Any Leaps in Hair Transplant Technology?

Advanced in technology would be nice, but today all you need are skilled surgeons.

I've read up on this:

Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation is the ultimate hair transplant procedure.

Quote from that page:

"Ultra refined follicular unit grafting raises the bar for physicians and their staff. This delicate and demanding hair transplant procedure requires more skill and careful attention to be performed properly. The smaller and more tightly packed incisions require more closely dissected follicular unit grafts that are carefully trimmed under microscopes. These small and densely packed incisions are also more difficult to place the grafts into."

Here's an interesting thought:

I do believe people with money can get the best surgeons to perform the transplant. And that they also do the ALL work that the technicians (who usually place the grafts in) would do. What I'm trying to say is that hire only skilled 'surgeons' (a team of surgeons) instead to do the work. Because I think that the technicians somewhere sometimes can do sloppy work.

Advanced in technology would be nice, but today all you need are skilled surgeons.

I've read up on this:

Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation is the ultimate hair transplant procedure.

Quote from that page:

"Ultra refined follicular unit grafting raises the bar for physicians and their staff. This delicate and demanding hair transplant procedure requires more skill and careful attention to be performed properly. The smaller and more tightly packed incisions require more closely dissected follicular unit grafts that are carefully trimmed under microscopes. These small and densely packed incisions are also more difficult to place the grafts into."

Here's an interesting thought:

I do believe people with money can get the best surgeons to perform the transplant. And that they also do the ALL work that the technicians (who usually place the grafts in) would do. What I'm trying to say is that hire only skilled 'surgeons' (a team of surgeons) instead to do the work. Because I think that the technicians somewhere sometimes can do sloppy work.

The problem with ultra refined follicular grafts is that you still run into the same 2 traditional problems encountered with any hair transplant technique. The first being shock loss and the second the risk that the grafts might not grow. Even though I agree that it may still increase your chances of getting a good transplant relative to the old dinosaur techniques of the 80s and 90s, skill alone still DOES NOT remove these risks. Technology, not skill necessarily, will most likely provide a patch against these issues.

That said, the question now is who are the best surgeons?

• Moderators
today all you need are skilled surgeons.

Wrong. If you are looking for thick, dense hair like he asks, you are not going to get it no matter how good the Dr is unless you only have minor hair loss to begin with (but if that was the case there's no need to be asking about new technology to get you there). If you are going to end up a NW 7 with thinning donor area, it does not matter how good the Dr is. You are going to lose the transplanted hair and will never have enough to even get light coverage, since you don't even have enough to get coverage in just the donor area.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Wrong. If you are looking for thick, dense hair like he asks, you are not going to get it no matter how good the Dr is unless you only have minor hair loss to begin with (but if that was the case there's no need to be asking about new technology to get you there). If you are going to end up a NW 7 with thinning donor area, it does not matter how good the Dr is. You are going to lose the transplanted hair and will never have enough to even get light coverage, since you don't even have enough to get coverage in just the donor area.

I don't disagree with you and 'glenalm.' But we are talking about what we could do {today}.

If you or anyone can point out to what our future holds in this field, please do. I'd be happy to educate myself.

Edited by coolhairstyle002

If you are going to end up a NW 7 with thinning donor area, it does not matter how good the Dr is. You are going to lose the transplanted hair and will never have enough to even get light coverage, since you don't even have enough to get coverage in just the donor area.

Exactly! Unfortunately current technology isn't sophisticated enough to completely counter the ill effects of genetic programming, even with some early successes with gene therapy in certain medical conditions, for example. Like I said, technology is the only missing link that will have to provide a solution to these problems in areas like deep balding where skill will most likely fail.

It really depends on how much hair loss you are experiencing however, if you are fully bald, the only real way to mimic the density of a 20-year-old with a full head of hair would be a sophisticated hairpiece, typically called something different bought at the end of the day, it's still artificial hair and not and you're not really growing hair. Hair transplant surgery has come along way and can do wonders however, hair transplant surgery is still a case of supply and demand. Regrettably, there's a lot less supply then demand for those with advanced balding.

Best wishes,

Bill

IHair transplant surgery has come along way and can do wonders however, hair transplant surgery is still a case of supply and demand. Regrettably, there's a lot less supply then demand for those with advanced balding.

l

Among other issues like shock loss.

waiting for cloning.. and I bet I'll still be waiting in ten years ha..

They already have cloning. But not yet available to the public. Sadly, one of the biggest hurdles new medical tech has to overcome is the stupid FDA regulations and compliance standards. Assessing the risks, safety, research, finding the right amount of dosage, etc, are requirements the FDA is infamous for employing which delay crucial, much needed medication to the general public. From what I read, the FDA is more about politics than safety. Thats another obstacle to keep mindful of.

Edited by glenalm