6 months results 2900 Grafts Dr Wong, not much growth

Hi ,

I received 4000 grafts from Dr Gillespie in Calgary and wasn't happy with density , so I had another surgery with Dr Wong to increase the density ( 2500 grafts in the front/middle and 400 in the crown). Total 6900 grafts with two different surgeons. Dr Wong assessed my baldness as class 6.

I'm 6 months post surgery and still not happy with density , it still looks thin. Not sure if all the grafts grew.

I will post before and after picctures

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are the first set a pictures before you had any work done by any doctor?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I definitely see some improvement, but I would give it at least a full year before you expect full results. While some guys see the majority of their growth by month 6, it's not something that should be expected.

I would love to see your before pictures just out of curiosity. If you were a NW6, this is a fantastic improvement already.

In the meantime, stay patient and happy growing!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I definitely see some improvement, but I would give it at least a full year before you expect full results. While some guys see the majority of their growth by month 6, it's not something that should be expected.

I would love to see your before pictures just out of curiosity. If you were a NW6, this is a fantastic improvement already.

In the meantime, stay patient and happy growing!

I don't have accurate before pictures because that was my third surgery ( I had a couple of surgeries with Dr Gillespie ) and I started as Norwood 4 before my first surgery , I lost of lot of hair between surgery 1 and 2 . But when Dr Wong examined my scalp before surgery , he told me that I would be Norwood 6 without transplanted hair, he didn't want to blame Dr Gillespie Work for lack of density and said the area to cover was large.

The last couple of surgeries I haven't seen much growth after month 6, so I don't feel optimistic about future growth

Looks like you have has some improvement. It's most noticeable when looking at the hairline in the front that Wong did not plant in. In the before photos you don't see a break in the lowest portion of your hairline, in the afters it is clearly defined where you had an H and W hairline done. For how much loss you have had, I think you have a decent result with some growth to new expected. While it looks like you have nice hair characteristics, your hair is short and combed back with no layering effect and fairly light skin in comparison with your hair. Overall, it looks like HT has been a suchess considering these factors. You will likely see some improvement over the next 6 months.

I'm assuming you are not on fin?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

!

I found pictures taken 10 days after my last surgery ( DR wong shaved the recipient area before surgery) that might give you an idea about the area covered and how I would look like without transplanted haire, Those pictures don't show the crown area where there is also a big bald spot where Dr Wong added 400 grafts and Dr Gillespie 500 grafts

IMG_20160101_205926.thumb.jpg.4c06885ab4a568344a156e7539c55759.jpg

IMG_20160101_205929.thumb.jpg.40b2c759739971278cd0a8b6334c797f.jpg

IMG_20160101_205932.thumb.jpg.f786d134b65aaddb671775dc96541709.jpg

IMG_20160101_210103.thumb.jpg.cc0451ad8b0f6fb07a6d791d4b7579d6.jpg

IMG_20160101_210130.thumb.jpg.5275ffa9236e57d2eb38b4758d144c96.jpg

IMG_20160101_210136.thumb.jpg.21662c3bb47f0c472b1b47a412a976cc.jpg

No, after reading about side effects, I have decided not to take fin. I tried Rogaine but found it useless so I stopped using it

Did you experience the side effects with fin or just read about them?

Hi ,

I received 4000 grafts from Dr Gillespie in Calgary and wasn't happy with density , so I had another surgery with Dr Wong to increase the density ( 2500 grafts in the front/middle and 400 in the crown). Total 6900 grafts with two different surgeons. Dr Wong assessed my baldness as class 6.

I'm 6 months post surgery and still not happy with density , it still looks thin. Not sure if all the grafts grew.

I will post before and after picctures

Yes improvement

you'll probably need another pass or 2 if you are not satisfied with current density

I agree with you re: the 6 month mark comment

Not that the grafts won't thicken and continue to grow in the future, THEY WILL.

It just seems that if your not satisfied at around the 6 month point, you (the patients) more than not, would Iike to have another pass, regardless if you (they) do or not

As you have experienced, sometimes it requires many passes to achieve the density we envision, regardless of the growth

Looking good

image.thumb.jpeg.e61ce36bd5eb0aafab3bc13993e7fea6.jpeg

Yes improvement

you'll probably need another pass or 2 if you are not satisfied with current density

Not that the grafts won't thicken and continue to grow in the future, THEY WILL.

It just seems that if your not satisfied at around the 6 month point, you (the patients) more than not, would Iike to have another pass, regardless if you (they) do or not

As you have experienced, sometimes it requires many passes to achieve the density we envision, regardless of the growth

Looking good

Not sure if another pass is technically possible . I think I have exhausted all of my donor hair : almost 7000 grafts in three surgeries( 6000 grafts in the front/mid scalp and 1000 in the crown). I don't think I have any donor hair left. In the last surgery Dr Wong tried his best to extract the maximum but couldn't pull more than 2900 grafts. He couldn't pull 4000 grafts we have previousily agreed because my scalp was already tight with two previous surgeries

Do you think this what you expect for this number of grafts and for that area to cover? I posted 10 days post op pictures to give you an idea about the area covered

Edited by BaldPatient2

Yes improvement

Looking good

i dont understand, do you mean that there wont be any more growth after 6 month?

Yes improvement

so 3 surgeries with two doctors and almost 7k grafts and still not satisfied with density. I was wondering if hair transplant is a scam , or only for for very few patients or there's an issue with the work of both doctors

I can definitely see progress and I think you will be pleasantly surprised after 12 - 18 months.

It would be interesting like other members have said to see where you started from.

I'm assuming you live in Alberta because you chose Dr.Gilepsie. Did you think about Dr.Nakatsui?

Also was there a big difference between Dr.Gilepsie and Dr. Wong. Clinic, pain, cost etc.

It would be interesting like other members have said to see where you started from.

The pictures I have posted here ( 10 days post last surgery), might give you an idea about the area covered ( Dr Wong shaved all the recipient area before surgery) and the extent of my baldness.All of this area would look bald without 6900 grafts implanted by both doctors

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/183977-6-months-results-2900-grafts-dr-wong-not-much-growth.html#post2475679

I can definitely see progress and I think you will be pleasantly surprised after 12 - 18 months.

I'm not optimistic about it because in my previous couple of surgeries ,I haven't seen much improvement after month 6

I'm assuming you live in Alberta because you chose Dr.Gilepsie. Did you think about Dr.Nakatsui?

Also was there a big difference between Dr.Gilepsie and Dr. Wong. Clinic, pain, cost etc.

I had a consultation with Dr.Nakatsui after my second surgery with Dr Gillespie and before my last surgery with Dr Wong . He said this a low density hair transplant. The reason why I didn't move forward with Dr.Nakatsui because he didn't give me a clear answer why this was a low density transplant? Was it because of the large area covered ?or because of some grafts didn't grow ?or because of the doctor lack of skills? or because of my hair characteristics ?

Dr Wong refused to blame Dr Gillespie work and told me this was because the area to cover was large and needed more hair.

The main difference between the surgery with Dr Wong and Gillespie is that Dr Wong operates on two patients in the same day, so he spends less time with patients compared to Dr Gillespie who has one patient per day.

so 3 surgeries with two doctors and almost 7k grafts and still not satisfied with density. I was wondering if hair transplant is a scam , or only for for very few patients or there's an issue with the work of both doctors

PM'd you

i dont understand, do you mean that there wont be any more growth after 6 month?

There will be definite growth and maturing after 6 months

It is just my experience that if you are unhappy at around 6 months in terms of progress/design you will likely want to have another HT pass

Regardless of my past experience, this is a great improvement even at 6 months and will improve even further; hopefully, to the patient's satisfaction. If not there is always, rogaine, fin, and FUE.

Edited by rev333

Talk to any HT Doctor and they will all agree on one indisputable fact: it takes 12-18 months to see the final result of a transplant. Most of us on this forum know this, and yet many of us will be concerned that the HT failed at just 6 months time. Patience my friend! You went to a great, world-renowned surgeon. Give the hair time to grow in and mature.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

There will be definite growth and maturing after 6 months

It is just my experience that if you are unhappy at around the 6 month term you will likely want to have another HT pass

The 6 month stage is way too early to decide whether another transplant is needed.

The hairs have only started to grow and be visible at the 4 month mark so how in hell in just 2 months later does anyone expect anything near the final result is beyond me.