys with very short clippered hair and they have some unevenness which clearly is just natural and not a result of a HT.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for this thread, I have been reading it with interest.

Im just over 6 months since my 3200 Asmed procedure and have question.

I still have a sensation under my recipient area, its quite pleasant! Feels a bit like a compact tightness under my scalp (sorry its really hard to explain) but in a way it feels like its hairs that are still trying to find their way out onto my head - which I hope is the case.

Did you find you had this sensation and did you find it stopped once you thought around month 6 or 7 that all your transplanted hair had come through?

Im trying to work out if this feeling is a good thing as it means hairs are still to come through and once it starts to go then most of the hairs have come through.

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for this thread, I have been reading it with interest.

Im just over 6 months since my 3200 Asmed procedure and have question.

I still have a sensation under my recipient area, its quite pleasant! Feels a bit like a compact tightness under my scalp (sorry its really hard to explain) but in a way it feels like its hairs that are still trying to find their way out onto my head - which I hope is the case.

Did you find you had this sensation and did you find it stopped once you thought around month 6 or 7 that all your transplanted hair had come through?

Im trying to work out if this feeling is a good thing as it means hairs are still to come through and once it starts to go then most of the hairs have come through.

Thanks

Hey, I think I get what you’re talking about and if we’re on the same page, then I still get that a little. It’s kind of a tightness that you occasionally want to itch, or at least that’s what it feels like to me. Now at 6 months I’d say there is a very strong possibility it’s growth related. But it’s akaa hard to know as people vary greatly. I got really strong growth around months 4-6, but there are others on here that really didn’t see their hair growth kick in until 6 months and after. For me at 11 months I’m not 100% sure. It’s less pronounced so I switch between thinking it’s growth or just dry skin. It’s become hard to notice, but I think there has been a slight improvement in the last 2 months so maybe it is related to growth.

Hey, I think I get what you’re talking about and if we’re on the same page, then I still get that a little. It’s kind of a tightness that you occasionally want to itch, or at least that’s what it feels like to me. Now at 6 months I’d say there is a very strong possibility it’s growth related. But it’s akaa hard to know as people vary greatly. I got really strong growth around months 4-6, but there are others on here that really didn’t see their hair growth kick in until 6 months and after. For me at 11 months I’m not 100% sure. It’s less pronounced so I switch between thinking it’s growth or just dry skin. It’s become hard to notice, but I think there has been a slight improvement in the last 2 months so maybe it is related to growth.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah a tightness that you need to itch sounds about right, its not particularly unpleasant and I just hope it means things are going on under the scalp - as in more hairs are developing and finding their way out.

It would be nice if it eventually subsides but while I think it means things are still happening then I am happy for it to need the occasional itch.

• 2 weeks later...

So this past Wednesday was officially a year to the day I had my HT. Overall I am pretty happy with results and I love how it’s reframed my face and I am no longer self conscious if I get my hair wet or the wind is blowing. However I have some weaker spots that are obvious if you part the hair in those areas. They may still fill in a little as they say the hair can grow up to 18 months, but I don’t think they will at this point.

Density - day to day this looks fine when my hair is styled, but I do notice it looking like it’s thinning a little if I’m under harsh light (like those little recessed ceiling spot lights). To be fair, I realise now that my expectations around density were a little unrealistic. Obviously if you are transplanting hair into an area that had none, you aren’t going to have the same kind of density that you have else where and I guess this is why a good percentage of people go back and have a 2nd procedure.

2nd procedure - At this stage, I’m a bit unsure what to do. Part of me just wants to move on and not have to go through the physical and mental process of having a 2nd HT procedure, but on the flip side, having come this fair and paid out quite a bit of money, I’d like close this out and address the weak spots and increase the density further. Timing is another factor. Its my 50th Birthday next July and I of course want to be looking great for that so if I don’t have the 2nd surgery before Christmas, I’d want to leave it until next August/September instead.

What do you guys think?

FYI, In the pictures below, the last one is hair wet and combed back. Sides and back are clippered with a grade 1 so pretty short.

B4E2F7AA-431E-4CDB-BB16-0181D0B60BE4.thumb.jpg.8564ee90d70fbc19eaa8f41c91fc489e.jpg

B197F45F-084F-4AF0-A396-D57A1E964EAA.jpeg.8db101b0b1064ef4af6b243d98438381.jpeg

59870A3C-5486-4DE3-9A96-C235113C55B1.thumb.jpg.8d0a632bff6867b10ac8890b6d2531aa.jpg

54C77F63-8755-4D66-805C-3E4D802F349E.thumb.jpg.7ffb1ce40fd1ed21e61b642f585d3d00.jpg

B8F88045-0203-49B6-8282-32360C06FC39.thumb.jpg.663b4b208135f29cec6e4a780a849111.jpg

B9878CFA-2D0F-4F44-B654-189598AA51D1.thumb.jpg.fe6e47888c6c02fff4c15b043144806d.jpg

DA69344E-1F0B-4728-B67D-CA305167DFC8.thumb.jpg.f568558ac7b44e78655e2ac00f55143c.jpg

You mean your 20 th birthday. That was a typo, I am sure. This is a solid result, even though you were not in a bad-bad state when you began.

You should enjoy this new hair line and feel it's bliss for a while than being mechanical and going in for another procedure immediately. And, that you have your birthday as well, I guess it's a no brainier. Meanwhile, it will be good enough time for you to observe stuff that's gonna go on with your new hair, probable loss of some native hair and may be work out the kinks as well as densing it in your next procedure.

Enjoy!

Edited by MayiraP0chu

Anyone can be confident with a full head of hair. But a confident bald man - there's your diamond in the rough.

3444 Strip Grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187543-1-st-hair-transplant-strip-surgery-dr-radha-rani-complete-dossier.html

My Androgenic Alopecia Scrapbook

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/188027-hair-wars-may-follicles-you.html

Thanks for this update.

I think you hair looks great and at your age I woudnt have a transplant now, rather keep your donor bank for a future day.

If you need it in the future you will be gutted that you used it on a top up just to find a little bit more perfection.

On this point...

"Density - day to day this looks fine when my hair is styled, but I do notice it looking like it’s thinning a little if I’m under harsh light (like those little recessed ceiling spot lights). "

I am nearly at month 8 and find this too. I can see my scalp now under the same harsh light you describe in areas where I am sure I couldnt before the op.

So like the top centre of my head I now see scalp in certain lights, more so when my hair is wet.

Of course in the recipient area I see more scalp under harsh lights, I am hoping this gets a bit less as times goes on.

Hi Justjax,

You need to go to Specsavers my friend :D. Your result is fantastic, I would be very pleased. As for 50, have you found the fountain of youth? In all seriousness, super looking result. Been great reading your progress, good luck if you decide the 2nd HT is for you. I’m over in Asmed in the next few weeks, if I get 50% of what you’ve achieved I will be a happy bunny.

5024 grafts with Asmed Clinic. Dr Koray 25th & 26th Oct 2017

Those who spend their time looking for the faults in others usually make no time to correct their own. –Art Janak

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187649-countdown-my-hair-transplant.html

It looks like a great result and I will be happy if my results are on a par. It makes sense to wait the full 18 months before deciding to go again though, especially as Dr. Erdogan says you should expect your final result after 18 months. If you feel like going again and have the money then you should do as you please. It might be a relief just to get on with your life and forget about your hair for a bit though. Also I think you should bear in mind that as you wear your back and sides very short, another procedure might make the scars and lower density more visible. Anyway I still say congratulations are in order! And by the way thank you for the account of your experience!

Fantastic results, just read about 80% of your journey, and can honestly say, from where and what your started with, you have come a long way...your front hairline is like 2" further forward, and the density looks consistent with the rest (maybe slightly thinner toward the very front) but a great result after all....i could only imagine if you went on propecia or rogaine, the density would probably double. Overall how much of a cost difference is there from getting a HT in Turkey compared to US or UK? (percentage wise)? Great success and good luck in the future!

12/11/17 2500 FUE Grafts with Dr. Steven Gable

Awesome result mate. Can't believe that's been a year. I'm there myself next month, at the year point.

You're getting hair greed! :D:D You definitely don't need a second round!!;)

BTW everyone's hair is nearly see through under those lights!!:eek::eek::D

nothing else to do, you're HT is a 100% success .... ie night and day transformation from your before and after, a 2nd procedure would be overkill at this point ... you're still young and may have further hair loss of your native hair over the years, save your donor for that ... congrats

You mean your 20 th birthday. That was a typo, I am sure. This is a solid result, even though you were not in a bad-bad state when you began.

Haha, wish it was my 20th, but sadly def my 50th :D ..thanks for the good advice.

I am nearly at month 8 and find this too. I can see my scalp now under the same harsh light you describe in areas where I am sure I couldnt before the op. So like the top centre of my head I now see scalp in certain lights, more so when my hair is wet.

Of course in the recipient area I see more scalp under harsh lights, I am hoping this gets a bit less as times goes on.

I do wonder how much of this is us over thinking. Prob is I can't remember what it was looking at this area in harsh light before. :confused:

Hi Justjax,

You need to go to Specsavers my friend :D. Your result is fantastic, I would be very pleased. As for 50, have you found the fountain of youth? In all seriousness, super looking result. Been great reading your progress, good luck if you decide the 2nd HT is for you. I’m over in Asmed in the next few weeks, if I get 50% of what you’ve achieved I will be a happy bunny.

Lol, thanks, not sure about the fountain of youth .. genetically a little lucky, but HT and upper eye lid surgery helps :D:D:D

Good luck with your surgery, the whole team at Asmed are brilliant so you are in great hands.

hi your HT looks good, i think you need a small touch up. or maybe at 18 months it will look better

Yeah, general consensus seems to be I should wait, I think I will fly over at the 18 months mark (April 2018) to see Dr Koray and the team to see what they think.

It looks like a great result and I will be happy if my results are on a par. It makes sense to wait the full 18 months before deciding to go again though, especially as Dr. Erdogan says you should expect your final result after 18 months. If you feel like going again and have the money then you should do as you please. It might be a relief just to get on with your life and forget about your hair for a bit though. Also I think you should bear in mind that as you wear your back and sides very short, another procedure might make the scars and lower density more visible. Anyway I still say congratulations are in order! And by the way thank you for the account of your experience!

Thanks, agreed prob makes sense to wait the full 18 months. If I recall right, I think I was told I have around 8000 grafts available so still have a fair bit in the bank. To be honest if I had a 2nd procedure in the next 6-12 months, I wouldn't want more than 1000 grafts anyway.

Fantastic results, just read about 80% of your journey, and can honestly say, from where and what your started with, you have come a long way...your front hairline is like 2" further forward, and the density looks consistent with the rest (maybe slightly thinner toward the very front) but a great result after all....i could only imagine if you went on propecia or rogaine, the density would probably double. Overall how much of a cost difference is there from getting a HT in Turkey compared to US or UK? (percentage wise)? Great success and good luck in the future!

Glad my posts were useful. Dr Koray did a great job reframing my face. I think its only lowered about one inch, but doing the temples too has made a huge difference.

Cost wise, it can depend, but I would that my 2700 grafts would have cost me at least double in the UK. I paid about ?6500 with Asmed.

Awesome result mate. Can't believe that's been a year. I'm there myself next month, at the year point.

You're getting hair greed! :D:D You definitely don't need a second round!!;)

BTW everyone's hair is nearly see through under those lights!!:eek::eek::D

Hey Dolph, amazing how time has flown. I remember us PM'ing this time last year. Looking forward to seeing your pics. I guess it is a little hair greed, but I think I will go see Dr Koray next spring (when I hit 18 months) just to get his thoughts. Istanbul is only a reasonably short and cheap flight from London so can combine it with a nice long weekend in Istanbul . :cool:

nothing else to do, you're HT is a 100% success .... ie night and day transformation from your before and after, a 2nd procedure would be overkill at this point ... you're still young and may have further hair loss of your native hair over the years, save your donor for that ... congrats

Hey, thanks for the positive feedback, not sure I'm "still young" but I know what you mean. I am generally happy so I think for now I'll just relax and enjoy it.

I don't know any 50 year olds with hair as good as yours but can certainly see how a little extra density (25-30%) would make a huge difference. I tend to think that as long as its not a money issue you should get the touch up to get your hair issues off the mind and focus on more fulfilling pursuits.