Using a hot compress to reduce redness in recipient area?

I had a FUE done by Dr. Erdogan of the ASMED Clinic about a month ago and have been documenting my experience here.

I still have significant redness in the recipient area and I have been wondering... people often use hot compresses to treat bruises. The heat stimulates bloodflow which helps the bruise vanish more quickly. So I'm wondering if anyone here has any comments or thoughts on what effect a hot compress might have on redness in the recipient area? Good idea or bad?

I've just emailed my coordinator at ASMED and will share here their response to this question as well.

I don't think it would in the long run as its damaged skin rather than bruising, the hot water may actually dry it out and make it worse.

If you want to try something, you'd be better off moisturising an hour or so before you take a shower daily. Just applying oils like olive oil, rosehip oil and etc.

I have read that many have applied aloe vera gel and distilled with hazel to the recipient area to combat the redness. I never used anything apart from vitamin E oil for the first week post op, but my redness lasted for nearly 2 months - it takes a long time to go away for some!

I don't think it would in the long run as its damaged skin rather than bruising, the hot water may actually dry it out and make it worse.

If you want to try something, you'd be better off moisturising an hour or so before you take a shower daily. Just applying oils like olive oil, rosehip oil and etc.

True, the heat may irritate the skin. I guess I wondered if there were benefits to stimulating blood flow. I will try using some oils to moisturize!

I have read that many have applied aloe vera gel and distilled with hazel to the recipient area to combat the redness. I never used anything apart from vitamin E oil for the first week post op, but my redness lasted for nearly 2 months - it takes a long time to go away for some!

Yeah I'm already using aloe vera and sometimes witch hazel, just trying to accelerate this somehow...

I agree and have never suggested to patients to apply heat to an area that is still red or inflamed. You may want to try cooling the Aloe Vera or Vit. E oil before applying to affected area. Time is probably the best thing for removal of redness but I understand that everyone would just like a way to make it happen sooner.

I agree and have never suggested to patients to apply heat to an area that is still red or inflamed. You may want to try cooling the Aloe Vera or Vit. E oil before applying to affected area. Time is probably the best thing for removal of redness but I understand that everyone would just like a way to make it happen sooner.

Thanks Dr. Charles. Would you even recommend occasionally applying an icepack to the recipient area?

No I do not recommend putting ice directly on recipient area. It can cause vasoconstriction and possibly decrease the blood flow to the grafts.

Thank you, I understand this would be a critical error, especially early on. I'm almost five weeks post-op, still risky?

I guess for now I'll stick to aloe vera and ritual sacrifices to the hair deities.