Thinking of getting Graft/FUE

Hi so I've had an uneven receding hair line which began at about 18 (probably earlier), I'm 25 now. The funny thing is that my hair loss has slowed down a lot since about 21 years old, I'm guessing its from the Accutane I was on when I was about 16 years old (lossing hair is supposedly a side effect).

Ive been on Rogaine, fin and Nizoral for about 6 months and although it helps it doesnt do near enough.

Besides having an increase in bad hair days, lossing my hair doesnt bother me near as much as being totally unphotogenic from my uneven receding hair line. I'm not really an ugly guy in real life and my hair loss isnt really noticable really but in photos it is really noticable and its really annoying, I always try to avoid photos and it sucks when you have older bro's or cousins and friends getting married all the time lol. They even understand when I try to avoid photos!

Anyway I have a few of questions

I'm from Melbourne, Australia. Can I get any recommendations on where I can find a good Grafter around here, I definately want to go to the best I possibly can when it comes to this. Also I was quickly browsing the forum and came across someone who mentioned Dr.Damkerng Pathomvanich in Bangkok. Would it work out cheaper, the same, slightly more expensive, a lot more expensive, etc. for me if, for example, I travel to Bangkok and get it done. Would the procedure be cheaper there than in Australia?

Also I've attached some pictures of my hair, my hairs a little messed in the pics but I think they are good enough to get an idea of where I'm at...Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost me? I think I'd need some where around 1 and a half inches of hair on my right side and about 1 cm on my left side

And can you get Grafting on the Temples too?

I really really appeciate any help I can get, thanks.

Hair5.jpg.9fca1202df14cf73d7cb33aa6cdd21eb.jpg

Sorry I don't have any answers to where the best HT surgeons are close to where you are, but from looking at your pictures, your hair loss isn't too bad. It is a bit similar to my hair loss, and I ended up getting 1500 graphs. Of course you can get graphting on your temples.

I checked up on National Hair Institute in Australia and they seem very expensive. You might also want to give a call to New Hair Clinic and ask about the price of about 1500 graphs. Then call the Bangkok doctor, factor in the round trip plane ticket, and make your decision. You can also search for each doctor's last name on this forum or on google to get their reviews. Hope this helps.

S777-

From the description you give of the time frame of your hair loss, and especially the fact that your hair loss "has slowed down a lot since about 21 years old" leads me to believe that your experience was one of a normal maturation of your hairline which occurs in all males around the years you describe. That is a completely different entity not related to DHT-induced hair loss, or male pattern baldness.

It's difficult to assess just how "uneven" your hairline actually is, as I don't believe you've uploaded a frontal view.

Do your research (this is an excellent resource, the HTN), and, as it is a big investment, geographic location should not necessarily limit your decision, though I realize "down under" is a bit further away than most-(Having been on that flight from the U.S. and back, I know....).

Hopefully you can get a frontal shot up so we can be of further help-

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Thanks for the replies guys

@Dr. Timothy Carman I posted a frontal view in my first post. I've also attached it to this post. About normal maturation of my hairline, I'm pretty sure its not that. I've actually got 1 hair that is left over from where my hair line used to be, I've put a dot on my picture to show where it is

Hair5..jpg.c595a8fbfa042d7e137da96b6c667557.jpg

Originally posted by S777:

Thanks for the replies guys

@Dr. Timothy Carman I posted a frontal view in my first post. I've also attached it to this post. About normal maturation of my hairline, I'm pretty sure its not that. I've actually got 1 hair that is left over from where my hair line used to be, I've put a dot on my picture to show where it is

Your hair still looks good. If it is MPB and you continue to lose hair, rebuilding the original hairline could create a situation where you run out of hair behind in the next 10-20 years.

Conventional wisdom is to restore a hairline above the original hairline. If you FUE to restore your original hairline, consider that to be an agressive appproach.

However, if you do not suffer from MPB, and your hair loss stabilizes, it might be a valid approach. Consider though, that most leading men in Hollywood,l even ones that do not appear to have loss, have mature hairlines that are slightly receded. It looks mascualine that way.