L-Cysteine - whatever happened to...

A while back L-Cysteine was very popular for people wanting to grow thick and strong hair and nails. It also made hair and nails grow fast. I used to use it all the time and believe me, it made my nails grow like crazy. Odd thing, I never hear people talking about it anymore. I've started taking it everyday again. Twinlabs makes a product called Hair Factor (which was a bit hard to find) that contains L-Cysteine, Biotin and a 3-1 ratio of vitamin C to L-Cysteine to help activate the L-Cysteine. I also take MSM. Just wondering if anyone else takes L-Cysteine and wondering why it seems to have fallen off the radar for us hair folks. BTW, L-Cysteine comes from many sources but one of then is hair itself.

Here are a few facts about L-Cysteine: (from various internet sites (google)...)

1) The largest single element found in the composition of the hair is L-Cysteine. L-Cysteine is one ingredient your hair cannot do without. Without L-Cysteine, you could grow no hair on your head at all.

2) "L-cysteine is essential for T-cell production and immune system activation. L-cysteine is also a component of human hair (research has shown it can increase hair health and hair diameter)

3) "L-CYSTEINE - Amino acid peptide bond constructing up to 18% of your hair that provides strength, shine and structure. Cysteine increases hair shaft diameter and hair growth density. Foods high in Cysteine include eggs, muscle protein, garlic, onions, Brussells sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, beans and milk. At least 500 mg. of this keratin-forming amino acid must be taken each day to even have an effect on hair. Cysteine is a powerful cell defender that acts as an antioxidant and also contains sulfur, known as nature's beauty mineral. A deficiency in sulfur is characterized by atrophied sebaceous glands which lubricate the scalp from the Essential Fatty Acids. Vitamin C in two and one-half times the amount of Cysteine, Vitamin B-6, and co-action of all 22 amino acids provide optimum use of L-Cysteine. In order for Cysteine to be effective it must synergistically work with ALL other aminos. A missing amino acid is like a missing building block that collapses the entire structure."

4) "Cysteine is a major component of skin, hair, & fingernails. Studies show that cysteine supplementation can increase hair shaft diameter and hair growth density in some cases of hair loss."

I'm not expert but when I was younger and took this common amino acid my hair and nails grew like crazy! Just wondering why nobody talks about it anymore.

Do your research and please tell me if I'm wrong! IT MIGHT HELP THE NEW RECIPIENT HAIRS THICKEN AND GROW FASTER. After all that is the role of L-cysteine. But I'm just a patient and this is just a guess. But like I said I did use this years ago and it did make my hair grow like wild!

You can buy it here Twinlab

maxhair,

I'm really not too familiar with this product, so I'm not sure whether or not it might help aid faster and healthier hair growth. If so, it may work simiilarly to MSM however, MSM doesn't necessarily speed up the hair transplant maturation process, such as new growth and thickening of the hair follicles.

Perhaps some of our other members also have experience with this product.

Bill