After all the research how do you make the final decision. Seeking advice.

After months and months annnd months of research, the doctor...FUT or FUE,I know its an age old debate but for your own situation, how do/did you make the final decision and know that you made the right decision? I know most people would say get FUT until your donor is tapped then FUE to maximize donor. But i have seen so many mega FUE cases, how can that still be the case. I have been going back and forth with this in my mind for sometime now. I have done a ton of research and I know the decision is ultimately up to me but I'd really like and appreciate some help making this monumental decision. I would sincerely appreciate any opinions or advice. If that includes how you finally made your decision when you were torn.

A little history, I had a scalp reduction because of a scalp condition called CVG followed

by a HT of 1500 grafts in 2012. I am african american. 30 yrs old, Not on meds. Classified as norwood 4. I would like to lower the hairline, put some graftsin the crown as there is nothing there and then increase overall density. The scalp reduction

reduced the thinning areas so im confident my goals are reasonable

I have consulted with Dr. Diep, H&W, Dr. Bhatti and Dr. Rahal.

Heavily leaning towards Dr. Diep. I have seen some amazing work from Dr. Diep. especially coverage given the number of grafts. He absolutely had the most experience with AA hair that ive seen. Knows that you need to insert the hair at a different angle, even the difference in the hairline with other ethnicities

I also know he has taking some hits on his rep for post op care. And for some reason

the community here doesn't seem to embrace him like H&W or Rahal (why is that?). The only thing that concerns me is hit FUT scars. As I would like to wear my hair somewhat short. That is certainly achievable now but I would be willing to grow my hair out depending on the results. I actually buzz my hair all the way on the sides and back

down every time i get a haircut now (because nothing in the crown). Im sure the FUT scar noticeable, but not enough for anyone to say anything. I know the scar from 3500+ grafts could be much longer/worse?

Dr. Diep's results are mostly the recipient area, I can't find too many examples of

pencil thin scars. Like with Dr. Wong or Dr. Feller. The donor scars i have found kind of scare me, I don't know if its just me or not. Dr. Diep recommended 1500-2500 frontal area starting with a new lowered hairline. 1500-2000 for the crown.

Said he can only do 2000 grafts by FUE at once.

I dont want to make this too long but If I had to ask any questions they would be:

For you all who were torn between FUT vs FUE how did you choose FUE knowing you could get almost twice the coverage and better yield for the same price? or how did you choose FUT knowing your recovery would much longer, you would have much harder time trying to conceal your HT not only for ugly ducking stage but for life?

I'm not talking about in cases were it was a clear choice, but where it was a close decision.

How did you weigh the benefits vs. negatives for your situation?

Would you agree that i need 3500+ grafts to achieve my goals?

Based on my situation should i get FUE or FUT? Since I already have scars should i just go with another FUT, try to conceal the scar for now with dermatch, toppik..etc.. then look into FUE into scar or SMP at a later date? Or Just get 2 FUE procedures a year apart at twice the cost, including FUE into scar? Even though i really need grafts in the crown.

For a bit more context am able to take 2 months off from work, but not consecutively probably would have to got in for a few days

then back out. I am an avid gym goer, it is very important to my life.

Do you agree with my choice of doctor?

Do you have anything additional to add that I may not have considered?

crown2.thumb.jpg.f775d20c1f53a7b61e4e0696b730e8d9.jpg

scar.thumb.jpg.7bccee9b1c00475f6fe8fbae2e3484b6.jpg

top.jpg.3bac7e2de471504386f292cc72351733.jpg

top2.thumb.jpg.d2a30834fe90ebf1b745531b8d0c24e1.jpg

crown1.thumb.jpg.dbc7e2a34a0eb7502be0a2f5e4c9ffc2.jpg

5b32ef2709bdb_sideleft.thumb.jpg.dcbcd20501b7decc3f7bbf00f7ee2a92.jpg

top1.jpg.90b0ba26c8444d9b9cd7eaed80040675.jpg

• Administrators

I would say since you already have an FUT scar you might as well go FUT again, especially since it's cheaper, with that being said, I chose FUE and I went to Dr. Diep his FUE results are probably some of the best in the U.S. and he has an extensive track record working with African American hair.

Hair Forums are interesting because you have the same names mentioned by posters with no info. Never base your decision on lists provided by anonymous posters with no photos or firsthand experience, reach out to actual patients send them PM's gather information from them, look at video results from the doctors you're researching and that will help you narrow down the list. Once it's narrowed down I would advise to meet face to face with the doctors to hear their plan for you. Once you've done all this it will be much easier for you to choose which doctor and procedure best fits your needs as an individual.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Your hair characteristics allow for more coverage value per graft. Regardless of what you previously underwent, your donor resources should be assessed by an FUE expert with reconstructive surgery experience, because subsequent linear scarring will widen over a period of two years.

Attempting to lower the hairline should involve some precautionary measures. Areas in the donor can become too sparse and can shift the attention from the top (recipient) to the back (donor area). Research patient characteristics and measure the results most similar to what you are expecting. Your goals should be unique, and your expectations must be realistic as well.

In your consultative process since the scalp reduction, did you get any feedback on the size of the donor area and donor area density as well? Remember, the density is lowered after every surgical procedure and donor resources are finite as hair loss typically progresses to some extent.

Thanks for sharing.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

It sounds like you are referring to FUE only? Is this a recommendation for FUT?

I feel like my goals are pretty realistic, Dr. Diep also pretty confident of accomplishing them. I saw a video where Dr. Diep did a norwood 6 with FUE only using 2,000 something grafts and still got some coverage.

I am not sure of my density characteristics but CVG is a condition in which you have alot of extra skin. So scalp laxity should not be an issue for FUT, I am not sure about FUE I will inquire though. If i were to get say 4,000 grafts and receive a good result then lose all of my remaining non transplanted hair, that would already be enough hair. The area i need to cover I dont believe is really that big.

Thank you for responding.

I would say since you already have an FUT scar you might as well go FUT again, especially since it's cheaper, with that being said, I chose FUE and I went to Dr. Diep his FUE results are probably some of the best in the U.S. and he has an extensive track record working with African American hair.

Hair Forums are interesting because you have the same names mentioned by posters with no info. Never base your decision on lists provided by anonymous posters with no photos or firsthand experience, reach out to actual patients send them PM's gather information from them, look at video results from the doctors you're researching and that will help you narrow down the list. Once it's narrowed down I would advise to meet face to face with the doctors to hear their plan for you. Once you've done all this it will be much easier for you to choose which doctor and procedure best fits your needs as an individual.

Go for FUT again even though the scar could be much worse, is that not a big gamble? I am already convinced Dr. Diep is absolutely one if not the best for African American hair. I have watched nearly every one of his videos and I am amazed. I have read ever thread on here and on real self I could find. Just not necessarily sold on his ability to produce a good FUT scar, I did see one example where the it was a fabulous scar but ive also seen others where that doesnt appear to be the case. I have reached out to a patient before but that was FUE, I will see if i can find more people to reach out to. But it'll be near impossible for me to see these doctors in person before the procedure. I did do a skype consultation with Dr. Diep.

Thanks your response.