Dutasteride

Darkhorse23

Hi Darkhorse,

I haven't used it but noticed nobody had yet answered. I do know however lots of men use dutasteride (also known as Avodart) for hairloss - some instead of finasteride or when they feel finasteride is no longer working for them.

Like finasteride, side effects are fairly uncommon but can involve erectile dysfunction, watery semen, gynecomastia and some men also report a sort of "brain fog". However these side effects are not present and can nearly always be stopped or reduced by either coming off the drug or reducing the dosage.

Dutasteride is slightly more potent than finasteride in that it inhibits two types of 5ar, where finasteride only inhibits one. This is thought to make it slightly more effective than finasteride, but it may also be slightly more likely to produce side effects - the likelihood would still be statistically low, however.

Thanks Mahhong. I think i'm going stick to Rogaine, and Nizoral shampoo. I love having hair but i love being able to enjoy sexual gratification more. My hair is extremely important though, especially for the industry i'm trying to get into(Acting), so hair transplants will be in my future, and i'm at peace with that.

Sounds good! It is worth saying that sexual dysfunction is pretty rare with finasteride and dutasteride. The internet probably makes it sound a lot more common than it is - official studies put sexual side effects at somewhere between 1-3% of people using the drugs, anecdotally it may be a bit higher than that, but still maybe only around 5-8% (and that's very unscientific, just a general judgement based on forums such as these).

However a lot of men choose not to take the drug, either because they're worried about about side effects or have experienced them whilst trying the drug. Some men find they can take a lower dosage and have benefit to their hair without experiencing sides and that may be worth considering.

Rogaine and Nizoral are both effective treatments too, so it's good to stick with them (though generally speaking people see the best results using them in conjunction with an anti-DHT medication). Hair transplantation is obviously a very effective solution to hair loss too, just bear in mind you may continue to lost hair even after a transplant (whether you're on medication or not), so you may need several or more transplants to meet your goals and there is always a risk you may need more transplants than your donor would allow over the fullness of time. Finasteride and dutasteride usually halt or slow hair loss down a lot over the course of decades, so they remain the best way to reduce further loss whilst having transplants to deal with any current loss. However, many men successfully restore their hair without these drugs - ultimately the choice on how best to proceed is down to you!

I've honestly never used it but I know I considered it. It's stronger than finasteride and blocks of type one and type 2 5 alpha reductase enzymes, blocking the production of even more DHT. But with a stronger DHT blocker comes the possibility of more side effects. I stopped using finasteride not because of side effects but because I didn't like the idea of using finasteride for the rest of my life. Now given that I have is finasteride for about four years or so and have an experienced any additional hair loss, i'm not convinced that finasteride was ever working for me. That said, it does wonders for many people and if it's working well for you, you may be an even better responder to dutasteride.

Best wishes,

Bill

My biggest regret is that I didn't start finasteride sooner.

Have you thought of microdosing? Instead of taking 7mg a week take 2mg?

No body wants to take a pill the rest of their life. I brush my teeth 2 times a day. Ok, most of the time it's once. Best of luck!

I recently switched to avodart form fin, as I to feel fin was getting less effective was on it 5 years, I feel that dut is stronger, I find it difficult getting and maintaining an erection, I will prob stop it soon, I'd rather be bald than have no man hood

I recently switched to avodart form fin, as I to feel fin was getting less effective was on it 5 years, I feel that dut is stronger, I find it difficult getting and maintaining an erection, I will prob stop it soon, I'd rather be bald than have no man hood

I sincerely hope something better comes along to help with hair restoration that doesn't screw up your sex drive. Propecia and avodart both seem to do this. The whole point of men trying to save their hair is look more sexually attractive so they can get sex. Keeping your hair via drugs, to be more attractive to women, but then you can't even enjoy sex defeats the purpose.

I sincerely hope something better comes along to help with hair restoration that doesn't screw up your sex drive. Propecia and avodart both seem to do this. The whole point of men trying to save their hair is look more sexually attractive so they can get sex. Keeping your hair via drugs, to be more attractive to women, but then you can't even enjoy sex defeats the purpose.

I think surgery is the only way tbh mate, but even then your ganna need about 40k in the bank because your still going to be losing hair in your lifetime

I will try Dutasteride 0.5mg soon, its not approved for hairloss where i live but im going on a vacation soon and will pick up some Dutasteride in Philippines where it is sold over the counter, prescription not required. According to this page serious side effects seemed to resolve during treatment or after stopping: The Battle of the Hairy Century! Finasteride vs. Dutasteride - News - Sara Wasserbauer MD

I will try Dutasteride 0.5mg soon, its not approved for hairloss where i live but im going on a vacation soon and will pick up some Dutasteride in Philippines where it is sold over the counter, prescription not required. According to this page serious side effects seemed to resolve during treatment or after stopping: The Battle of the Hairy Century! Finasteride vs. Dutasteride - News - Sara Wasserbauer MD

Let me know how 0.5 mg works for you. Btw how do you take 0.5 mg, do you have to cut it up?

Let me know how 0.5 mg works for you. Btw how do you take 0.5 mg, do you have to cut it up?

I was somehow under the impression that it was available in 0.5mg but maybe not, i guess they use 2.5mg for prostate patients so that could be the only available dosage.

Generic Dutasteride is available in tablets and can be divided, but if they have only capsules its ok to take 2.5mg every 5 days, Dutasteride has so long halflife that it makes no significant difference.

I could post back here but having used Finasteride previously (6 month period) i know that results come very slow and gradual, it will take months before theres anything to report. Finasteride of around 1mg or less per day did give me some regrowth so i know theres potential, the additional inhibitor of Dutasteride may or may not make a significant difference, im curious to find out but sadly the only reliable success stories with Dutasteride i found online are about completely halting the hairloss but with no noticeable regrowth even after 6 years on Dut.

This is must-read for those considering Dut, these guys have no agenda to separate you from your money: Twins Hair Loss | Stop Thinning Hair Loss | Dutasteride

By the way, im not too worried about sexual side effects on Dut, if anything my sexual ability improved on Finasteride. I still suffer from lower sperm volume but one of my pretty friends got pregnant the first time we slept together, that was when i was taking Fin, and another girl claimed i had made her pregnant a few months after that again, why care about volume when the concentration and efficiency is ok.

edit: I say this to present my personal evidence that low sperm volume doesnt mean lower fertility, Asian men will want to know since firing blanks is very shameful there, youre no man if you cant produce babies in Southeastasia and my experience is that low sperm volume is no cause for concern in that regard.

Edited by plunke

one of my pretty friends got pregnant the first time we slept together, that was when i was taking Fin, and another girl claimed i had made her pregnant a few months after that again.

Potent guy, so how are the kids doing?

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Stop the personal crap guys. I respect you two disagree with my opinions but acting like hurt little girls should be below anyones standards. Stick to the topic and dont show any weird interest in my personal and financial life. Just disregard my previous comment and use this instead:

"Despite reduced sperm volume caused by Finasteride my reproductive ability was proven to be adequate in 2 separate cases."

I love having hair but i love being able to enjoy sexual gratification more.

I wish we knew more about the circumstances for the discontinuation of Finasteride in Sweden, how tightly was Fin tied to permanent erectile dysfunction, its not like Swedish guys who are not on Fin cant have ED, and how old were the victims? How sexually capable were these men before they started on Fin and whos to say they wouldnt have gotten ED the next year no matter what?

We cant know for sure that Fin was the sole cause, and we cant know how it affects a 50 year old white male compared to lets say a 23 year old black guy. What we do know is that none went impotent in the study i linked to earlier, not from Fin and not from Dut. The more i reflect upon it the less i worry, there are millions of ED victims who never touched a Fin or Dut and we still didnt find anyone on Dut who got ED the minute he touched it and never recovered.

Between this very moment and 5 years from now a lot of men will get ED, some of them will be using Dut but most of them will not, all of them will have eaten potatoes but noone will rally to blame the potato. Ok thats too much, i stop here.

Has anyone had a positive experience with regrowth of hair by adding Dutasteride to an existing regiment of daily Finasteride 2.5mg?

I have been taking Finasteride for years now and am considering adding Dutasteride....has anyone done this before and found it to be beneficial?

How long you been on Fin & do you feel its still doing the job?

If the answer is yes then my advice would be to stick to what is maintaining your MPB.

I have been taking Finasteride for over ten years....I do feel it is maintaining my remaining hair. I am wondering if adding Dutasteride would help regrow hair

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I would stick with the fin. Risk of shedding and other bad side effects by changing meds.