1859 FUE with Dr. Hasson

Overview

Hey everyone, I wanted to document and share my experience getting an FUE procedure with Dr. Hasson at H&W in Vancouver. I am 25 years old and live in Florida, USA.

Background

I would say my "hair loss" started as early as age 16-17, when my forehead started to get higher. It continued at a very very slow pace, so slow that I never even considered the fact that I was actually experiencing hair loss that would eventually lead me to going bald. I've always had a really big head and got made fun of it for it throughout my younger years, but it never bothered me and I always rolled with the jokes. It wasn't until I was 23, after a haircut where I asked the stylist to go a little bit shorter than usual, where I looked in the mirror and realized what was happening. That's when I started to freak out and my life definitely changed.

As I'm sure many of you are familiar with this feeling, you begin to become obsessed with hair and hair loss. I would go out and the first thing I notice on any man is his hair or lack there of. I hated this feeling and I thought to myself...is it going to be like this forever? I experienced mild depression and a lot of anxiety from my thoughts on hairloss, thinking that I'm doomed and there will never be a better day for my hair for the rest of my life.

My dad has thinning hair, maybe a NW3-4 but is still holding it together for a 60 year old man. His brothers are all very similar. His dad had a full head of hear when he died at 93 years old. So I grew up thinking, I will just end up looking like one of them. However, when I started researching hair loss, I realized it can come from both sides of your family. My moms dad and brother both had advanced hairloss NW5-6 before they passed. So I sat there thinking, f*** I'm SCREWED!

One of my friends, who has absolutely no filter, was with me and my other friend who is experiencing hairloss, a bit more advanced than mine, jokingly mentioned that we should get hair transplants. He wasn't being serious, but it made me think, is that a real option? I always thought it was only for celebrities and not for the common man. So I began my research and within a week I had set up a free consultation with a local HT clinic near me, a doctor who is in all the top organizations and uses ARTAS.

This doctor quoted me for 1500-1700 grafts using the ARTAS and also encouraged me to start using finasteride. I immediately rejected the idea of taking a pill for the foreseeable future, as I live a pretty natural lifestyle and don't like the idea of pharmaceutical drugs. Regardless, after he wrote me a prescription, I did some research online....that FREAKED ME OUT!!! Everything that came up was how I would have permanent erectile disfunction and would essentially be trading my sex life for keeping my receding hairline. I rejected the idea of finasteride for about two months, before realizing (after reading through the scientific journals and other patients experiences) that the chances of side effects are very low and it is basically my only chance of retaining the hair that I have. With that said, I have been on some sort of finasteride for almost a year to the date. I took generic finasteride for 6 months before I decided to switch to brand propecia (1mg), and I couldn't believe the difference that I saw in the reduction of shedding. That made me swear I would never switch back to generic, no matter the price. Since then, I have switched to brand proscar cut into 4s to take 1.25mg/daily.

Anyways, months go by since I visited the original HT doctor and I thought I had pretty much decided on going to him because he was local and it would be convenient. However, once I found sites like this, I was able to see the results of other clinics and I began to think: maybe I should consider traveling for such a momentous procedure. I knew I wanted to go with FUE because of my young age and liking to keep my hair shorter on the sides. But the more I researched about FUE techniques, the more I did not like the ARTAS system and leaned more towards a manual punch.

I was incredibly impressed by the work of Dr. Erdogen at ASMED and their results, but I also saw the H&W started to offer FUE but didn't have many published results. Thats when I saw spideys results and started to consider H&W for my procedure. I actually appreciate the fact that they took so long to get into FUE and that they were guided into practicing FUE with Dr. Erdogen and ASMED. Reputation is everything in this industry and I knew that if H&W had chosen to go into FUE, that they knew that they could stand behind their results. No offense to the other clinics, which I have seen many good results, but for my own sanity I needed to go to a clinic that I knew I would feel comfortable with.

About my hairloss

Like I said, I have been experiencing some sort of hair loss since I was 16-17 when my hairline started to get higher. My corners slowly receded and got to a point around age 23 where I became really uncomfortable with how I looked and I was constantly worrying about my hair. I have a big head so any hair loss is more pronounced than someone with a normal sized head lol. If I had to self-assess, I am somewhere between a NW2-3.

Day of surgery

First let me explain to you the craziness of my journey to Vancouver. I booked my flights around 5-6 months in advanced after I had booked my procedure with Dr. Hasson. My plan was to fly out of Pittsburgh, because I was going to be in that area visiting family before I went to Vancouver. So my surgery is scheduled for Monday 08/08/2016 @ 7am and I am about to fall asleep with my wife in the hotel near Pittsburgh on Saturday 08/06/2016 @ 11:00PM, when I shot out of bed and realized that I had forgotten my passport in Florida. I started to freak out, because my flight to Vancouver was set for 9am the next morning. My only option was to buy 2 new tickets: one from Pitt to Florida and one from Florida to Vancouver, so I could go home, grab my passport, and fly back out. Money was not an option at this point, I could not miss this appointment!!! Luckily, the tickets didn't come out too expensive, especially when you consider what it would have cost in $$ and opportunity costs if I didn't do it. So I flew back to FL, drove home, grabbed my passport, went back to the airport, and flew to Vancouver. I arrived at the Sheraton downtown in Vancouver at 1:30am and needed to be at the clinic at 7am the next morning. I got a few hours of sleep and headed to the clinic and got there on time.

I filled out the necessary paper work and went in to talk to Elena, the lead tech who performs the extractions. She is super nice and knowledgable and told me I had nice donor hair. This surprised me because I thought that because I have more fine hair, that I wouldn't have a ton of donor capacity. Dr. Hasson eventually came in and inspected my donor hair, telling me I have approximately 8,000 FUE donor bank which made me ecstatic. I also have good laxity, but a strip procedure is not in my plans for anytime soon. Dr. Hasson drew three different hairlines on one side of my face to see which one I would like best, in which I went for the most conservative option. As much as I would have liked to go for a lower hairline, I would rather save any grafts I have for future loss. I never had any desire to lower my hairline, as many of the males on my dads side have high foreheads and before my corners started to vanish, I was never unhappy with my big forehead! He also gave me the option of having a more curved shaped hairline or more straight, in which I opted for a more curved hairline because I thought it would look more natural and I would age better into it. After we decided on the hairline, Elena shaved a bit into my hairline where the grafts would be inserted and then shaved my donor area.

After that, the extractions began. Yes the anastesia injections are a bit painful, but I knew that going into the surgery. During the actual extractions I felt absolutely no pain at all, but I have a bad lower back and it became sore after laying flat on my stomach for so long. I brought my ipad and cell phone that I watched movies on and texted my wife and friends during the extractions, looking at the devices through the hole where my face was in the chair. We probably started the extractions around 8:30am and broke for lunch around 1pm for around 30 minutes. During lunch and through other parts of the extractions, there would be 3-4 techs on microscropes cleaning and separating grafts into singles, doubles, and multis. Then we finished the extractions around 4PM or later (I can't remember exactly).

Thats when Dr. Hasson came in and made the incisions. He gave me a clicker to help keep count of the # of incisions he had made, where he would count to himself silently to 100 and then I would hit the clicker. He is very thorough and took his time.

After this is when the techs started to implant to grafts. I asked the main tech (can't remember her name, sorry) how long she had been with H&W and she said 10 years! Inserting the grafts took a few hours, but it was the most relaxing part of the procedure since I was able to sit upright and watch netflix on the TV. When we finally finished up, it was close to 10PM and the staff helped teach me about how to wear the hat they give you, the different medications, and all other post op care.

I have attached some pre-op pics I took of myself months before the surgery, but I will update soon with the pre-op and post-op pics from H&W themselves.

I hope I can help others that are considering HTs in the future, especially those around my age. I did an insane amount of research and I suggest you do the same if you are on the fence. Do not just jump into something like this, like I almost did when I began considering HTs.

I'm in the hotel now and do not feel any pain, but I do look kind of crazy lol! I had an old couple on the elevator ask me "what happened to you?" and I replied "I had hair surgery." They were really nice and told me they hoped I healed fast. I am nervous about traveling through the airport, but once I get home I'm sure I will be at ease. I have a wonderful support system around me with my wife, family and friends and that definitely helps a lot.

Thank you to the entire H&W team for a very nice experience. Im so glad I chose this clinic and can't wait to get this recovery process started. Also thank you to this forum and all its members and moderators. It has been very informative and helpful in my decision, you just need to know how to sort through all of the crap sometimes. I will update soon with pre-op and post-op pics!!

I also want to give a special thanks to N0Air (member on this forum) and Doug from H&W for the info they share on this forum to help other members.

IMG_2683.thumb.jpg.1a6856f78dbcc5934b8d93d977c880be.jpg

IMG_2684.thumb.jpg.e225f3601fab43ed95b0da63f40a3062.jpg

IMG_2685.thumb.jpg.85998eaca2edeb95050356683734496b.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats man. Sounds like a super positive experience all around, and great to see you did solid research that lead you to make the decision that was right for you. No doubt you'll have great results from this.

And I know those types of passport stories all too well. Lost mine once in college and didn't realize it until the day before I was supposed to fly to Chile for an internship. Cancelled flight, same day passport shenanigans, new ticket, etc. cost me over a grand. Also, the passport never showed up. It's like it vanished. Fun times. ;)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks pkipling, yes it was a very positive overall experience and I couldn't be happier with my choice in H&W. Glad to know I'm not the only one who can have that much of a brain slip and forget their passport, however it is not the first time it has happened to me. You would think I would have learned from the first time, but I'm just so glad that it all worked out and I finally got the procedure done.

I've attached a few pics of the hairline/temples where the work was done. I'm hoping to get the clinic pre-op and post-op photos tomorrow and I will update the thread with those, which I'm sure are higher quality than my own photos. When you see the recipient area, keep in mind that areas far back already had some hair in them, but they had thinned out some. So Dr. Hasson decided to put some grafts there to thicken it up. I'm also glad that we went with strengthening my temples. Dr. Hasson thought the follicular density of the total transplanted area was around 60 per cm^2

edit: my pics are coming out sideways and I apologize. How do I make them come in at the right orientation?

IMG_3805.thumb.jpg.ceb252867022224a5242b13309afcaf8.jpg

IMG_3806.thumb.jpg.bb6949a0899cdc91fad237470f998a1b.jpg

IMG_3807.thumb.jpg.566d2daa4db1a40b54879a51c5c6c9b6.jpg

Looking good, Trashpanda! Nice to see another Dr Hasson case unfolding live! What was the reasoning that you went for FUE over FUT?

From looking at N0air's post I think FUE heals much faster than FUT - my head was like a balloon for a few days after my procedure. My redness also took over 2 months to disappear!

Keep us updated and happy growing!

Hi TJ, thanks for the kind words. Even though H&W is renowned as one of the best FUT clinics in the world, I decided with FUE because I really like to keep my hair shorter on the side and wear more of a crew cut. I also don't think I'm mentally equipped to deal with a strip scar at my age right now, although I'm sure it would have been mostly unnoticeable if I got one from H&W. There's also the fact that I need to get back to work as soon as possible, maybe 2 weeks post op, where I can wear a hat to conceal the work on top and by then the recipient site should have healed nicely.

By the way, I just saw that you are a Dr. Hasson patient as well. I'll check out your thread.

I'm not even 48 hours post op and im already swelling in my face. It looks pretty funny I must say. Im going to look like a funny guy going onto the plane tonight. If I were to make any suggestion to other considering FUE, I would say stay a week in the area where you get it to give time for the swelling to go away and for the grafts to settle in a bit, so you can wear more of a hat that you like. I'm going to wear the hat that H&W gave me to the airport tomorrow and I have to wear it very loose so it looks a little goofy. At the end of the day, I just have to keep convincing myself that I'm never going to be seeing any of these people again so I just have to suck it up and make it home.

Edited by trashpanda

Yeah that definitely makes sense to do FUE then. The recovery time seems to be much shorter and, of course, no scar. I've never worn my hair short on the sides as I always used to brush them forward to disguise my hairline, so for me a 4 guard on the sides would be a dream come true and I see some guys on the forum can go down to 3. As such I didn't really even consider FUE as I doubt I would go shorter. I also noticed Dr Hasson cuts the strip fairly high, so I imagine a skin fade would even be possible with where my scar is. I think he does this intentionally so that you can taper the sides and bottom of your hair down if you wanted to as is now very popular, but I could be wrong! I was also told that their would be a greater yield from strip, something which I think was true as I ended up with so many more grafts then we had originally anticipated.

From what I've seen the quality of H&W's FUE work is on a par with FUT anyway. At this point in time they simply lack the extensive back catalogue of proven results with FUE. I'm certain this is something that will change as time goes on and they get more procedures under their belts.

Good luck with your flight! I think staying on is a good idea but you might even need more time. I was in Vancouver for 5 days after my procedure and then I flew to northern BC. The saline solution they inject into your head had fallen down my face and settled in my chin. I looked super fat! I took off my hat and sunglasses at passport control and the lady behind the counter nearly fell off her chair! It was tough but definitely manageable. In my opinion the optimal time to fly is the day after surgery or a week later. Anything in between is tough!

Update 8/11/2016 - 3 Days post-op

I stayed locally in Vancouver for one extra day because I had some pimples forming along the recipient site and Dr. Hasson wanted to monitor them and have the nurses clean to make sure I have a smooth recovery. I was glad to take his advice and stay, especially because my donor has healed so well and I'm not really concerned about people noticing I had an HT as long as I am wearing a hat. That is, besides the enormous swelling going on under my eyes. It looks like I got punched really hard in both eyes! Oh well, it will go down in a couple days.

I was so pleased with the extra care that the clinic took for me to make sure I was going to have a good healing process. Each day post-op I came into the clinic and they gave me two washes, once in the early afternoon and once later in the afternoon. My advice to anyone going through with a HT would be to plan to stay a week locally to your clinic. That way you can have them monitor you thoroughly and by the time it is time to fly home, your face doesn't look like you lost a UFC fight.

Here are some preop pics taken by the clinic..

2a.thumb.jpg.d0a34203d6eba0f2fe5d663f1ec1bce5.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.c35d53b0df191e43b7fa57ff61e79ebd.jpg

3b.thumb.jpg.a88a556a2fdd530dc507e074a08c5660.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.8bc35bb210eeef08507277a0aa1500b8.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.d569ca44da33bb31a8aec3593e2f99ff.jpg

DSCF9015.thumb.jpg.74721caf9f278b198e3128c5f70f526a.jpg

DSCF9016.thumb.jpg.4e657423dd328d14228736ffa96c0996.jpg

Looks great! Thanks for the terrific, and detailed, write-up!

You made a wise decision staying conservative. It's going to look great and you have tons of donor hair left for whatever your future brings!

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Thanks modernhair, I definitely wanted to stay conservative because there is some history of males on both sides of my family reaching NW6. However, my hair loss has been a very very slow burn and I've managed to stabilize it with medication. Thanks for your kind words.

I also thought I would give the graft breakdown

1's: 370

2's: 925

3's and 4's: 564

Transection rate: ~3%

Thanks modernhair, I definitely wanted to stay conservative because there is some history of males on both sides of my family reaching NW6. However, my hair loss has been a very very slow burn and I've managed to stabilize it with medication. Thanks for your kind words.

I also thought I would give the graft breakdown

1's: 370

2's: 925

3's and 4's: 564

Transection rate: ~3%

Very good breakdown! Those 3's and 4's should really help provide the density I imagine you're looking for. I'm glad to see that your transection rate was very low as well - Dr. Hasson's FUE techs make it look easy!

Thanks for the comments N0air and rawkerboi!

Here are some pics right after a shower 1 week post op. Almost all of the scabbing in the recipient site is gone and I have started to apply vitamin E oil to the recipient area as well as the donor area (around 2 days ago).

IMG_3871.thumb.jpg.d206d5b33064e937853f2ad82aaf3c71.jpg

IMG_3872.thumb.jpg.fc7794a0aefebe14901e7c2d932551ab.jpg

IMG_3873.thumb.jpg.198561de5fcec5765f5e95fc2931999f.jpg

IMG_3874.thumb.jpg.0d83e9f1d8600a7109ebf24f2da5acfd.jpg

IMG_3875.thumb.jpg.baedd72703beb417ba28640f7ca58d44.jpg

IMG_3876.thumb.jpg.8a80473f99090419b44be8d57a55bdc8.jpg

Thanks for the comments N0air and rawkerboi!

Here are some pics right after a shower 1 week post op. Almost all of the scabbing in the recipient site is gone and I have started to apply vitamin E oil to the recipient area as well as the donor area (around 2 days ago).

Looking great, Panda! Your native hair looks to be in great shape and I'm confident this will be a great result!

I applied Vit E oil myself day and night for the first 10 days or so. The only downside was that I I found it to be really viscous, sticky and hard to apply. Also, as it warms up, it drips down your head which is such a strange sensation. However, it did help to keep the area moist and prevent too much scabbing. I also made sure i would take baths and lie with my head underwater and let everything soak for 10-15 minutes which i think helped to soften everything up. I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to following you on your journey :)

I took some pics for 2 weeks post-op. Everything has healed very nicely so far and I think a few of the hairs have started to shed. I have taken it easy this whole time and will continue to do so for 1 more week. Still waiting for the shaved areas to grow a bit more before I get a haircut to even things out. In the meantime, Im wearing a hat everywhere I go. Actually, its the hat the I got from H&W that I like more than most of the hats I already had!

IMG_3938.thumb.jpg.1fce98b57a235482e73ee857acac6386.jpg

IMG_3939.thumb.jpg.4abf96c3e2734d4e3dd15b740443233b.jpg

IMG_3940.thumb.jpg.dad4f905f91ec8d6b06f746ef980c8bd.jpg

IMG_3941.thumb.jpg.48a97eef2bf78d04b4647483de7fb991.jpg

IMG_3942.thumb.jpg.164f086be47774ce26deb4418df0cf5f.jpg

So I am officially in the "ugly duckling" phase. After my last update, a lot of the hair shafts began to shed from the recipient area. It was almost 14 days on the dot when the shed really started. I have probably lost over 50% of the hair shafts so far and more are coming out each night in the shower. I'll probably get a haircut in the next couple of weeks once my sides grow out a little bit more, but for now its been fine since I can wear a hat when I'm out or at work.

IMG_4019.thumb.jpg.cdec331fbdcc863f15eefdde85eef5b7.jpg

IMG_4020.thumb.jpg.7fe8fa4b8d3880f4eec95e9d64205e06.jpg

IMG_4022.thumb.jpg.d338d604b60b635f250f37e2266d9163.jpg

IMG_4025.thumb.jpg.deb9fd6011ac4fe7913dd1031b7d457f.jpg

What do you guys think of this to help combat redness?

Thayers Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Formula Alcohol Free Original -- 12 fl oz

I've seen this listed as a treatment for redness quite a bit. I didn't know about it for my own hair transplant, so I can't speak on the matter personally - but it definitely seems like it's worth a shot.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I religiously used witch hazel and aloe. Didn't seem to really help as my redness stayed pink for months. Even now it's still a bit pink after a shower and after I put on Rogaine etc. It only lasts a few minutes now, but because there is hair there who knows if it's still pink throughout the day. My skin tone isn't exactly fair so it was kind of annoying when I was in the ugly duckling phase.

Thanks for the feedback on the witch hazel product guys. I think I will hold off on using anything and just be patient.

Here are my 4 weeks post op pics. I would say 90% or more of the hair shafts have shed and the hair that Dr. Hasson shaved along my hairline in the recipient area has started to grow back. I'm due for a haircut this upcoming Sunday to even things out. Still wearing a hat everywhere I go, but if I have to I can get away with a similar hair style as I had before the HT. On my next update I'll include a pic of my hairstyle that conceals the recipient area.

These pics are right out of the shower and the redness seems more intense than it actually is. I also popped a small pimple in the recipient area right before the shower, which looks enflamed in the pic but is unnoticeable now.

IMG_4086.thumb.jpg.1ea3bbfb4e845870383dfc4f88823832.jpg

IMG_4087.thumb.jpg.41ac153542595fbe769f21bf72421c57.jpg

IMG_4088.thumb.jpg.3de5b56a42031e41d5fc3e810f49cb03.jpg

IMG_4089.thumb.jpg.e600449f554ee4ae58ffa2eaa99e542f.jpg

Thanks for the feedback on the witch hazel product guys. I think I will hold off on using anything and just be patient.

Here are my 4 weeks post op pics. I would say 90% or more of the hair shafts have shed and the hair that Dr. Hasson shaved along my hairline in the recipient area has started to grow back. I'm due for a haircut this upcoming Sunday to even things out. Still wearing a hat everywhere I go, but if I have to I can get away with a similar hair style as I had before the HT. On my next update I'll include a pic of my hairstyle that conceals the recipient area.

These pics are right out of the shower and the redness seems more intense than it actually is. I also popped a small pimple in the recipient area right before the shower, which looks enflamed in the pic but is unnoticeable now.

Hey Panda,

Looking like you're right on track! I must say your native hair looks to be in fantastic shape - I am sure this will be a stellar result! FYI, in my experience, I found the next 6 weeks from where you are now to be the hardest part of the whole process. From 3 months everything starts to get much better as that was the point where I could take my hair back pretty short and the difference in lengths became much less noticeable.

Happy growing :)

EDIT: I have a tip for you - do not count how far along you are according to weeks. Use full months instead. It's easy to frustrate yourself if you're at 8 weeks (which is technically 2 months) but things are looking a little behind what you see on the forums. Work from one full month to the other and trust me when I say a week or 10 days starts to make a big difference in terms of how everything looks once you're further down the line.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice TJ. To be honest it isn't all that frustrating for me. As much as I wish I could fast forward a few months right now, I knew this was all part of the process going in and I think it will be good in the future for me to look back on the weekly (or bi-weekly) pictures I am taking of my progress and documenting in this thread. I hope it can also give more patients, especially younger guys like me, a realistic viewpoint of what to expect when going through with a HT. I know a lot of guys have documented their experiences on here, which helped me a lot when researching HTs.

Here are some pics I took yesterday of my current situation. My redness has gone down a little bit, but is definitely still there. I have the occasional pimple in the recipient site and still have a few stubborn hair shafts that haven't fallen out yet. I would say up to 5% of the hair shafts still have not shed, but a lot of my native hair that was shaven down in the recipient area has begun to grow back and I expect to be able to better blend it into my existing hair in a month or two.

IMG_4191.thumb.jpg.4c2bac9298cbcd1240d59b6ce9d7d563.jpg

IMG_4192.thumb.jpg.e8491e732d2040341978350b0a8eed63.jpg

IMG_4193.thumb.jpg.6ae102a51e272a6bba730329440ce7a2.jpg

IMG_4194.thumb.jpg.641cc9e6e28a293b829feda3eab71c7a.jpg