spex

The Importance of The Hairline

i am siding with those who say the crown is just as important as the hairline and on myself the crown bothers me at least as much as the front does.

hairline of course more important than crown because you can use some topic on crown.

No. You can't use topic on a bald crown. There is a big difference between a bit of thinning in a small area on your crown and a large completely bald crown.

The hairline is everything, prospective patients need to realize this

Said by someone who is a NW 3a and doesn't have crown loss. I wonder if you would feel the same if you were a NW 5 or 6.

It's so easy to say you're not concerned about losing hair in your crown when you haven't lost any hair there. It's even worse when you tell others what areas of hair loss they should or shouldn't be concerned about on themselves. Let people decide for themselves what bothers them or doesn't bother them. Some people just shave their heads and say even frontal loss doesn't matter to them anymore. Does that mean nobody should ever have a hair transplant because someone decided to shave their own head and is OK with it?

i am siding with those who say the crown is just as important as the hairline and on myself the crown bothers me at least as much as the front does.

No. You can't use topic on a bald crown. There is a big difference between a bit of thinning in a small area on your crown and a large completely bald crown.

Said by someone who is a NW 3a and doesn't have crown loss. I wonder if you would feel the same if you were a NW 5 or 6.

It's so easy to say you're not concerned about losing hair in your crown when you haven't lost any hair there. It's even worse when you tell others what areas of hair loss they should or shouldn't be concerned about on themselves. Let people decide for themselves what bothers them or doesn't bother them. Some people just shave their heads and say even frontal loss doesn't matter to them anymore. Does that mean nobody should ever have a hair transplant because someone decided to shave their own head and is OK with it?

If you don't take care of the hairline then the crown will be moot. Unfortunately, the crown doesn't frame the face and so keeping any length of hair you have back there or place back there will still look like you're balding cosmetically, or rocking a combover.

Addressing the hairline above the crown is not saying the crown is irrelevant, it's simply prioritizing what is surgically more important to address, it's a trade off someone with advanced hairloss has to consider if their donor isn't able to give them full scalp coverage.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Thanks for the input!

Regards

Spex

Visit my website : www.spexhair.com 

You can read my regular columns for The Telegraph and The Huffington Post, Apetogentleman and Vitabiotics via my site and you'll find a great deal out about me and the industry there! 

I am patient advisor for The Harley St Hair Clinic, Dr. Scott Alexander, Dr. William Lindsey and Dr. Tejinder Bhatti. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. I am salaried by all the surgeons I represent.

Bump for new readers

Regards

Spex

You can read my regular columns for The Telegraph and The Huffington Post, Apetogentleman and Vitabiotics via my site and you'll find a great deal out about me and the industry there! 

I am patient advisor for The Harley St Hair Clinic, Dr. Scott Alexander, Dr. William Lindsey and Dr. Tejinder Bhatti. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. I am salaried by all the surgeons I represent.

Bump for new readers 😎

Regards

Spex