HELP!!!!! I picked some grafts. Can doctor see under microscope?

Will picking or pulling a graft at day 6 or 7 leave behind a bulb for hair to grow?  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So i had a hair transplant of 2192 grafts on Monday, Aug 29. Almost all were on the front of my head, temples, sides, etc. A few were placed in the back of my head where I am thinning in just a few spots. Last night, Sunday was six days later. I was scratching what I thought was just dried blood. As far as I know, only one graft came out. There was no bleeding but definitely a graft. I am very OCD and picked around on some dried bloody spots, mostly trying to not touch the graft or follicles. This went on for 15 minutes. But I am wondering if the bulb or whatever will make the hair grow fastest will stay in the head at day 6.5 if the graft is pulled out. I was pulling out what i thought was dried blood so it was pulling more than picking with fingernails. Again, i dont recall any blood. Please give me your best advice. I am done picking or pulling back there. Also, please don't be rude if respond! Thanks so much, BEN

Justhadtransplant,

Typically if a graft is pulled out or broken off at this point, the follicle has not been injured. These grafts should regrow like normal. We always advise not to pick the grafts or pull on them even up to two weeks just to lower the risk of permanently damaging hairs.

In your case, I would suspect that either the follicle had just broken off and you were looking at a bit of dried blood or skin that looked like a bulb of the follicle. Otherwise, occasionally a graft during placement may be lying on top of the scalp and not in the incision. This graft may just be trapped under a scab until it is removed by water or the hand. This graft is of course not going to grow.

Usually, if there is no fresh blood seen with a graft during the first week, then the graft was not pulled out. Actually is is quite difficult to pull out a graft after 6 days. In the clinic here at Shapiro Medical, we removed a few grafts from a patient who had been at another clinic. The patient just wanted a few grafts removed to help make the hairline more natural. The grafts after this time did come out, but were very tightly adhered already. Also, the resulting hole did bleed for a few minutes.

So i had a hair transplant of 2192 grafts on Monday, Aug 29......one graft came out..... Also, please don't be rude if respond!

Let's assume the worst - you pulled it totally out = root and all.

Let's also assume you had a procedure that will yield 94% growth. That means best case is that 2060 grafts will grow and mature - minus the one you yanked out. So that's now 2059. The percentile difference between 2060 and 2059 in incredibly negligible and the end result will be totally the same to the human eye. Of course, this is assuming you did actually remove the entire follicle.

I would advise that you rest easy and forget about the graft - unless of course you gave it a name.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.