Results: Clinical Investigation comparing FUT vs FUE

The work of a respected physician in our field, Dr. Michael L Beehner, may provide the most objective data yet comparing the yield of grafts using follicular unit transplantation (FUT) versus follicular unit extraction (FUE).

While I still believe that there are numerous methods not used in his investigation to optimize growth, the effort to minimize the number of variables that may influence survival rates of grafts was considerable. Ultimately, it’s important that physicians are proficient in both methods (FUT and FUE) in order to provide patients with unbiased and objective information regarding both methods of surgical hair restoration.

FUTvsFUE.jpg

FUTvsFUE2.jpg

• Like 1

interesting article.ohh this is gonna kick up a storm haha..

the thing that sticks out to me is hes only done 90 fue surgery over a 8 year period and calls himself an average or just above average fue surgeon.so of course the skill is not yet mastered for him as for a seasoned fue doctor who is performing a lot more cases a year,hence the low transection rate for fue in this case.

it would be interesting if we see someone who exclusively does fue, year in year out and does a study about he's percentages he and hes team produce and see the difference between this study and theirs.hopefully one day we will get past all this sales pitch style we see today and just talk numbers because at the end of the day numbers never lie.

thanks for sharing that doc.

Yes I agree this study is interesting. Definitely more studies are needed by different surgeons who have extensive experience with using both procedures regularly.

Thank you for presenting this study. It would be interesting to see a similar study from other surgeons who specialize more in the follicular unit extraction method where as I suspect the data may be different. There is no doubt that coalition member Dr. Mike Beehner is incredibly proficient with FUT. But there are other surgeons who have much less experience and skill related to strip surgery and much more with FUE and thus, I suspect data will look very different in their hands.

Skill and experience plays a major role in obtaining data and how accurate it might be. Data produced by one surgeon really mostly proves that The data is relevant in their operating room. But because there are so many variables to consider, I don't know that if any real 100% objective study is even possible let alone will ever be provided. Even patient variables are a factor.

One thing I will say is that it does appear that there are a lot more standardized techniques and tools with strip surgery than FUE. A single blade scalpel for harvesting the donor strip, microscopic dissection, custom blades or needles ranging between .6 and 1.2 mm are pretty standard for recipient sites depending on the size of the graft(s), etc. But with FUE, nobody can decide on a standardized piece of equipment to harvest follicular units. There are dozens and dozens of tools to choose from and many physicians have even designed their own with patents. Also, while each tool has its pros and cons, some tools may work better in one surgeons hands than another.

Variables, variables and more variables is what her transplant surgery is all about. Thankfully, highly esteemed surgeons Like Dr. Wesley and Dr.Beehner work hard to overcome any hurdles and provide outstanding, natural looking results for their patients.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for sharing, Dr Wesley. I read this article earlier this month and thought Dr Beehner did a great job. And I think no matter where you fall in the "debate" his efforts need to be acknowledged.

And it's great to have some objective data regarding this subject. What's more, I think Dr Beehner really went out of his way to standardize the experiment and reduce variables as much as possible. Surgical research has been plagued by variations in human operators for decades, but he did an excellent job trying to minimize bias in all forms.

Another thing I like is that the primary investigator -- IE Dr Beehner -- doesn't really have any conflicting interests here. Just like it was tough to accept the findings of the doctors hired by Phillip Morris in the 1950s who claimed Marlboro cigarettes didn't cause cancer, it's tough to believe FUE has equivalent yield if the researchers who conducted the experiments own significant stock in robotic FUE companies or profit from the sale of FUE tools. Dr Beehner has decades of experience with all forms of hair surgery and he has the capability to offer both FUE and FUT. Obviously some have more experience with FUE and it would be interesting to hear their thoughts on the manner, but I think a doctor who can offer both, does perform both, and has no financial gain from recommending one above another is a fair and impartial experimenter here.

And his findings are consistent with what I've personally seen and with conversations I've had with numerous doctors in private (including some who have done lots and lots of FUE).

And I think your closing line touches on the most important point here: doctors should be proficient in both, properly inform patients of the pros and cons of both (and obviously FUT has it's own set of positives and negatives too), and offer FUE and FUT when appropriate.

Again, thanks for sharing and participating in important hair restoration related research!

• Like 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

First of all, performing 90 FUE surgeries over an 8 year period hardly illustrates dedication to a field of study. Contrast these 90 FUE surgeries with the total amount of time, energy, innovation and dedication that an experienced FUE practitioner has put into improving the FUE technique. Malcolm Gladwell stated that 10,000 hours can turn anyone into an expert within a field of study. Perhaps this time period is not exactly accurate. What is true, however, is that practice makes perfect and the more one practices something, the better he or she gets at it. Once again, it would be interesting to see the same study conducted by one of the founders of the World FUE Institute. The FUT yield from the study also seems surprisingly low in 3 out of the 4 cases (83%, 87.3%, and 76%).

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I will say is that it does appear that there are a lot more standardized techniques and tools with strip surgery than FUE. A single blade scalpel for harvesting the donor strip, microscopic dissection, custom blades or needles ranging between .6 and 1.2 mm are pretty standard for recipient sites depending on the size of the graft

Nice.

And them our good friend Mania1 writes

I will say is that it does appear that there are a lot more standardized techniques and tools with strip surgery than FUE hair transplant in Dubai. A single blade scalpel for harvesting the donor strip, microscopic dissection, custom blades or needles ranging between .6 and 1.2 mm are pretty standard for recipient sites depending on the size of the graft

So...mania1 steals Bill's dialogue and then ADDS the FUE in Dubai LINK to it. This guy is a real piece of work. Every post he makes is non-sequiter drivel and now he finally exposes himself further with his link to FUE in Dubai. Go ahead and look at his profile and look at his posts. Pathetic.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

The solutions in which the transplanted hair follicles are stored when out of the body can have a profound impact on the ultimate procedural result. Here is a an example of a patient who had two FUT ("strip") procedures at a different surgical practice in NY before having an FUE session with our group. Clearly, his results and graft survival were not consistent with the findings of this investigation.

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

And I think your closing line touches on the most important point here: doctors should be proficient in both, properly inform patients of the pros and cons of both (and obviously FUT has it's own set of positives and negatives too), and offer FUE and FUT when appropriate.

I appreciate doctors sharing information like this but I'm looking for a master not a Jack of all trades. Diversification is only to protect yourself. If something is a sure bet you go all in.

The solutions in which the transplanted hair follicles are stored when out of the body can have a profound impact on the ultimate procedural result. Here is a an example of a patient who had two FUT ("strip") procedures at a different surgical practice in NY before having an FUE session with our group. Clearly, his results and graft survival were not consistent with the findings of this investigation.

Wow...fantastic result! You are right Dr. Wesley, there are SO many variables from graft handling in between harvesting and transplantation, to punch size, to surgeon skill, to FUE extraction tool used, etc. that it would be very hard to have a true study of FUT to FUE. That said, thanks for posting the results of at least one surgeon who at least gave it a try.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the interesting paper. It seems reasonable that you would damage the follicle, in addition to dormant follicles around it, with the individual punches.

Are there any other recent studies comparing the two techniques head-to-head that anyone is aware of?

Obviously as has been pointed out, specific surgeon experience with the two approaches is key, so was wondering if other surgeons had been as forthcoming with their data.

Thanks for the interesting paper. It seems reasonable that you would damage the follicle, in addition to dormant follicles around it, with the individual punches.

Are there any other recent studies comparing the two techniques head-to-head that anyone is aware of?

Obviously as has been pointed out, specific surgeon experience with the two approaches is key, so was wondering if other surgeons had been as forthcoming with their data.

SMG were, or are, doing a study where patients have half fue and half FUT. There's a thread on it somewhere. Maybe we will see the one year results at the next ISHRS conference.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day