White 'blobs' around grafts after washing (day 5)

rws

I'm on my third FUE procedure now, currently at 6 days post-op. Just wondered if anyone else had experience with 'white blobs' around grafts after washing in these early days.

After washing the recipient region (from day 5 in my post-op instructions), I find that many grafts have a white blob around them - sometimes halfway up the hair shaft and not touching the scalp, sometimes around the hair but resting on the scalp (pic attached). I suspect this is just dead skin / waterlogged crusts, which are still clinging to the hair shafts, but would appreciate some more insight from anyone in the know.

I should add that I had exactly the same thing occur after my last two procedures, too, and had no problems at all with yield / regrowth, so I'm not particularly worried about it - just wondered if anyone could shed a little light on what they are! Interested to find out whether anyone else experienced this too.

whiteblobcloseup.jpg.e6e394a8e76c7888e33f2735a7d1d314.jpg

Hi Rws,

Looks like it could either be some tissue surrounding the grafts that wasn't trimmed away, or a little bit of normal fluid working its way out. This fluid that comes out around from where the grafts are implanted is often what causes the "scabbing" when it dries.

Either way, I don't think it is anything to be concerned about. But you may want to send the picture to your clinic, just so they are aware. They may have some thoughts and suggestions as well.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Will do, DrBlake - thanks for your thoughts! As I say, I experienced the same in my previous two procedures with no adverse effects, so hopefully it's pretty harmless. :)

No problem! And I see no reason for concern. Very likely one of the two harmless possibilities I discussed above. But do check in with your clinic when you get the chance.

Happy growing. Keep us updated on your progress.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I can't tell for sure from the pictures but I would disagree with Blake about it being tissue surrounding the graft as that should be below skin surface level. I would tend to think that this is just some of the dead skin or even part of the scab which can turn white when wet. You usually wouldn't see the surrounding tissue around the graft unless they popped out in which case, you would experience cobblestoning. This is very rare and typically does not happen in the hands of expert physicians. So I disagree that it is surrounding tissue, I believe it is just dead skin or some of the scabs turning white. Within a couple of weeks, and most likely way before depending on your doctors postoperative instructions, these will be most likely long gone.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill, appreciate your thoughts on it. I've sent pics to my clinic and am waiting for their word on it, but it seems like nothing to worry about in any case.

Will try and post some more closeup pics here later in case they help anyone experiencing the same.

Here's a closeup comparison pic I took showing the same spot straight after washing, and after about half an hour, when my head had dried. It's a bit grainy, but I think it does look like scab material from around the hair shaft is just getting hydrated and causing the 'white ball' effect - as it dries, it shrinks back to its original form.

Like I mentioned, I noticed this during recovery from both of my previous procedures, which grew out fine, but there was always a nagging doubt about what it actually was. Just waiting on my clinic for their say on the matter now.

I guess the moral of this tale is that post-op paranoia never gets better... Even the third time around! :D :rolleyes: The tendency to keep taking hi-res pics of the scalp and poring over them will definitely subside in the next few days... :P

5b32edd7bcb75_ScreenShot2016-07-26at21_17_15.png.084a5dc66845492c9bface814bafc08b.png

I'm on my third FUE procedure now, currently at 6 days post-op. Just wondered if anyone else had experience with 'white blobs' around grafts after washing in these early days.

I'm on HT #2 and was experiencing this. I was concerned had to reach out to my HT Doc. See the attached image of my scalp under similar conditions as OP and Dr Parsa Mohebi's diagnosis. He quickly eased my mind that these bulbs are nothing to worry about.

skinz.thumb.jpg.1ee6788838e75388ad01531e7f0147b4.jpg

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

OP was on Day 5 and they seemed wet/mucusy.. by Day 10 these things became hardened and were very annoying bumps on my scalp. Dr. Mohebi's after-care instructions said that I could wash my hair a little more aggressively starting Day 10. I did, and alot of these bulbs came out along with their attached hairs follicles on that day. This has me a little worried, but as Dr. Blake mentioned, the roots heal very fast (usually by day 4 you're good)... so realistically, the massive fallout on day 10 shouldn't be anything for me to worry about, right?? I can see myself worring for the next 9-12 months that I messed up my procedure by being a little more aggressive on Day 10's shampooing.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Thanks so much for posting that, Paulygon, it's more or less exactly what I've been getting too. Good to know I'm not the only one, and that it's considered harmless by others too (still waiting on my clinic's response, but am expecting the same verdict).

Seems to be a mixture of crusting (from the fluid seepage Dr Blake mentioned above) with dead skin cells, which cling to the shafts of the graft hairs. The water plumps them out when washing, then (in my case), they settle back down on the scalp as they dry out.

I'm now at Day 7, so will rest a little better until Day 10 now, when I can have a much more decent shampoo wash and get rid of any remaining dandruffy crusties.

This post-op worrying thing seems pretty universal, eh? :)

It seems that your scalp is properly hydrated, and the formations around the hair shafts could merely be dead skin. Hopefully, this hasn't caused any physical pain or irritation. Thanks for sharing.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks Mr Gio. My clinic has since been in touch and confirmed that it's nothing to worry about - as everyone has suggested, it seems to be a mixture of post-op detritus (dead skin / crusts / scabs) that hydrate when wet to give the bobbled appearance.

I'm now 10 days post-op, and all has settled down very nicely - and no more white blobs! :)

They're wet scabs. When they dry, they will turn hard and dark again until they fall.

Edit: saw that you got answer confirmed by clinic and they fell off. Wanted to confirm from another patient experience.

Best to you