Deeply Depressed after Hair transplant

Hi, I had my hair transplant surgery 2 months back. Right after surgery i was going through a bad phase and had smoked few cigarettes here and there. now 2 months post op i have had a lot of shock loss . A lot of my previous hair is gone and i am not able to face the mirror. I am in greater depression now just thinking about how i had smoked and ruined my hair transplant. In deep depression not able to meet people and really scared that the hair will not grow.

If you read through this forum you will soon find out that from month 1 to 6 is the most stressful time throughout the process, so your at 2 months now, so in essence your in the middle of the storm.

smoking we all know is not good for you anyways but to do the same time can not be a good thing, how much this effects the outcome I have no idea but I guess it well could be a factor as this may have a effect on blood supply & the newly folicals needs the best it can get right now.

I see your on propicia, did you just start this in the last 6 months? If so that may also be a factor that you maybe shedding.

You must remember this is a challenging time for your scalp & your emotions will definitely be like a rollercoaster ride this next 12/18 months so try to be patient, try not to think about it maybe hit the gym to some good solid work outs, keep busy again this is a challenging time for you.

Try to relax & get your 7 /8 hrs sleep in, your body needs it especially this time.

Ride this out & im sure things will turn around for you here soon enough.

If your still feeling bad go & speak to your HT doctor im sure he can reassure you.

Goos luck.

Edited by ontop
edit

I have spoken to my doctor . He had re assured me and asked me not to worry and told that my hair will grow . But my shock loss is terrible and I look worser than I had before . Worst part is that I'm stressing too much and maybe that's causing my hair to shed more . This anxiety is killing me and has spoilt my life .

I smoked cigs at all points of my HT except during surgery. My vote is that it doesn't matter.

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

I don't think it matters either. I smoked as wel . I no longer smoke though. 2nd month is hard on most people. Try to chill out. HTs take time.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Youth,

Smoking a few cigarettes wouldn't cause an issue. It's kind of a complicated explanation, but cigarette smoking has more to do with the long-term healing and growth of a transplant; not so much the immediate post-op.

What you may be experiencing, however, is some normal post-operative shock loss and some very common "post-operative blues."

Watch this video from the legendary "Spex." My guess is that you will really relate to what he's discussing and probably feel a little better knowing that this type of reaction is normal and common.

Hope this helps! And try not to beat yourself up over the cigarette thing. Granted, these aren't good for you in general, but I don't think they led to any of the problems you described above; I also know a few cigarettes won't have any real effect on the long term results either.

Good luck!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 month later...
I think you should contact your surgeon about it ..

He did contact his surgeon.

Do you ever actually read the posts before you blurt your non-sequiturs into the conversation?

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.