FUE patients can run a marathon after 3 days

So this is a really dumb thread, but I saw a comment from William Rassman on Realself saying that a FUE patient could even run a marathon at 3 days post op, in regards to activity after surgery.

It just got me thinking, but marathons can be very demanding as far as physical activity goes, with pictures of people looking half dead or literally soiling themselves by the finish line, so would a FUE patient actually be able to do this with no harm to their surgery?

Yes we've all read the BS from various clinics saying it's OK to return to work 2 days post FUE op and no one will notice, OR maybe climb K2 without damaging the grafts ,just a marketing ploy sure there's no scar to deal with and recovery is undoubtedly quicker than FUT ,but c'mon who are they trying to kid

Bill Rassman seems to be a well respected surgeon though, he was the one working with Bernstein in that 'grafts are safe after 10 days' study that everyone references too in regards to graft anchoring.

After any surgery, relaxation and recuperation in my opinion is the best thing you can do in order to give the surgery the best chance of success. It probably is possible to run a marathon 3 days post surgery if you are that way inclined and are prepared to put up with the discomfort and take the risk.

But seriously what self respecting doctor would ever recommend doing such a thing?

I played rugby 7 days post op no issue.

Wow really? That is very very soon afterwards. Were you concerned about grafts becoming dislodged? I was expecting to have to wait at least a month so was postponing getting a HT until season is over....

I was but was reassured it would be OK - I heard well and it looked good and due to the importance of the match ( cup final ) played - all was ok !

Excellent, that's great to hear, helps me plan things a lot better. Hope you won the match too!

What we tend to forget is the fact that there is a fair amount or level of trauma to the scalp from the procedure. And even though it is not always visible to the naked eye, trust me, the trauma is there.

Mild activity is one thing however extremely strenuous activity that raises the hear rate and blood pressure could be foregone for at least two weeks minimum.

That's my opinion and obviously not everyone is going to agree with that opinion....:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Be sure to check with your surgeon for his or her specific recommendations. The main issues here is preventing sudden changes in blood pressure that could affect the grafts. And those who had follicular unit extraction procedures (FUE), I think you should return return to light cardiovascular activity at day 8 and light weights at day 11.

Changes in blood pressure are a consideration. Something else to consider is the amount of sweat built up around the newly made incisions and newly implanted grafts. A warm, moist, sweaty environment is a playground for bacteria. Building up a lot of sweat on the scalp increases the chances that bacteria will build up there as well. The last thing you want is an excessive amount of bacteria near the thousands of healing wounds and fragile grafts.

Like a few others said: confirm return to activity with your clinic. Everyone will have slightly different recommendations. I would tell an "iron man" patient like this to wait 10 days. Really give everything the chance to anchor and seal up.

Having said all that, Dr Rassman is a legend in this field and any patient of his specifically should follow his post-operative instructions "to a T."

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.